Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres accommodation

berty199

Hi

Recommendations for a B & B/hotel for Ypres very welcome please

Walking distance of the Menin Gate preferred, there will be 6 in our party, so 3 rooms required

Thanks

Martin 

The Dug Out excellent and meets all your criteria. Stayed there myself four weeks ago so write from first hand experience.

Len

The Old Tom hotel on the Grote Markt is excellent, and I don't think, apart from the z'Veert, that you could get much nearer to the Menin Gate. 

Four of us stayed there for a night at the end of May - 82 euro for a twin room. We booked in December last, and apparently during the interim the hotel came under new ownership, and was closed whilst the restaurant was refurbished. I was a bit worried that our booking might have got lost during the closure, but all was OK. Those stairs, though!

nearly vertical, with a wobbly hand rail/banister.

John

If you fancy self-catering in a huge three-storey house just off the Grote Markt I can thoroughly recommend Abacus House. Three double bedrooms and a single with views of Cloth Hall.  Seven of us stayed and there was space to spare. Even has a library/piano room. Have a good trip. Sue

The Albion Hotel +Novotel are very good and only 5 minutes walk-Maxium-To Menin Gate

Wesley Wright

We never consider anywhere other than the Ariane. If they can't accommodate us, we don't travel.

Presumably you missed the very comprehensive pinned thread at the top of the list -

Edited by John_Hartley

I have often stayed in Ieper/Ypres, and was there this time last week [nostalgic sigh]. It was very busy, and our party of 6, booking in February, had to mix and match. I had three nights in the Ariane, which is quite the nicest of the lot, in my opinion. If money was not a problem then I would always stay here. This was followed by a single night in the Ambrosia, which is cheaper and far more simple (on three floors but no lift), and highly recommended as long as you are looking for a basic hotel. Two years ago I stayed at the Albion Hotel, which I liked very much (it would be my second choice if the Ariane was full), and the staff were particularly nice. I stayed at the Old Tom five years ago under the previous management - it was quite basic, but I liked it, although my room was up four steep flights of stairs, you could smell the drains, and there was no lift (-great for parties of chaps roughing it, but perhaps won't impress wives and girlfriends). This may have improved now.

William

Edited by WilliamRev

Thanks to everyone for their contributions so far, it's much appreciated

Regards

Martin

I was out there on the 5th of June this year, stayed in a trekker hut in a campsite couple of minutes walk from Menin Gate, first time for me to go over on my own, I love it over there, thinking about my next one now.

• 4 weeks later...