Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most beautiful cemetery on the Western Front

Mat McLachlan

Mansell Copse I think it is called (The Devonshires). So intimate and hidden behind the copse. The inscription at the entrance always brings a lump to the throat.

For a non CWGC cemetery - Langemark. Such a quiet and foreboding place.

Although it is not far from Poperinghe, Grootebeek British Cemetery seems to be rarely visited but is a lovely cemetery.

Do try and visit it if you are anywhere nearby. You will probably have to make a special effort though as it is not one that you generally pass by on the way to somewhere else.

Neil

My wife and I were on holiday in Belgium and I was looking out for the graves of Maldon men. We had lunch at Westvaleteron Abbey (loads of beer and cheese!) and on the way back to the hotel we found Dozinghem where there are two of my lads - Sidney William South and William Henry Petchey. It was remote, quiet, peaceful and full of bird song - really touching and, yes, beautiful. Anyone been there/agree?

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

Dozinghem is special, it also holds one of SAD men, and is close to the best brewery in Flanders.

Belle Alliance moved me, and I always return to the tranquillity of the Ramparts Cemetery. As others have said, they are all special. A couple of years ago I walked down from my campsite at dusk and sat in the Authille cemetery on June 30th for what seemed quite a time. Recalling the old photographs of that valley in 1916 and thinking of the day to follow sent me away quite overpowered, as I so often am on the front.

Keith

Hi,

I can agree with what Maldon and Keith says about Dozinghem

Dozinghem on a hazy morning (autumn)

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1258273788.jpg

Thanks for the great picture Cnock - brings back memories of great beer and fascinating history and research. A very poignent site. I think I will return soon!

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Dozinghem is special, it also holds one of SAD men, and is close to the best brewery in Flanders.

Belle Alliance moved me, and I always return to the tranquillity of the Ramparts Cemetery. As others have said, they are all special. A couple of years ago I walked down from my campsite at dusk and sat in the Authille cemetery on June 30th for what seemed quite a time. Recalling the old photographs of that valley in 1916 and thinking of the day to follow sent me away quite overpowered, as I so often am on the front.

Keith

Thanks Keith - what's SAD?

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Shot at Dawn ?

Thanks - of course, sorry just woken up! Which man wouldthat be the - can't see the cemetey listed in Putkowski and Sykes?

SPN

Maldon

That's right. I seem to recall reading that one man was executed against the wall of St Sixtus, but I don't think its the man who is buried there.

It remains a peaceful place.

Keith

Hi all,

I'm interested to hear other Pals' opinions about the most beautiful cemetery in France or Belgium. I'm going to cast my vote for Le Trou Aid Post, Fleurbaix.

Cheers,

Mat

Another special one for me is Coxyde Military Cemetery in Belgium. An old lady in Maldon spoke to me some years ago and showed me her late father-in-law's GS medals. He was Corporal Edward George Tindale of 'H' Special Co. RE. Neither she nor her late husband knew very little about him because he was kia 30/7/17. My wife and I wanted to do something about that so we booked a crossing, stayed in a hotel at Du Panne and went in search of Coxyde. It was a really special moment when we found it. It had been raining but stopped when we arrived and the sun came out. The people in the house at the entrance waved and were very friendly. The place was beautifully kept and the grass very green and tightly cut. We then found Corporal Tindale at III.A.2 and left some Maldon flowers. As far as the old lady knew, no one from the family or Maldon had been there before. We took her some photosand had a moving conversation with herabout the visit. For those reasons Coxyde will always be an important place for us.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon

For Maldon,

Coxyde Mil Cem

Cnock

Thanks mate - very kind of you. Great memories.

SPN

Maldon

• 11 months later...

I think Bedford House & ramparts are lovely

buzzer

I've only got limited experience (maybe 20 or 30 cemeteries) but i'd like to say that my favourite by a short head is the Arras Memorial to the Missing Cemetery.

Most of the one's I've seen are really beautiful though.

At the risk of waxing too lyrical about Ramparts Ypres, we were there a few weeks ago in beautiful Autumn weather. It was absolutely stunning and the 2 first visitors to Ypres that i took there were very impressed. As has been said, there are numerous beautiful cemeteries but to spend eternity at Ramparts wouldn't be too shabby a resting place.

Found two lovely ones on my recent trip which were new to me.

Bedford House - large but fascinating with the different areas, and Grotebeek. 'small but perfectly formed' - with river (the beek I guess!), a VC (R J D Mowat), some Sikh and Muslim graves and one from a new unit to me - the Hants Caribiners Yeomanry.

Photo of Grotebeek attached...

post-8971-058096400 1288298833.jpg

We can only 'vote' for the cemeteries we know, but I would agree with (small) Le Trou and (large) Bedford House, and would add Hunter's Cemetery at Beaumont Hamel.

Found two lovely ones on my recent trip which were new to me.

Bedford House - large but fascinating with the different areas, and Grotebeek. 'small but perfectly formed' - with river (the beek I guess!), a VC (R J D Mowat), some Sikh and Muslim graves and one from a new unit to me - the Hants Caribiners Yeomanry.

Hope you don't mind me pointing out that the VC in Grootebeek is John Lynn (his grave was in fact lost and this is a commemoration headstone)

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2938533

Oops! Thank you for the correction.

Mowat was the Hants Carabiners! I was looking at the wrong photo!

• 5 months later...

Thank You for resurrecting this thread ......

I have enjoyed Googling all the lovely cemeterys listed .......

Thank You.

I feel 'comfortable' in them all, but my particular favourites are Vendresse (agree with Michelle, and thanks for introducing me to it Maurice), Ramparts and the first one I ever visited, which just happens to be the one where my grandfather resides, Metz-en-Couture Communal Extension..... and I could easily go on

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Small cemetery. Arneke,surrounded by crops very peaceful

Large cemetery St Sever Rouen, very peaceful even though its in a large city.

Then again ime biast towards these two as I have family in them both.