Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non-political thoughts on tour groups & Brexit?

yperman

On a strictly non-political basis has anyone had any thoughts on planning  tour groups post  Brexit? 

Yperman

Mosieur Barnier has intimated that the  EU (and others) dog passport scheme  is unlikely to continue for the UK. That lets me out- if the mutt can't go "sur le continent" then neither do I.

On a strictly non-political stance.....  is one allowed to horse whip former French foreign ministers for such heinous conduct?

is one allowed to horse whip former French foreign ministers for such heinous conduct?

I believe French politicians of all persuasions pay handsomely for this sort of thing on a regular basis.

I know that the group i was with last week in Belgium, have decided after 11/11/2018 to stop from going to Ypres for the armistice 

they feel that the trip has run its course and dwindling numbers.  

No mention of brexit,  I will still try and get out thetr

3 hours ago, yperman said:

On a strictly non-political basis has anyone had any thoughts on planning  tour groups post  Brexit? 

I am unsure why Brexit should materially affect folk effectively visiting another European country on holiday, particularly as the UK is outside the Schengen agreement. There will, presumably, be the need for changes to travel insurance if the EHIC is no longer available but that should be a simple matter that it will cost us more to buy.

By the by, I suspect that my trip next year may be my last - but that's due to a decreasing interest in the war, rather than anything to do with Brexit.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 15:53, John_Hartley said:

I am unsure why Brexit should materially affect folk 

I guess I was thinking of stuff like long delays caused by customs checks, paying  duty on items bought overseas, maybe more intense immigration checks, the end of the EHIC, factoring in exchange rate swings, transit insurance and miscellaneous aggravation for small guided groups. As the forum has expert guides in its membership I wondered if they had any thoughts... 

Mosieur Barnier has intimated that the  EU (and others) dog passport scheme  is unlikely to continue for the UK. That lets me out- if the mutt can't go "sur le continent" then neither do I.

On a strictly non-political stance.....  is one allowed to horse whip former French foreign ministers for such heinous conduct?

I wonder then, our dog has a French EU passport would she still be allowed to travel, she is registered at a French vet.

2 minutes ago, chaz said:

I wonder then, our dog has a French EU passport would she still be allowed to travel, she is registered at a French vet.

Presumably   the problem we have in reverse. You might have a problem bringing her back into England, if her passport is from a French vet. Our mutt has a British vet. thingy- but as one pays for a vet's inspection anyway, then it shouldn't really affect the matter should it?  His Majesty is rather fond of the Somme- He has an uncanny instinct to find the muddy bits even in High Summer. Little b*****er.

27 minutes ago, yperman said:

I guess I was thinking of stuff like long delays caused by customs checks, paying  duty on items bought overseas, maybe more intense immigration checks, the end of the EHIC, factoring in exchange rate swings, transit insurance and miscellaneous aggravation for small guided groups. As the forum has expert guides in its membership I wondered if they had any thoughts... 

As a twentieth century Chinese leader said when asked what were the consequences of the French Revolution, "it's far too early to say."

As you will know if you have been out to the Western Front recently that passports are now checked going out as well as in.  

I think it was G4S going out and coming back in by the French, then the good old border force

There will be a big change but what it will be like I don’t know, however does anybody remember what it was like going to France and Belgium to the battlefields before we joined the EEC in the early 70’s

Man's just winding us up - imagine the outcry from all those French vets raking it in for 2 minute check up.

The pet passport system not an EU system it far wider in scope - British pet passports work for travel to and from many non-EU countries.

13 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

Man's just winding us up - imagine the outcry from all those French vets raking it in for 2 minute check up.

The pet passport system not an EU system it far wider in scope - British pet passports work for travel to and from many non-EU countries.

French vets- Ah yes, married  by one in his capacity as Mayor many years ago(1981). We had taken the then in-laws mutt to him for his anti-rabies jab only the day before- Had we known we could have combined a wedding with a dog jab. Probably would have been better with the dog jab only-as it turned out (No,I'm not twitter and bisted).

But the alternative is better- plenty of French and Belgians make a good living out of the Great War visitor trade, so I suspect it ill turn out OK.But my sons (dual nationality and bilingual are watchful of travel news on Brexit so I will nag them for up to date info-What gets reported here about negotiations is on a different planet to what is reported in France and Belgium)

On 11/16/2017 at 18:19, thetrenchrat22 said:

As you will know if you have been out to the Western Front recently that passports are now checked going out as well as in.  

