Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walking around Maltz Horn Farm area

KIRKY

Looking to do aalk next year around this area from Guillemont down to Angle Wood area  but cannot find anything in the Battleground books, anyone got any pointers of features , trenches actions etc?

Tony

1 hour ago, alantwo said:

If this is the same Maltz Horn Farm that you are looking for it has been discussed previously on the Forum.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan it is the same , looking for help with walking around there.

Tony

Tony,

I have the battalion history of the 9th King's on my website. The Somme chapter is HERE

I have plenty of maps of the area if you need me to e-mail them to you.

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken Lees said:

Tony,

I have the battalion history of the 9th King's on my website. The Somme chapter is HERE

I have plenty of maps of the area if you need me to e-mail them to you.

Ken

Thanks Ken a great description on your site very graphic!. I will send you a message with my email address, kind regards

Tony

I visited the Guillemont Road cemetery some years ago and the CWGC were doing some restoration work at the time. Driving back down the lane towards Guillemont there is a farm track on the left and a bunker can be seen about 300 yards along it, worth a look but walk to it rather than drive. If you look at the tractor tyre marks in the fields you can see where shells have been squashed back into the soil !

4 hours ago, Bellflower said:

I visited the Guillemont Road cemetery some years ago and the CWGC were doing some restoration work at the time. Driving back down the lane towards Guillemont there is a farm track on the left and a bunker can be seen about 300 yards along it, worth a look but walk to it rather than drive. If you look at the tractor tyre marks in the fields you can see where shells have been squashed back into the soil !

Thanks for info will have a wander down there next year,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2017 at 13:10, Bellflower said:

Did you take any photographs ?

On 15/12/2017 at 13:10, Bellflower said:

The German front-line trench pretty much followed the line of the track - the section on the opposite side of the road is Junger's sunken lane. I walked and driven along it often, but never noticed a bunker. I read somewhere that 30 or so years ago you could still find evidence of dugouts along the line of the lane.

On 12/26/2017 at 22:05, Mick D said:

Did you take any photographs ?

Yes, but I had a PC hard drive failure a few years ago and lost about two years worth of photos !

Ive never seen this bunker nor any pics in old guidebooks. My first visit was in 1984/5. You sure it was a bunker or location right. Not even in Peter Oldhams books.

Try 50 00 50.57 N, 2 44 10.14 E  You could definitely see it from the Cemetery which is why we went to have a look. It had certainly taken some artillery hits as well.

19 hours ago, Bellflower said:

Try 50 00 50.57 N, 2 44 10.14 E  You could definitely see it from the Cemetery which is why we went to have a look. It had certainly taken some artillery hits as well.

Can you check the numbers you have given for "E" please?  They seem to send me towards the Quadrangle, near Mametz Wood.

Thanks.

Fantastic , will look for this next time I’m over. By the way if you google Guillemont bunker , there is an image of a slab of concrete that looks heavily over grown with a small plaque on it, is this the one you saw ?

I don't recall seeing a plaque on it, but I believe there is one in Guillemont itself which might be the Google one.

IIRC the one I saw had two chambers and faced up the slope towards Trones Wood.

Bellflower - thanks for the update.

Mick D - I suspect the bunker you may be thinking of is located in Rue Ernst Junger in Guillemont village.

Reg

8 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

Bellflower - thanks for the update.

Mick D - I suspect the bunker you may be thinking of is located in Rue Ernst Junger in Guillemont village.

Reg

I’m aware of the 2 entrances on that street, I’ll see if I can post the image I found on a google search, may have nothing to do with Guillemont at all though ! 

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:09, horrocks said:

The German front-line trench pretty much followed the line of the track - the section on the opposite side of the road is Junger's sunken lane. I walked and driven along it often, but never noticed a bunker. I read somewhere that 30 or so years ago you could still find evidence of dugouts along the line of the lane.

There is a post on the Forum that discusses Junger's sunken lane as it isn't there anymore.

Jack Sheldon confirmed this and from his map and advice I traced Junger's sunken lane and walked the area I think in 2011, it was opposite the calvary if my memory is right and after about 50 yards turns sharp left along a line of bushes.

The sunken lane that is known as Junger's is I believe the one that Capt Hitchcock mentions in his book (Stand To) as he was in the area the same time as Junger.

Sean

Jüngers sunken lane has been ploughed into field though you can discern its depression still. The one that runs away from the calvary is not it. The two chambered bunker is in the heart of the village and not near where this "new" supposed bunker is / was.