Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Accommodation

Chris Thompson

Hi all. I Will be visiting Ypres this coming October for 5 days. Can anyone recommend a decent hotel or reputable accommodation please. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry folks, I've put this in the wrong category. 

If you like larger, impersonal, hotels where you can come and go as you please, the Novotel is pretty central - worthwhile booking on-line well in advance as the walk-in price is quite steep (we paid half the price on the door).

There's a large car park (you need to pay) underneath, which is convenient, and a bakers/sandwich shop 50 yards up the street which opens at some unearthly hour but beware of the cakes; you will have to go back the next day for another - it would take you months to try them all!

If you like a trekker hut, lighting two ring cooker, points, heater and a small fridge, table four chairs, two bunk beds one single bed and a mattress, it was another bed?, and a little walk to the toilet block which is kept very clean, there's a camp site 5 minuets walk from Menin Gate, I was there a month ago and been going there for years.

Gerwyn

Chris,

if you search the forum a bit then you will find plenty of chat about Ypres accommodation; I think that the most recent thread is HERE. I went with friends in June, and booked February, but already found Ypres very booked up by then, and we had to split up. I stayed in Ariane for 3 nights (pricey, but nicest hotel in town IMHO), and Ambrosia for one night (inexpensive guesthouse - very good). In the past I have used the slightly expensive but excellent Albion Hotel.

William

The occasions I have stayed in Ypres I have used the Hotel Regina.

It is at the end of the Grote Market on the corner and overlooks the Cloth Hall.

Hotel Regina

Grote Markt 45, 8900 Ieper (Ypres)

1 hour ago, ianjonesncl said:

The occasions I have stayed in Ypres I have used the Hotel Regina.

It is at the end of the Grote Market on the corner and overlooks the Cloth Hall.

Hotel Regina

Grote Markt 45, 8900 Ieper (Ypres)

Beware, the previous owners have disappeared more or less and were declared bankrupt and I don't know whether it is open again.

The Regina looked very much closed today (but Ieper is one of those places where hotels [used to?] put 'Closed for the Holidays' in the window in August

Hi guys,

The hotel REGINA looks as if it was definitely closed... my clients had a booking there for two nights for yesterday and today, this booking was made by them 6 months ago. We arrived in front of the Regina yesterday afternoon (with some difficulties because of the commemoration) and it was closed. A local came to us and told us that the owners of the hotel had left, then we went to the tourist office and explained them the situation, they confirmed us that the Regina was closed without contacting any of their clients. Not very fair...

So don't go or book the REGINA !

Sly

There were quite a bit of articles in April-May about hotel Regina in the local newspapers, saying that the owner was looking for new tenants to run the hotel. The previous tenants having left without any notice. All bookings were annuled and money was lost.

This is of course very bad publicity and I wonder whether the hotel will open again and recover from this even if the new owners would have nothing to do with the previous ones.

Jan

The Main Street Hotel is the best I have experienced. The rooms and breakfast are top notch. But not the low cost option.

Edited by cwbuff

Looks like the REGINA is off the prospective billet list.

The huge advantage of the Ariane is the parking - free and easy. 

The Hotel O was under the same ownership as the Regina and, whilst it is still open, there have been severe problems with bookings which were not handed over to the new owners. Several people who had booked months ago for the centenary arrived on 31st to be told there was no room for them.