Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Ottoman officers in the Vosges in May-June 1918

trajan

19 hours ago, michaeldr said:

It's interesting that the older officer has a darker collar on his great-coat (perhaps indicating General Staff)

while his service jacket collar seems to be lighter and more like his colleague's (perhaps indicating Engineer or Railway Troops)

Good point. I have e-mailed Chris Flaherty of "Ottoman Uniforms" fame to see if he can help.

3 hours ago, egbert said:

5a6f03e244926_HWK(150)DrahtseilbahnUmlaufrad.thumb.JPG.80de80864864f3a6a79ec679e86ff298.JPG

3 hours ago, egbert said:

5a6f0475e9ecf_Riethwieseheute3.jpg.228952e79ef992cf1ebc95a1f5bee3d5.jpg

Heck - a pound to a Eurocent says that is the same wheel!

No trace of the concrete 'station' for Rieth? But that barn on the right looks to have the same roof pitch and slope as in the album photograph, and there is a hint of the outbuilding seen in the album photograph in this Google view.

Thanks yet again for the comparanda!

Just to be going on with, here is the front and back of one of the 10 or so photographs I bought and which I am certain relate to the same trip - these are all marked

"Reserve Eisenbahn Komp. Nr.16". I'll be doing a thread on these and some other railway-linked photographs relating to the "Bay.Eisenbahn Betriebs Komp. 4", when I finish the "Kodeis B" album, but this one shows what - - - I think are / assume to be - - - the same two Turkish officers at the start of or during their tour of inspection. But, pickelhaube in Spring 1918, even for parade use in the Etappe only?

inspection 01.jpg

inspection 02.jpg

inspection 01 a.jpg

inspection 01 b.jpg

Some great stills from the Vosges mountain war. German video with Feldbahnen, cable cars (Belchen) and familiar places on HWK:

Vogesenwacht

Edited by egbert

....and - finally got an information:

Res.Eisenbahnbau-Komp. 16, was commanded by Hptm. Lüdemann, assigned to  Kodeis A in.October 1918.

On 1/31/2018 at 18:49, egbert said:

Some great stills from the Vosges mountain war. German video with Feldbahnen, cable cars (Belchen) and familiar places on HWK:

Vogesenwacht

On 2/8/2018 at 10:31, egbert said:

....and - finally got an information:

Res.Eisenbahnbau-Komp. 16, was commanded by Hptm. Lüdemann, assigned to  Kodeis A in.October 1918.

Excellent Egbert! Thanks!

I am playing 'Catch-up'. obviously (it really has been one of theose weeks!), and will be posting more later this morning/today. Oh, and I can confirm a connection between the album and the Res.Eisnbahn Komp. 16 set of loose photographs from the same dealer. He won't say so, but there is no doubt on this.

Onwards we go - noting the news that I am likely to get a graduate research assistant this semester, and if so, s/he will be immediately delegated to getting high resolution scans done of the maps and things!

This is page 11 recto - as before, a photograph of the page for context and then scans of the original photographs

11 R 00.JPG

11 R 00A.jpg

11 R 00A 01.jpg

11 R 00A 02.jpg

11 R 00 B.jpg

11 R 00 C.jpg

11 R 00 C 01.jpg

On these Ottoman officers... I contacted Chris Flaherty, of https://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/ with regard to the two in the photograph below. He replied: "these are fairly senior ranking officers; the uniforms appear very high quality, and looking at the size and shape of the shoulder-cords they look to be a for a army general (or Liva), the other shorter figure, may be a rank higher as a star-pip is visible, perhaps a lower-grade Ferik." 

10 V 00B 01.jpg

Page 11 verso

11 V 00.JPG

11 V 00A.jpg

11 V 00B.jpg

Page 12 recto

12 R 00.JPG

12 R 00A 01.jpg

12 R 00A 02.jpg

12 R 00B.jpg

Page 12 verso

12 V 00.JPG

12 V 00A.jpg

12 V 00B.jpg

I hate it when they merge things.... 

