Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Replica set I made

Barry Russell

9 hours ago, Barry Russell said:

What kind of setup is this? Is the frame purpose built or did you make it?

Hi everything in the display is replica apart from the photo of my Gt Uncle. The display was made by my company www.honoursandawards.co.uk his medals disappeared after a family deathy many years ago. We made this for a trip to Vimy last year on the 100th anniversary of his death. He is remembered on Port Sunlight Memorial.

Tony

19 hours ago, Lawryleslie said:

Dads WW2 originals but only claimed two years ago

Hi Lawryleslie, I was issued with my Dads two North West Frontier Medals in 2005, I already had his WW2 medals.

Gerwyn

6 hours ago, pioneecorps said:

Hi Lawryleslie, I was issued with my Dads two North West Frontier Medals in 2005, I already had his WW2 medals.

Gerwyn

That's interesting Gerwyn. Thought NWF was a clasp on the Indian General Service Medal that depicted the dates of service. am I right in thinking these medals were solid silver?

13 hours ago, Lawryleslie said:

That's interesting Gerwyn. Thought NWF was a clasp on the Indian General Service Medal that depicted the dates of service. am I right in thinking these medals were solid silver?

Not sure that the originals were made from silver but what I can tell you, they had a swivel medal attachment to the bracket? holding the ribbon, the ones issued to me did not have the swivel.  You are right in saying they were General Service Medals with clasp NWF, dates on my Dads medals 1908-1935, 1936-1937. 

Gerwyn

Edited by pioneecorps

ADDEd photos, not the best quality I know.

Gerwyn

59b00e8d60b22_DADI.JPG.9fe6ea829654816af1ad16e86191f864.JPG

59b00e9b5ab00_DAD2.JPG.ccb40cb08379389e7edbbe9bd2aac748.JPG

On 06/09/2017 at 12:16, pioneecorps said:

Not sure that the originals were made from silver but what I can tell you, they had a swivel medal attachment to the bracket? holding the ribbon, the ones issued to me did not have the swivel.  You are right in saying they were General Service Medals with clasp NWF, dates on my Dads medals 1908-1935, 1936-1937. 

Gerwyn

Thank Gerwyn I was initially wondering why the NWF clasps were issued on two separate medals because usually both clasps would be attached to one IGS medal. However the explanation is that the first clasp, 1908-1936, would have been issued on a George V Medal,whereas the later clasp would be on a George VI Medal.

32 minutes ago, Lawryleslie said:

Thank Gerwyn I was initially wondering why the NWF clasps were issued on two separate medals because usually both clasps would be attached to one IGS medal. However the explanation is that the first clasp, 1908-1936, would have been issued on a George V Medal,whereas the later clasp would be on a George VI Medal.

It was a long and interesting research, forms to fill in and emails before I received them, but worth while.

Gerwyn

5 hours ago, pioneecorps said:

It was a long and interesting research, forms to fill in and emails before I received them, but worth while.

Gerwyn

Sorry to admin this is not Great War related but. When I applied for my Dads medals after he passed away in 2015 I was gobsmacked to receive the Burma Star alongside his Defence and War Medal. I knew that he had spent 2 years in Canada serving with 34 OTU at Pennfield Ridge Nova Scotia. I also knew he had then been posted to Calcutta in support of RAF in India, but that's all I knew apart from a Japanese bayonette I found when sorting his possessions after he died. So, after receiving his medals from MOD I applied to RAF for his service records and was astounded at what I found. Whilst in Calcutta he volunteered for an emergency posting the the RAF Regiment who were fighting the Japs in Burma. He had never told me about this but it explains both the bayonette and Burma Star award.

Excellent Job Barry with what you have done, you can literally spend a life time looking for family medals without success - I know!

On 11/09/2017 at 23:06, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Excellent Job Barry with what you have done, you can literally spend a life time looking for family medals without success - I know!

Thanks, my search continues.