Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1907s

sawdoc34

Cheers lads, Territorial Royal Engineers Anti Aircraft Company was my guess on the pommel markings...really need to find time to research that one🤔

Vicker is the 1st time I have ever seen an 07 marked on  the tang (that's why I bought it) & must admit my reasoning was on the same lines as Dave's Divisional Training CASC......another one for tesearch😣

Here is another reg marked one, needs a wee clean (this weekend's job) but it has a nice marking on the reverse ricasso that really appeals to me 😉

20170914_093601.jpg.3aacb73d140e8db20eb593178967b16d.jpg

20170914_093610.jpg.987734ef22414d6726fd238afe7bc740.jpg

20170914_093633.jpg.6e8ebef12078e6c19be5c87681fd93da.jpg

20170914_093640.jpg.e7b8a29724a8b7f08c9fc48b068aacbd.jpg

20170914_093701.jpg.74e74d9612a6959ae1b2316ee28909bc.jpg

25 minutes ago, sawdoc34 said:

Cheers lads, Territorial Royal Engineers Anti Aircraft Company was my guess on the pommel markings...really need to find time to research that one🤔

Vicker is the 1st time I have ever seen an 07 marked on  the tang (that's why I bought it) & must admit my reasoning was on the same lines as Dave's Divisional Training CASC......another one for tesearch😣

Here is another reg marked one, needs a wee clean (this weekend's job) but it has a nice marking on the reverse ricasso that really appeals to me 😉

20170914_093601.jpg

20170914_093610.jpg

20170914_093633.jpg

20170914_093640.jpg

20170914_093701.jpg

Another nice find 😂👍.

First thing that comes to mind would be the 1st Royal Ulster Rifles.., can't quite make out the date and manufacturer from the photos. Green paint obviously a good indication of ww2 service.

I'm moving up your way...they've all dried up round here.

Dave

Sawdoc,

With reference to your Vickers stamped 7 DT CASC on the tang, it reminded me that I also have a P.07 marked on the tang.

I went searching and it turned out to be also a Vickers.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/237980-vickers-p1907-bayonet/#comment-2384355

I had previously posted this as above; the tang marking is on the CURVED side, and the marking is ENGRAVED (54493729) rather than stamped.

The grip on RHS has the "AUSTRALIA" stamp, so this bayo may well have seen service in Oz.

The scabbard is stamped W J H over B on the locket and a diamond on the leather, near to the seam; no letter obvious inside the diamond.

According to Skennerton, H inside a diamond indicates manufacture by Hopkinson.

Regards,

JMB

Evening JMB,

J within a diamond would indicate Jewell.

Dave.

Hello Dave,

Yes !

I could not remember that for the life of me.

Unfortunately, only scuff marks remain, so H or J or....

Regards,

JMB

On 25/09/2017 at 20:23, Dave66 said:

Another nice find 😂👍.

First thing that comes to mind would be the 1st Royal Ulster Rifles.., can't quite make out the date and manufacturer from the photos. Green paint obviously a good indication of ww2 service.

I'm moving up your way...they've all dried up round here.

Dave

Guessing this one also saw service with the Indian army as it has the IG inspectors mark on the other ricasso....guess that would also explain the removal of the crown GR above the 1907 

On 29/09/2017 at 21:05, JMB1943 said:

Sawdoc,

With reference to your Vickers stamped 7 DT CASC on the tang, it reminded me that I also have a P.07 marked on the tang.

I went searching and it turned out to be also a Vickers.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/237980-vickers-p1907-bayonet/#comment-2384355

I had previously posted this as above; the tang marking is on the CURVED side, and the marking is ENGRAVED (54493729) rather than stamped.

The grip on RHS has the "AUSTRALIA" stamp, so this bayo may well have seen service in Oz.

The scabbard is stamped W J H over B on the locket and a diamond on the leather, near to the seam; no letter obvious inside the diamond.

According to Skennerton, H inside a diamond indicates manufacture by Hopkinson.

Regards,

JMB

Nice one JMB, did you ever find the significance of the numbers on the tang?

4 hours ago, sawdoc34 said:

Guessing this one also saw service with the Indian army as it has the IG inspectors mark on the other ricasso....guess that would also explain the removal of the crown GR above the 1907 

Certainly got history and well worth delving deeper into its post war service to give a full picture,

any sign of the Remington??

Heres another one,

A June 1915 Sanderson, quite nice as it's as it was manufactured with no oil hole with no further inspection stamps, marked up to the 3rd Seaforth Highlanders. They were stationed in Ireland throughout the war as a reserve battalion hence the survival....even if it is a little over cleaned still quite nice transitional piece.

I quite like the scabbard as it's reasonably early, no dates visible on the leather and not matching numbers, but got flush rivets.

Nice to display this one next to the H.Q. To see the different manufacturing changes.

Dave

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, sawdoc34 said:

Hello Sawdoc,

I never did. Clearly 54 million is well above any number you  might expect to see on a bayonet (54,403,729) so I let my mind wander.......

Is it a US social security number: xxx - xx - xxxx ? No.

Is It a US phone number: xxx - xxx - xxxx ? No.

Is it an Australian phone number: cell phone 04 - xx,xxx,xxx ? Marginally possible ???? No.

Is it an Australian Tax ID number : xxx,xxx,xxx ? No.

Perhaps these musings will trigger the recognition of an 8-digit identifier in the English-speaking world.

Dave, nice Sanderson !