I think it was G4S going out and coming back in by the French, then the good old border force

There will be a big change but what it will be like I don’t know, however does anybody remember what it was like going to France and Belgium to the battlefields before we joined the EEC in the early 70’s

I don't know what mode of transport you are referring to but on Eurostar passports are checked twice in each direction  at the points of departure. 

Edited by sassenach

I do not think it will be that big a change unless the French want to be bloody minded. Also had my passport checked going out and coming back for sometime now, way before the Brexit referendum. Probably just yet more Brexit scaremongering, remember how we were told it would be, like falling off a cliff and yet trade/employment figures still improving.

Edited by stiletto_33853

Will UK guides be allowed to practise over there. Work permit required?

16 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

I do not think it will be that big a change unless the French want to be bloody minded. Also had my passport checked going out and coming back for sometime now, way before the Brexit referendum. Probably just yet more Brexit scaremongering, remember how we were told it would be, like falling off a cliff and yet trade/employment figures still improving.

Bloody minded? The French? As if... 

On 11/16/2017 at 18:15, sassenach said:

As a twentieth century Chinese leader said when asked what were the consequences of the French Revolution, "it's far too early to say."

Definately.

The only thing we can be certain of is that things won't be better, easier or cheaper for individuals or tour groups travelling from the UK to visit battlefields in Europe. If the right deal is done hopefully things will remain roughly the same.

Neil

On 11/17/2017 at 16:47, stiletto_33853 said:

We are not part of the Schengen zone so we need passports to enter it - nothing new about that.  The difference if we leave the customs union will be a return to duty on stuff we bring back - time to stock up the wine cellar?

The collapse in the value of the pound has been good for exports, lousy for imports. Brexit has had an effect - but we won't really know what it means economically until it happens - we are still in the EU, nothing has changed yet. Hopefully we will still be able to refer to 'scaremongering' a couple of years after we have left.

On 17/11/2017 at 19:43, trenchtrotter said:

Will UK guides be allowed to practise over there. Work permit required?

Definitely, as they will be required for all British working in the EU. They were before 1974.

Presumably instead of going through both sets of border checks at the point of departure there will be one at departure and one on arrival.

The EHIC card works in Switzerland and EEA countries - not just EU - so hopefully a deal can be reached which means we can continue to use them.

Neil

28 minutes ago, Neil Mackenzie said:

Presumably instead of going through both sets of border checks at the point of departure there will be one at departure and one on arrival.

The EHIC card works in Switzerland and EEA countries - not just EU - so hopefully a deal can be reached which means we can continue to use them.

Neil

No real reason why border checks should change in terms of passport control - the bilateral Anglo-French agreement is not an EU deal. 

EHIC is similar - there is no reason why the UK cannot remain a member of that particular club. Might be some problems if we crash out without a transitional period in which to resolve all these issues. 

The big difference will be customs - we will be crossing into the EU so the French will be obliged to instigate customs checks.  No worse than it was pre-customs union, but we will notice it, it will take time.  

On 16/11/2017 at 19:05, chaz said:

May I add this as a (former)French dog owner :

1/ "registered at a French vet : ? of course, one (the dog !) has a vet you usually go to, but you can go to another vet, eg when you are on holiday in another part of France : the 'case' of the dog is registered in a centrral system, 'your' vet gives you the code number, and so, if you live eg in the Somme & spend holidays eg in Marseille, the vet in Marseille will find your dog's medical story on his computer (and thus will better know what the good treatment is).

2/ Last - but not least - in the 20th century, we, from the Continent, could not come to the UK with our dog(s) and had to leave it/them in quarantaine ...

kind regards from the Somme, martine

On 11/19/2017 at 10:54, healdav said:

Definitely, as they will be required for all British working in the EU. They were before 1974.

How do you know that? 

There is a major issue relating to UK citizens working in the EU in that it seems to depend on agreement on free movement - which suits remainers like me just fine, but is anathema to those who voted Brexit in order to control immigration from the EU.  If the UK imposes work visa requirements on EU citizens then it seems likely that the reverse will also apply.  

Sideline issues like EHIC, pet passports etc seem to me to be pretty much irrelevent - why would either party want to change them? They are not EU specific, they already work across other borders between the EU and non-EU countries so there seems no reason, apart from petty vindictiveness, that they should not continue to work across a UK-EU border.

Of course all is speculation at present, we will not know much until a deal is struck (or not)

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

How do you know that? 

It was membership of the EU that got ride of them. No membership = getting them back.