Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non-political thoughts on tour groups & Brexit?

yperman

38 minutes ago, healdav said:

It was membership of the EU that got ride of them. No membership = getting them back.

Last time I looked the negotiations were still going on. You cannot possibly say that anything of that kind will "definitely" happen. 

On 11/16/2017 at 17:45, yperman said:

I guess I was thinking of stuff like long delays caused by customs checks, paying  duty on items bought overseas, maybe more intense immigration checks, the end of the EHIC, factoring in exchange rate swings, transit insurance and miscellaneous aggravation for small guided groups. As the forum has expert guides in its membership I wondered if they had any thoughts... 

It is like that now!

Prior to the EU, we went abroad and showed our passports (still do). The reciprocal EHIC card benefits EU as much as us. Exchange rates have always varied. In fact not many years ago it was £1 to E1 but not many people moaned as Brexit had not yet appeared.  Intense checks now after the recent terror threats.  To be honest I can see there bring little or no difference, except for duty free returning (not the show hopefully :) )  I always get travel insurance and will do so after Brexit.

An EHIC isn't a substitute for travel insurance, it will get you the same treatment as a local and nothing more.  It won't get you repatriated in the case of serious injury or illness. 

As for post-Brexit we'll need to wait until the negotiations are over but it won't be any worse than pre-EU.

I have been travelling to Europe on at least an annual basis often several times a year, since 1960, I intend to continue. It wasn't as I remember a problem in 1960 doubt it will be a problem after Brexit. OK the rules were different on customs and passport control was dealt with differently but so it is in many parts of the world, but it doesn't stop us going.

We don't know that yet.

Quite right. As of now we know absolutely nothing, and people who claim otherwise are just plain wrong. Opinions should not be confused with facts. 

4 hours ago, Heid the Ba' said:

...  but it won't be any worse than pre-EU.

Aspects of it could be - just look at the interminable queues at immigration in US airports - they have got a lot worse since 1974. I have to suffer these when I go to the US - post Brexit it could be similar when I fly to Berlin. 

• 8 months later...

I have woken this NON-POLITICAL thread up a year on after listening to the BBC Radio 4 'World Today' programme- it seems there will be - if there is a hard Brexit - major issues for battle field tours. The BBC claimed  there are NO British customs/immigration infrastructure upgrades  or plans for it at Dover  (it is reported the Dutch have recruited 1000 more customs officers) and British driving licences will not be valid in 7 months time in France/Belgium  time if there is no agreement. There have been several BBC reports that even a few minutes (2 to 3) delay could cause 30 mile long truck queues and  congestion on the Kent motorways. There is too the question of other paperwork e.g,. laws,  insurance and health care. Given that Oddschecker (a site giving all the main UK  bookies odds) their opinion is that there will be a 60% chance of said hard Brexit and I wondered what members thoughts are? (Non-political of course).

1 hour ago, yperman said:

British driving licences will not be valid in 7 months time in France/Belgium  time if there is no agreement.

and presumably the same will apply to French/Belgian licences in the UK?  What provision are France/Belgium (and presumably other EU countries) putting in place for this eventuality?

I guess it will be "wait and see".

I have woken this NON-POLITICAL thread up a year on after listening to the BBC Radio 4 'World Today' programme- it seems there will be - if there is a hard Brexit - major issues for battle field tours. The BBC claimed  there are NO British customs/immigration infrastructure upgrades  or plans for it at Dover  (it is reported the Dutch have recruited 1000 more customs officers) and British driving licences will not be valid in 7 months time in France/Belgium  time if there is no agreement. There have been several BBC reports that even a few minutes (2 to 3) delay could cause 30 mile long truck queues and  congestion on the Kent motorways. There is too the question of other paperwork e.g,. laws,  insurance and health care. Given that Oddschecker (a site giving all the main UK  bookies odds) their opinion is that there will be a 60% chance of said hard Brexit and I wondered what members thoughts are? (Non-political of course).

Your faith in the accuracy of the BBC is touching.

On 17/11/2017 at 18:43, trenchtrotter said:

Will UK guides be allowed to practise over there. Work permit required?

I see no reason why British tour guides, employed by a British company, would require EU work permits to take tours in France, Belgium etc. If they are self-employed, or work for an EU-based company, they might need an EU work permit.

Ron

5 hours ago, Don Regiano said:
5 hours ago, sassenach said:

Your faith in the accuracy of the BBC is touching.

I guess it will be "wait and see".

Don what triggered this post was the report was broadcast as I was contemplating a booking for next year - I wondered if like me anyone else had considered Brexit's impact on touring - and -for now- I am not worried about our French/Belgian friends or work permits. I am worried about MONTHS of massive congestion and delays coupled with chaotic paperwork and lack of preparation over here. I come from Dover and none of the infrastructure, systems or customs/immigration staff have even been thought of never mind funded/recruited/ set up. The flows of HGVs run - as I am sure you have seen -into  1000s a day and they will cause congestion on an epic scale on both sides of the Channel- if the bookies are right. I doubt if the tunnel will be any better. I am not keen on hoping for the best and making commitments  - wait and see runs out on 29th March next year without transition time if no deal is reached.

Sassenach I agree the BBC is dumbing down (and not reporting awkward stuff) but this was the opinion of man who is a company manager and has spent 45 years in cross channel haulage and who has in person spoken to the Secretary of State for Transport several times without getting an answer.

I was interested in how other people were preparing for a real possibility.

Don what triggered this post was the report was broadcast as I was contemplating a booking for next year - I wondered if like me anyone else had considered Brexit's impact on touring - and -for now- I am not worried about our French/Belgian friends or work permits. I am worried about MONTHS of massive congestion and delays coupled with chaotic paperwork and lack of preparation over here. I come from Dover and none of the infrastructure, systems or customs/immigration staff have even been thought of never mind funded/recruited/ set up.

Yperman. 

I think you miss my point.  I didn't mention "work permits" (although I would have thought that if there were no work permits there wouldn't be a problem as noone would be attempting to cross for work purposes). I was referencing your comment about British driving licences being invalid and the corollary that I guess would apply to EU driving licences over here.  If no staff have been recruited (and you refer to lack of "immigration" staff i.e. coming IN to the UK) then where are all these immigrants going to be parked up waiting to get IN to the UK (re-using the old camps at Calais, on boats, in the tunnel?)  Do you really think that there would be such a stand off that governments here and abroad would countenance gridlock of the extent and duration not only on the M20/A20 but also on the A16, A216 and A26 on the other side?  It makes no sense.  Mind you, that hasn't stopped them previously!  Presumably they will, by then, have sorted out where the relevant checks will take place (no UK Border Control at the Calais terminal and no French at the Folkestone terminal of the tunnel?)

8 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

It makes no sense

Don, I am only going  on ( for now) about months of delays, congestion and chaotic paperwork really impacting on tours. The work permits, immigrants and driving licences are separate (but not unimportant) issues. The bookies - arguably a good indicator - give it a 60% chance of no deal/no transition time. I listen to Auntie Beeb and the same views are expressed by hauliers and commentators. 

What I am interested in is what -if any- measures are other tour organisers taking?

9 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

Rubbish!.....   You're doomed!

Hope - really hope- you are right and someone knows what they are doing - no sign of it in Dover!

10 hours ago, yperman said:

this was the opinion of man who is a company manager and has spent 45 years in cross channel haulage and who has in person spoken to the Secretary of State for Transport several times without getting an answer.

Exactly; an opinion. There is no shortage of those in this whole debate.