Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Replica set I made

Barry Russell

I made this medal replica set in memory of my 2nd Great Grandfather as I cannot find his Originals.

Hopefully with this set he won't be forgotten again like the past generations have forgotten.

Screenshot_20170821-130814.jpg

My concern is that someone's original memorial plaque may have been destroyed so that you could have a memorial plaque engraved to your ancestor. What memory is there for him ? The same might be said about the medals. I do hope that this does not set a precedence.

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

My concern is that someone's original memorial plaque may have been destroyed so that you could have a memorial plaque engraved to your ancestor. What memory is there for him ? The same might be said about the medals. I do hope that this does not set a precedence.

Copy Memorial Plaques can be obtained for this purpose, as can be seen here

https://www.militaria.co.uk/product/death-plaque-copy/

What concerns me is the trio, is it made up of reproduction medals, or are they originals which have been re-named? Either way, if this is not clearly marked "copy" or "replica set"  future generations may think that these are his original medals.

Personally, I do not have a problem with replica medals, as long as they are clearly marked as such and are not used to deceive. (I know that the later is not Barry's aim)

Sepoy

Edited by Sepoy

5 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The mould used to make the plaque is unnamed from the factory so it was never issued to anyone, as for the trio, the war medal is not silver, they are convincing copies but that's why I bought them, in order to be passed as fake they would need to be stamped and not engraved, I have done neither, I also left a note inside the frame for future generations stating they are replicas for a memorial purpose.

5 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Also 1 more thing Jim, this Plaque is made from Resin, it was cast in a rubber mould.

Edited by Barry Russell

59 minutes ago, Barry Russell said:

I also left a note inside the frame for future generations stating they are replicas for a memorial purpose.

I wish everyone producing duplicate/replica groups did this.

Also, I do like the way you have framed them.

Sepoy

I like what you have done Barry, in the remembrance of your Great Great Grandfather. Always Remembered, Never Forgotten.

Gerwyn

Well done Barry, and I see you gave him a nice write up and photo on the British Legion site, everyone remembered. Post his name on the medal forum and you never know, his medals may turn up.   Ian.

Edited by onlyme
Wrong title

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Well done Barry, and I see you gave him a nice write up and photo on the British Legion site, everyone remembered. Post his name on the medal forum and you never know, his medals may turn up.   Ian.

Thanks Ian, I've done just that.

19 hours ago, Barry Russell said:

Also 1 more thing Jim, this Plaque is made from Resin, it was cast in a rubber mould.

Then I totally approve. Well done on raising a fit memorial.

but don't mention copies on the BMF, their policy is not to mention.

I considered doing 5 sets for my grandfather and his brothers, but the 14/15 star has Aug and NOV so not strictly correct

3 hours ago, chaz said:

but don't mention copies on the BMF, their policy is not to mention.

I considered doing 5 sets for my grandfather and his brothers, but the 14/15 star has Aug and NOV so not strictly correct

Why is that not correct? I don't understand

If it's got Aug-Nov on the scroll it's a 1914 star (copy or genuine) but also don't get the issue.

4 hours ago, johntanner said:

If it's got Aug-Nov on the scroll it's a 1914 star (copy or genuine) but also don't get the issue.

I think that the issue is that there are a number of replica medals about currently that appear to be a mix of the 1914 and the 1914-15 Star which results in an incorrect medal that never actually existed...

Image1.jpg

6 hours ago, chaz said:

the scroll between the Aug and Nov has 1914-15 should only have 1914

I see, I did not know that, luckily landed  in Dec so I'm good

7 hours ago, chaz said:

the scroll between the Aug and Nov has 1914-15 should only have 1914

Sent you a PM Chaz.

Regards,

Mike

3 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

I think that the issue is that there are a number of replica medals about currently that appear to be a mix of the 1914 and the 1914-15 Star which results in an incorrect medal that never actually existed...

Image1.jpg

My God that looks awful. Do they come free in packets of cornflakes, or with so many gallons of petrol?

Regards,

Mike

43 minutes ago, Medaler said:

My God that looks awful. Do they come free in packets of cornflakes, or with so many gallons of petrol?

Unfortunately not (or, maybe, that should be 'fortunately not'?) ... they can be found (amongst other places) on eBay ranging in price from about £13 to £22. Worryingly, quite a number appear to have been sold (must be the free postage that manages to clinch the deals!:blink:)

Dave

thanks for the picture, thats the one I saw. 

I think the problem with ebay now is the majority of sellers are 'forced' to use freepost. we look for a bargain and need to be more careful. obviously not a genuine medalist otherwise he would have known. the worrying thing is apart from the mix up we know, its not a bad copy, woryingly with a bit of aging and stamping who knows what will be next. unfortunately, unsuspecting buyers who try to sell later will get a shock, or will they? its only a couple of pints worth!!!

at least not erasing genuine ones.

which is why the BMF dont cover copies.

Here is my Gt Uncles set of replicas including a replica Death Plaque and scroll. Somoeone in the family had his medals away and I cannot find them so decided to create a memory for him. Killed 13th May 1916 by Vimy.

DSCN3081.JPG

1 hour ago, KIRKY said:

Here is my Gt Uncles set of replicas including a replica Death Plaque and scroll. Somoeone in the family had his medals away and I cannot find them so decided to create a memory for him. Killed 13th May 1916 by Vimy.

DSCN3081.JPG

that's a real nice setup 

Dads WW2 originals but only claimed two years ago.

IMG_1804.JPG.8bf221d701e0f8817dd8cb8855cf5027.JPG

Grandfathers WW2, IGS and RAF LSGC Medal and MiD laurel all replicas

IMG_1805.JPG.52381d2f13450f20ddca600d2279f372.JPG

Grandads WW1 Trio replicas plus original Naval Brigade lapel badge.

IMG_1806.JPG.8e9cc9cb737ba2f991d9e55fcff8e4e0.JPG

I see absolutely nothing wrong with replica medals that form a family memorial. In the entrance hall to my home I have four sets of medals, three commemorate family members who fought in WW2 and WW1 plus my own from military service in the second half of 20th century. The sets are a mixture of originals and replicas and they are always a talking point when people visit my home.

I have my Great Uncles Scroll framed, Death Plaque framed, Medals framed, a photo of his Celtic Cross framed. I think now they would have looked tidier in one frame.

Gerwyn

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:46, KIRKY said:

DSCN3081.JPG

What kind of setup is this? Is the frame purpose built or did you make it?