Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SPAD VII Markings - 23 Squadron

Starlight

1 hour ago, Starlight said:

From all that has been written on this forum and the Aerodrome Forum about what happened to Lt Whitaker, it looks like we have a 'who shot the Red Baron' situation, with the answer as to which of the two German pilots was victorious riding on two German words, 'diesseits' and 'jenseits'. I've examined all of the SPAD VII serials and can confirm that only one was shot down on the 6th December 1917, namely William Whitaker's B1623. In addition, no SPAD was reported as being damaged on that day either, which makes the idea of a highly experienced Jacobs, (already with ten victories to his name) claiming a victory simply by watching SPAD he was attacking go down, without first confirming that he had indeed damaged it (or the pilot) enough to cause the aircraft to crash, totally unbelievable. If the British aircraft he attacked from behind was in fact Jennings' SPAD with Jennings' gun was jammed, surely the outcome would never have been in doubt and the SPAD would have been shot down or at least badly damaged before Jennings could make good his escape. But as we know, only one SPAD was shot down that day . . . . . . 

At least there is no dispute over Kampe's claim later that day re the Sopwith Camel B2464.

All very fascinating. Maybe more evidence will come to light, both on who shot down Lt Whitaker's SPAD and also the colour scheme of his aircraft.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

Howdy Steve,

R Gannon got a little mixed up in his haste, but here is the rectified conclusion.

"Anyway, I just rechecked my log, as I remember I posted in some haste - correction to my appraisal - a 4 strong 19 Sqn OP led by Lt Jennings combined with a 23 Sqn patrol to attack a 2-seater. In turn they were dived on by 4 EA scouts from a formation of 10 (Js 7). Some additional notes/scribble tells me; 19 Sqn's Lt Blyth and a 23 Sqn Spad (Whitaker?) chased one EA East firing at long range. Blyth turned and headed back, but saw his fellow Spad spinning down. Undoubtedly Whitaker, picked off by the roving Vfw Kampe and his Js 27 partner. "

This seems to be the most likely way things happened.  Any more queries and I will attend to them.

Cheerio,

Caleb