Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell case marks

wendyguest

On 24/12/2019 at 19:36, Buelligan said:

I really want to learn but there seems to be a dearth of reliable material to teach myself with.  All advice gratefully accepted.

Too damn right matey! This is as good a place to learn!

I in my ignorance thought that the cases would have been melted down after firing. Has anyone any idea as to how many times a case could be fired as it were before being unfit to use? The transport back from the front would surely have damaged many of them as would ejection from the breech.

• 8 months later...

According to the "Treatise on Ammunition", 10th Edition, 1915, a case could be used for a total of 6 firings if filled with Cordite or 11 firings if filled with gunpowder, both subject to cleaning, "rectifying" (ie re-shaping and possibly annealing, etc) and inspection. They were protected from damage during return from the front by putting them back into the original wooden transport cases in which they had been delivered to the gun position.

The "Explanatory List Of Service Markings to be Found on Ammunition & Ammunition Packages in use with the Field Armies", 1918, states that "CF" stamped on a cartridge case base indicates a first filling of the case with Cordite to full charge. "CR" indicated a first filling of the case with a reduced Cordite charge. "PF" and "PR" indicate full or reduced charge filling with gunpowder (you're unlikely to see these last two on 13-Pdr, 18-Pdr or 4.5-in howitzer cases!). Each time the case was re-filled, an "F" or "R", as applicable would be added, to ensure that the limit of 6 or 11 firings was strictly adhered to. This was necessary as the rectifying process weakened the case each time and re-using too often risked the case bursting on firing with possibly disastrous consequences.

My brother-in law has a sectioned 18-Pdr shrapnel shell mated to a case (sadly without primer). I'm trying to decipher the stampings on the base of the case. Here's what I've worked out so far and what I haven't:

• It's a Mk 1 because it doesn't say its a Mk II or III
  • It was made in 1916 (6 o'clock position) and accepted on 25 April 1916 (9 o'clock posn)
  • It was initially filled with Cordite to full charge (6 o'clock) and I can see one additional "F" for a re-filling but the circled "A" (1 or 2 o'clock) has two punchmarks for two annealing treatments, so where's the extra "F" gone?
  • The original manufacturer's code is "MLW" (3 o'clock) - anyone know who that is?
  • At 7 or 8 o'clock is what looks like a WD arrow in a part circle: surely that's not a Canadian acceptance is it?
  • I'm assuming the "61" below the "MLW" is a lot number
  • What are the "HRY" above the manufacturer's mark and the "MRY" (Midland Railway, possibly?) below the lot No?
  • What's the "J-shaped" squiggle with the single punch mark at 5 o'clock?
  • What's the marking at 9 o'clock between the acceptance date and the primer hole?

I'd appreciate any help or corrections from the experts and if you can stomach it, I'll try you on the two fuzes and the 1917 4.5-in howitzer case he has!

579051146_18-Pdrcase.jpg.2811b617620cbaf5a5cdc48b1a467bc0.jpg

A Canadian case made by the Montreal Locomotive Co. Repaired and rectified twice, by Midland Railway, Derby and the Hull and Barnsley Railway, Hull.

The Mk II case identifier (and it will be a MkII case) has simply failed to stamp, viz the lower parts of 8 and P in 18 Pr. Your missing F for second refill is poorly over stamped where the lower portion of the 8 should be.

The J is an ill-defined S for scleroscope hardness test - accompanied by a punch mark.

Between the acceptance date and primer is what seems to be the letter M or N, an examiner's mark in this case. There is also the letter R, another examiner's mark (not reduced charge), just visible below the W of the maker's monogram.

Edited by 14276265

11 hours ago, 14276265 said:

A Canadian case made by the Montreal Locomotive Co.

I'm amazed at your knowledge and detective skills, 14276256. Thank you so much.

Now for the 4.5-in how case...