Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A,B,C & D Coys Heavy Section MGC Men

IPT

15 hours ago, delta said:

Lest we forget

Well done Stephen. 

Does anyone know the strengths of these units on embarkation? 

I'd be interested to know what percentage of papers have survived, as it seems fairly high.

Edited by IPT

The full establishment for a 1916 tank company was  28 officers and 255 other ranks including attached personnel.  This however did not include the tank drivers who were on the establishment of 711 MT Coy ASC 

Woods of D Company does show the numbers who deployed in each party but these do not add up (I've tried to make sense of it several times and have given up on each occasion)

I have found the records of another member of A Company: 1590 Sjt Donald McLaren Robertson born Stirling 1892.

A dental mechanic living in Perth, he joined the MMGS in Jun 1915 and was posted to the BEF on 14 Sep 1916. Appointed CSM of A Coy on 31 Oct 1916, he joined A Battalion as a CSM and was awarded the Medaille d’Honneur avec Glaives en Argent in Dec 1917.

Married Annie BR Jackson on 1 Mar 1918 in Perth; home address 5 George Street .  Renumbered as 200043 Tank Corps, Donald was appointed A WO1 (Paid) and A/RSM vice Bishop whilst serving with 1st Bn on 28 Aug 1918. Later promoted Temporary RSM, he was awarded the DCM in the 1919 New Year's Honour. 

He was demobilised in Feb 1919 and then moved to Motherwell where he died, in 1970, aged 77  

Excellent, i've added him to A Coy.

That takes the list up to 321 men from the four companies, with surviving service records, which I guess is about a third of them?

That sounds about right. Would you like a soft copy of my notes for each company? 

No problem. Please end me your email address by pm.  They are working documents so don't be surprised at the oddities of formatting and spelling 

• 2 years later...

I’m so grateful to have found your website and, specifically, the listing of my grandfather…

32562/205430 Gordon Ernest Fuller (Faversham) BEF 11/9/1916

He died, I believe, in 1958 in Faversham when I was 4 but I’m lucky in that I have quite strong memories of playing rowdy card games with him! I shall be celebrating the 90th birthday of his youngest son and my uncle, Geoffrey, in January and should love to be able to take him any information you may have…he is interested in family history but knows little about his fathers service as they weren’t encouraged to ask about it

thank you