Back to page 12 recto... With a magnifying glass the left-hand small sign seems to read: "Waschgelegenheit", the right hand one certainly "Pferdetranke" (with umlaut 'a' ) 

12 R 00A 011.jpg

And the locomotive number is 1091...

12 R 00A 03.jpg

:( I am beginning to see just HOW poor my 10 yrs old scanner is... If I get that graduate assistant, then certainly a priority to get several is not all of these album photographs properly copied...

Anyway, for now, page 13 Recto

13 R 00.JPG

13 R 00A.jpg

13 R 00B.jpg

And page 13 verso

Egbert, 'Thal' is valley, as in Neanderthal, but in this case, 'Thalbahn', does it mean 'Railway cutting'?

13 V 00.JPG

13 V 00A.jpg

13 V 00B.jpg

Page 14 recto - just the one photograph!

14 R 00.JPG

14 R 00A.jpg

Page 14 verso

Note how the 'supervisor' has 'Garde'-type cuffs

14 V 00.JPG

14 V 00A.jpg

14 V 00A 01.jpg

14 V 00B.jpg

And the last pages... Here, page 15 recto...

EDIT: Just noticed the deer/goat in the background on top of the cliff!

15 R 00.JPG

15 R 00A.jpg

15 R 00B.jpg

Edited by trajan

And finally (sort-of!), Page 15 verso...

15 V 00.JPG

15 V 00A.jpg

15 V 00B.jpg

'Finally (sort-of)' because at the back of the album is a slip containing four documents. This photograph shows them as they were when I bought the album - I replaced them in the same order.

The top document is a list of photographs that are NOT in the album but which form the "Reserve Eisenbahn Komp. Nr.16" group I bought from the same dealer - I'll post that below.

Below that a folded map of the 'Thalbahn', something slightly larger than modern A3 size - I'll show a snippet below.

Below that the handwritten letter as in post no. 2 (Egbert, any chance of a transcript and translation?), enclosing the typewritten itinerary as in post no. 9.

Last of all, a large - about 1.5 x 1.5. m. map of the front lines in 'Armee-Group B' area, which I have only unfolded once so can't say or show anything more as yet. 

16 00 end folder.jpg

This is the list of photographs...

Note that while the list has nr. 6 as: "Seilbahnstation Mitte", the collection came to me with TWO photographs with this number, the other one being as in post no. 80, 

16 00A.jpg

scan0001.pdf

This is the top left-hand corner of the 'Thalbahn' map. It shows (in red) the line from "Bhf Habsheim" to "Bhf. Tagesclon", located between "Tagsdorf" and "Heiweiler", with a branch line running from "Bhf. Dietweiler" to "Bhf.Schlierbach". The map is labelled bottom right hand corner: "Gedruckt von Vermess.Abteilung No.13 (Wurtt)" - with umlaut 'u'.

One question from me on this one - what is "Febamt" as in "Febamt Habsheim"? And office of some kind but what?

16 00B.jpg

OK, a bit disorganised here - kids doing homework and the usual Sunday morning disputes! But I'll try to start scanning and posting the loose photographs listed as per post no. 97 later today or during the week - class preparation and actual teching and houshold duties permitting!

So, that's all for now. I have not yet received a copy of Jürgen Ehret, Kriegsbahnen im Oberelsass 1914-1918 (2014), but Egbert - and others - feel frre to comment on any of the above (excepting, of course, my arocious photograhy skills and poor scanner!:blink:)

Julian

Julian, I need the full Thalbahn map please!!!!!! this seems to be a cut-off scan.

(Kaysersberger) Thalbahn is the name of a Railroad in the valley of the Weiss River, connecting  SchnierlachMarkirch in Leberthal (valley of the River Leber) with Schirmeck in Breuschthal (valley of River Breusch).