Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Kitchener's Bugle

Bald lions?

Gosh.

9 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I believe you'll find the correct translation by a proper human expert in post #4.

Tell me... what else do you trust Google for?

I dont seem to recall at any point saying that I trust Google for anything. I just stated that that was how Google translated it. Wind your neck in.

On 23/08/2017 at 18:58, temptage said:

. Wind your neck in.

You mean Gwyntwch eich gwddf i mewn.

Rwy'n ymddiried google

Mike

Edited by Skipman

One of my regrets is that although my Mother was a Welsh speaker, she didn't teach me the language and by all accounts my Grandfather was considered a Bard of some ability. He left a suitcase full of poems (written of scraps of paper) which I remember seeing as a child, but couldn't find when I cleared the family home.

The other strange thing is I never heard my Mothers Welsh accent, although my Aunts and Uncles had most pronounced lovely South Welsh which I used to mimic something awful when they came to stay, but Mother's I never heard, yet her friends said she never lost it. Odd that!

Gareth

4 hours ago, Skipman said:

You mean Gwyntwch eich gwddf i mewn.

Rwy'n ymddiried google

Mike

Mike.

You really ought to know better...:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
On 13/08/2017 at 17:18, depaor01 said:

Hope this isn't  too much of a digression, but it amazes me how Welsh language, a Celtic tongue, is so completely different from Scottish and Irish Gaelic which are very similar... Why?

Dave

I don't speak either but I am half Welsh and lived in Wales for a time then Scotland for many years.

Language experts can explain how the same word can end up changing in predictable ways in the languages but you do start to notice similarities without a detailed knowledge of the languages. 

Beach - traeth and tràigh

Church -   eglwys and eaglais

School -  ysgol  and sgoil

"Ty Bach" is small house and is used in Welsh for that small house at the bottom of the garden :-),  I asked a Gaelic speaking friend if they do anything similar with their equivalent Taigh Beag!   I believe they do.

Edited by mbriscoe

Full set of images on FLICKR

Llanfair PG, Llanedwen and Penmynydd War Memorial

Holyhead Road, Llanfair PG

By the roadside near the station with big car park of  Pringle's World of Shopping.

SH 52608 71637

01-JMB_01_05_2019_08_22_46_0002660603.JPG.3bf2f15402399add278cca9ff34f59b5.JPG03-JMB_01_05_2019_08_22_53_0002660503.JPG.d5df2ed8849a5a66fe575b051ac30a82.JPG

Go on, show me a picture of the pub.

Penrhos Arms, where my mother had piano lessons in the 1930s...

You will have taken these shots standing in front of Britannia Terrace, where my GF lived when he attested in 1915 (see my post #4).

I only noticed there was a pub across the road because I took a picture of the Chinese Takeaway for someone on FLICKR who has a group for photographs of them.