Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown tanks

AOK4

Hello,

Does anybody know anything about these tanks? Name: ...RY SAM, Serial: A.3 12.59 (unsure)? and A.1 1.3?

Jan

tank2.jpg.9b3ac00b0cab39df771ef7720dc2419c.jpg

tank.jpg

Edited by AOK4

Nobody? I assume it may have been around Hollebeke. One of the tanks would have been on a railway track as it had tried advancing using it.

Jan

I have had a look through my list of tank names and I can't find anything that matches 'SAM'. 

For the second tank, I *think* I can make out enough to infer

LS

SLIPPERY

SAM

Can't see that name anywhere on the Landships site though.

Mark

Hello,

I had already searched that website as well but couldn't find any "Sam"...

How about the serials? I can't find anything that resembles them on that website either.

Would "A Battalion" have been near Hollebeke (White Chateau) and Warneton and have lost two tanks there? (as other pictures from the lot are from that area)

Jan

When searching a bit, I found that "Slippery Sam" was a movie character played by Victor Potel in the early 20th century.

2 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

I had already searched that website as well but couldn't find any "Sam"...

How about the serials? I can't find anything that resembles them on that website either.

Would "A Battalion" have been near Hollebeke (White Chateau) and Warneton and have lost two tanks there? (as other pictures from the lot are from that area)

Jan

Yes!   On 7 Jun 17 they lost A59 - 2024 near the White Chateau. I don't have a name for that tank. It was in 12 Sect in 3 Coy, A Bn which equals  A3.12.59.  Well done.

Using the same logic A1.1.3 works out as tank 2689, crew A3, 1 Sect, 1 Coy, A Bn.  That tank was abandoned around Joye Farm.

Paging @Sidearm.  

Edited by Gareth Davies

5 hours ago, MBrockway said:

For the second tank, I *think* I can make out enough to infer

LS

SLIPPERY

SAM

Can't see that name anywhere on the Landships site though.

Mark

Good eyesight, well done Mark.

Are there the letters HM before the letters LS? 

Edited by Gareth Davies

Thanks a lot for all your answers, I'll investigate a bit further to see whether I can confirm them.

HMLS may be possible, I think there may be an "M" before "LS", but the picture is quite faint.

Jan

Where did you get the photographs Jan? Are they ones I might have seen before?

3 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Where did you get the photographs Jan? Are they ones I might have seen before?

They are from a small collection of German photos from a man in Fußartillerie-Regiment 8 who was around there in 1918.  hadn't seen them before.

Jan

Nice find, thanks for sharing those 2.

You've already done all the hard work on these photos, so I can relax...B)

A Battalion used this unusual method of marking the exact place of its tanks in the Battalion even up to and including Cambrai.  The name HMLS Slippery Sam wasn't previously known, but dates the tank to before mid July 1917 when the systematic naming of tanks after the Battalion letter was introduced.

Might I ask whether these are the whole photos or just parts of them?  If they are parts, might we see the whole pictures, please?

Thanks for posting, and congratulations on the detective work.

Gwyn

Some more photos of 2689.  You'll see it has a name painted on its glacis plate.  If anyone would like a challenge - can it be read?  I think it starts THE...

Gwyn

Mk IVF 2689 [1].jpg

Mk IVF 2689 [2].jpg

Mk IVF 2689 [3].jpg

I'm struggling with this one Gwyn - it definitely begins with 'THE', then *possibly* TI.... or LI.... (?LITTLE?) and the second line *could* be EWAN ?

5a7628135fdce_5a75d1be69fc5_MkIVF26891.jpg.0a5ba2428c435dfadf85d960eb8d59e3-Copy.jpg.6bdce95a306f8e73cb0b16c76c38b634.jpg5a7628147ec48_5a75d1be69fc5_MkIVF26891.jpg.0a5ba2428c435dfadf85d960eb8d59e3-Copy-Copy.jpg.055916518b16af2a62c01da86a994256.jpg

It's not a great copy of the photo to be honest.  I'd love a better copy, on which it's probably as clear as day. I like the idea the name is "The Little...".  I can see Ewan now, but I can't make sense of it.  I'd expect a name that meant something - a racehorse, play, book, film, musical, a character, a slogan etc, but The Little Ewan doesn't work.

Gwyn

7 hours ago, 2ndCMR said:

LS  A.38 (33?)

SLIPPERY 12.59

SAM

Is what I see.

The 'M' of HMLS is also definitely there

Just now, MBrockway said:

The 'M' of HMLS is also definitely there

I believe you're right and I was pondering what looked like the bottom center of an "M", but couldn't decide if there was something else between it and the "L"

It is definitely A.3. - see attached fresh scan

2024 close up.png

On 03/02/2018 at 15:15, Sidearm said:

Some more photos of 2689.  You'll see it has a name painted on its glacis plate.  If anyone would like a challenge - can it be read?  I think it starts THE...

Gwyn

Mk IVF 2689 [1].jpg

Mk IVF 2689 [2].jpg

Mk IVF 2689 [3].jpg

I see 'THE LITTLE B???R' .....good game this!

Chris

Thought we were done with 2024 Slippery Sam [A3.12.59 => A Bn, 3 Coy, 12 Section, Tank A59] :D, but to summarise, this is what collectively we can see ....

HMLS       A.3

SLIPPERY    12.59

SAM

Key

M - clearly legible

M - partly legible

M - inferred from context

Agreed.

Many thanks to Jan for the initial post.

I'm very pleased that he was able to provide a photo of the tank which Arthur Spreadborough was driving on 7 June 1917 when he was sadly killed - see my original post : Tank 2024 A59, White Chateau, Hollebeke