Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Medical Records on FMP

clk

51 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

FWR are well ahead of FMP, but for how long?

The rate FMP are going I suspect it'll not be long and I think Ancestry need to looking carefully over their shoulder.

Craig

4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Ancestry need to looking carefully over their shoulder.

Ancestry's unique direct access to original MICs, Medal Rolls, SWB Rolls and Soldiers Effects will still mean we need them. Its a big gap in FMP's offering. Frankly FMP's MIC transcripts are not very useful and they have nothing equivalent to these other vital documents.

Many thanks for flagging this up. Although I have FMP subscription I hadn't noticed these records

I could search by regiment, and my first look gave me a casualty for High Wood. Looks like an excellent resource.

Eddie

On 16/11/2017 at 09:50, David_Underdown said:

If there's enough info on the FWR one you might be able to use it to browse to the original image on FMP

Thanks for the tip David.

And Ancestry have the 2nd. page of a 1911 census entry, showing the address - which sometimes has more detail.

Kath.

I've just done a sample of 1, comparing Hospital Admission per FMP with FWR. I find that FMP have transcribed only the Index whereas FWR have transcribed the detailed record? Makes quite a difference. Don't know yet whether this is typical.

3 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I've just done a sample of 1, comparing Hospital Admission per FMP with FWR. I find that FMP have transcribed only the Index whereas FWR have transcribed the detailed record? Makes quite a difference. Don't know yet whether this is typical.

I would image this is the typical situation, and consistent with findmypast practice on other records they have digitised.  Where images are available, what is transcribed on findmypast would generally be  basic index details to enable you to locate the image, where you would then see the details.

FWR, which does not have images, has transcribed more details to compensate for the lack of images.

Cheers

Maureen

Transcription is typically more costly than creating images, so yes, you transcribe enough to make the record findable, then look at the image itself for full details.

Today I noticed that by doing a surname only check on FMP (with Royal Engineers in the keywords box) it brings up surnames under British Army First World War Casualty Lists for 1917 and 1918. When you click on one for 1917 it opens a War Office Weekly Casualty List and for 1918 a Weekly Casualty List. I do not know if these lists on FMP cover the period in 1917 before the Times stopped publishing the OCLs. 

Brian

19 hours ago, Maureene said:

transcribed on findmypast would generally be  basic index details to enable you to locate the image, where you would then see the details.

But in my sample of 1, (a 1915 record), the back-up document turned out to be the original index, not the original admission page. I've since looked at a couple more and seen the admisssions register. So all I can conclude is that just because a hit is made on FMP, there may sometimes be more info on FWR. Frustrating to have to double check.

2 hours ago, charlie962 said:

But in my sample of 1, (a 1915 record), the back-up document turned out to be the original index, not the original admission page. I've since looked at a couple more and seen the admisssions register. 

Perhaps you should contact findmypast to see whether the original admission page is in their system somewhere.

Cheers

Maureen