Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walking around Maltz Horn Farm area

KIRKY

On 12/31/2017 at 23:52, Mick D said:

Fantastic , will look for this next time I’m over. By the way if you google Guillemont bunker , there is an image of a slab of concrete that looks heavily over grown with a small plaque on it, is this the one you saw ?

Doest say where it is though. Im intrigued.

We will be staying near to it in March so will have a look,

Tony

Edited by KIRKY

There certainly was another sunken lane, which commenced 25 or so yards back towards towards Guillemont and ran across the field to the area of Lonely Trench, and this constituted the German front line for its first section, before the latter turned back to shadow the edges of Guillemont village. The trace of the course of this lane is clearly visible on google earth, and it is shown in all contemporary maps. I understand that the sunken part of the still extant lane served an outpost section of the German front line. I would be the last person to dispute Jack Sheldon's research, (which I haven't seen) but I recall Junger writing that his unit crossed one sunken lane before taking up position in a second, which was 'a few hundred metres to the left of Guillemont, and a rather shorter distance to the right of Bois de Troncs'. However, he also alludes to it having been rather closer to Guillemont Station than either of the two sunken lanes.

The German positions in the outpost line (the extant sunken lane) were very close to the British trenches in the area of Arrow Head Copse, and indeed those trenches ultimately crossed the lane above the point where it emerges from its sunken section. Junger wrote of his men shooting dead some members of a British ration party who had stumbled into their positions, which one might have thought would confirm close proximity.

I seem to have read two translations of the Junger work, which I recall vary in their details in the descriptions of this event.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=50.0105&lon=2.8248&layers=101465188&right=BingHyb

Edited by horrocks

I began a post on 7th October 2010 about Jungers 'Sunken Lane'.

Below is the first post from Jack Sheldon about it, Jack put further comments and a number of maps on the post and a number of other knowledgeable people made comments as well.

The whole post is worth a read and the maps from Jack are invaluable.

'The' sunken lane no longer exists. If you look at the modern 1:25k map, it ran SSE from a point roughly a few metres E of the junction of the Longueval-Guillemont-Montauban road and the southern 'white' road running E-W on the southern edge of the modern vilage. It then passed more or less through the 'F' of Pre de Fort to link with the Guillemont - Hardecourt road at about Pt 137 on the modern map. There are claims that it refers to another, shorter sunken lane running WSW from the SW corner of the village but the time that Junger was involved the battle was for the one described above.

Jack

Sean

That is indeed the same lane, now infilled, that I refer to above, SMG.

Could you, as a matter of interest, provide a link to your 2010 thread.

3 minutes ago, horrocks said:

That is indeed the same lane, now infilled, that I refer to above, SMG.

Could you, as a matter of interest, provide a link to your 2010 thread.

I would if I knew how to,  my computer technical skills are limited, any advice would be welcome.

I think you actually commented on the 2010 post.

Sean

3 hours ago, SMG65 said:

I would if I knew how to,  my computer technical skills are limited, any advice would be welcome.

I think you actually commented on the 2010 post.

Sean

Did I? Lordy, time flies!

Left click somewhere up in the box that shows the URL (web address) at the top of the page concerned, it should fill the address block into blue. Right click and press 'Copy'. Revert to this page, new post, and right click 'Paste'.

• 2 years later...

Apologies !!!

Just going through some old photos and the bunker I saw was near Wancourt  Road Cemetery'

Sorry to have misled anyone.......