Regards,

JMB

My only 1907 Bayonet Wilkinson 1915  3rd battalion  Welsh Fusiliers I think, any further info welcome.

P1030756.JPG

P1030757.JPG

P1030758.JPG

P1030762.JPG

P1030760.JPG

P1030759.JPG

Edited by Sabre 1

5 hours ago, Sabre 1 said:

My only 1907 Bayonet Wilkinson 1915  3rd battalion  Welsh Fusiliers I think, any further info welcome.

P1030756.JPG

P1030757.JPG

P1030758.JPG

P1030762.JPG

P1030760.JPG

P1030759.JPG

What a nice piece, with plenty of original finish remaining.

WEL I think would be the Welch Regiment, the 3rd battalion was a depot/training Battalion that remained in the UK throughout the war.

Made by wilkinson in May 1915, as manufactured without the oil hole and looks to be as it was back when manufactured. Nice clear inspection stamps on the grips, the scabbard still has its brown finish and looks to be similarly dated 1915. Can't see from the pictures, but if there's a number stamped on the top of the scabbard  that corresponds with the number on the pommel(4369) you have a matched pair.

The brown frog is a pattern 1914, manufactured by Hepburn gale and Ross Ltd, and is also dated 1915. Looks to have had the helve strap removed or was manufactured without one as was common for training battalions.

A very nice, and desirable trio...well done.

Dave.

Dave's comments are, mostly, spot-on but I do have a couple of notes.

1. The "oil hole" is in fact a "clearance hole" to enable dirt to be pushed out of the bayonet mortice, which otherwise hinders attachment to the rifle.

2. I believe that the maker of the (gorgeous) scabbard is Allan Cooper Ltd, Birmingham.

Also, I'm a little nonplussed by the 4,xxx number on the pommel. I can understand each man being issued a bayonet upon entering the 3rd Bn and taking it with him when posted to 1st or 2nd battalion for active service.  However, the bayonet/scabbard/frog look remarkably good to have been in the front line.

If that is not the case, are there other mechanisms whereby such a high number could be reached ?

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943

18 hours ago, 5thBatt said:

My Dads service number with the British Army from the 1950s on into the 70s was a 8 digit number 22295xxx

Sawdoc,

That is approximately 10x higher than my Dad's number in WW2, and made me think of another 8-digit identifier.

Latitude/longitude is XX deg YY min & AA deg BB min (if the seconds are omitted), but I could not find such a land location on Earth!

Regards,

JMB

5 hours ago, Dave66 said:

What a nice piece, with plenty of original finish remaining.

WEL I think would be the Welch Regiment, the 3rd battalion was a depot/training Battalion that remained in the UK throughout the war.

Made by wilkinson in May 1915, as manufactured without the oil hole and looks to be as it was back when manufactured. Nice clear inspection stamps on the grips, the scabbard still has its brown finish and looks to be similarly dated 1915. Can't see from the pictures, but if there's a number stamped on the top of the scabbard  that corresponds with the number on the pommel(4369) you have a matched pair.

The brown frog is a pattern 1914, manufactured by Hepburn gale and Ross Ltd, and is also dated 1915. Looks to have had the helve strap removed or was manufactured without one as was common for training battalions.

A very nice, and desirable trio...well done.

Dave.

Does have helve strap but no number on top off scabbard.

P1040385.JPG

Edited by Sabre 1

48 minutes ago, Sabre 1 said:

Does have helve strap but no number on top off scabbard.

P1040385.JPG

Very nice standard P14 frog and in excellent condition, sold out of service stamp and another can't quite make out jus above the helve strap, D??.

As JMB states the set is too good to have seen much service, and as for the high number on the pommel...don't know!!!but seems to be common with training/reserve battalions, the Sanderson I posted above is 3481.

Clearance hole, I stand corrected...I know what I meant...got a severe case of man-flu at the moment.

Regards,

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure whether to clean this one.....any recommendations as to how far to go with cleaning (if at all)?

20171103_121146.jpg

20171103_121221.jpg

20171103_121229.jpg

20171103_121212.jpg

20171103_121310.jpg

Aleck,

You lucky b....r!  If there's no actuall corrosion present I would leave as is.

Mike. 

Edited by MikeyH

6 hours ago, MikeyH said:

Aleck,

You lucky b....r!  If there's no actuall corrosion present I would leave as is.

Mike. 

I second that!!!

I'd give it a very cautious wipe with 0000 grade wire wool and gun oil if it were mine, and nothing else.

Really nice and early production...any markings on the pommel??

Dave

Cheers Mike....No markings to the pommel Dave except the usual sold out of service symbol.....have seen them with numbers on the pommel but seems only when they have the military district markings on the other side of the crossguard

4 hours ago, sawdoc34 said:

Cheers Mike....No markings to the pommel Dave except the usual sold out of service symbol.....have seen them with numbers on the pommel but seems only when they have the military district markings on the other side of the crossguard

Those crossguard numbers and a SOS mark - is that 'V' for 'Victoria' and so an Aussie issue? I have (or had!) one like that somewhere at home but honestly can't remember what it is for (don't collect hookies anymore...!)!

IIRC, several (well, some I can think of!) of these Wilkinson 1909's went thataway. The cobber down under will chime in when he gets up and dispenses his ex cathedra judgement!

Bl**dy nice piece! Is the scabbard contemporary? Any marks? 

A light oiling is all that is needed!

Well done, marrer, on another fantastic find!

Julian