trajan

Lordonbahn

lordonbahn_2.jpg

lordonbahn_map.jpg

trajan

Thalbahn map - this appears in the Kriegsbahnen im Elsass book

bigmap_3000px.jpg

trajan

And the biggie, previuously unposted, the general map of the front... This measures about 1 x 1.5 m...

biggermap_3000px.jpg

trajan

Now for those spare locomotive shots - they have been scanned at a higher resolution but look rather dark to me - Egbert. in particular, any comments? Remember, the middle one here is a postcard...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

trajan

If necessary, shall I try and get these re-done?

04.JPG

05.jpg

06.jpg

trajan

07.jpg

08.JPG

09.jpg

trajan

Last three of the loose photographs.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.JPG

trajan

Egbert, these new scans of the loose photographs do not seem to have 'performed' as well as the new scans from the album - let me know your opinion, please - and any others who wish to comment, yes, please do!

Julian

trajan
Posted (edited)

And I see that the big one of the front lines and the railways performs better as a PDF...20180514133845742.pdf - NO IT DOES NOT!

Hmmm, works better on my computer than here

Edited by trajan
Correction

Ottokarl

Dear all,

I have just joined the forum having been alerted to this great album by a French colleague. Let me quickly introduce myself. I live near Freiburg, within sight of the Vosges, and I have been working on a book about the Vosges in the First World War since 2012. One of the areas I am trying to cover is the railways etc. behind the front, hence my interest in this particular album. I think I can contribute some more information on this issue, e.g. the cable car station at Rieth still exists, as well as another one (of a different line) near ferme auberge Strohberg - I'll try to attach pictures.

Ok, it seems to work. The first two show the station at Rieth, from where that cable car continued to the Ilienkopf. The third picture shows the station below the summit of Petit Ballon, i.e. below the wooden station shown in the album.

11.05.2014 (23).JPG

11.05.2014 (24).JPG

Petit Ballon 6.04.2017 (4).JPG

Ottokarl

As it is so easy - two more from above Wisembach, i.e. the end of one of the branches of the Lordonbahn. A "Förderbahn" continued in that direction from the Chaume de Lusse, and split into two branches. At the end of the southern one, an inclined hoist (Schrägaufzug) was built into the valley below, from where another one led to the positions below Hill 766 (which towers above Wisembach). There are other interesting remains there as well.

The first two pictures show the station at the end of the Förderbahn, n° 4 the route of the Schrägaufzug. N° 3 must be one of the things with which the rails were linked.

Vogesen - Nord 2014 - 1a - Wisembach-Lusse (13).JPG

Vogesen - Nord 2014 - 1a - Wisembach-Lusse (15).JPG

Vogesen - Nord 2014 - 1a - Wisembach-Lusse (118).JPG

Vogesen - Nord 2014 - 1a - Wisembach-Lusse (120).JPG

Ottokarl

Having gone through this fascinating thread again, I think you might find answers to some of your questions here:

https://www.amazon.de/Kriegsbahnen-im-Oberelsass-Jürgen-Ehret/dp/3864686881/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542264457&sr=8-1&keywords=ehret+kriegsbahnen

Basically it is a compilation of pictures, maps and quotes from various sources.

The author has his own website: http://sundgaufront.j-ehret.com/

Regarding the location of the station at Rieth: it's on the road from Wasserbourg, on the highest point of the road, just before it leaves the forest and reaches Rieth. There is a crossroads with two forest roads going off on the right. If I remember correctly, it is on the left of these and can be spotted from the road - that is how I found it. Nearby there is a concrete shelter with a nice inscription:

11.05.2014 (27) - Ried.JPG

GreyC

Hi,

nice of you to post these photos! Interesting comparison now and then.

GreyC

egbert

Ottokarl , sehr schöne komplementäre Fotos. Nice addition.