Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most beautiful cemetery on the Western Front

Mat McLachlan

How about Authille cemetery sloping curving hillside above the Ancre.

Here is one, taken May this year. Was over during a mini-heat wave, and I agree this is a beautiful spot.

Alan

Many thanks nice pic. Went there on a frosty October morning a few years ago , very atmospheric as they all are each in their own way. Yes Pte Willie Mcbride is buried here and it is generally accepted that this where Eric Bogle got the name from. With some poetic licenece as "Wullie" was actually 21 and not nineteen.

Yes Eric Bogle or certainly his music is well known on the folk scene in the UK.

thanks all and a very Happy christmas to all.

SG

;) Hear is one of Authille Cemetery taken on a misty morning in March 2002

Tony

And thanks again, another very atmospheric picture. Well done SG

For personal reasons.Boulogne Eastern Cemetery.Photographs taken on 6th June 2004.

Despite Boulogne been a small,noisey town,The cemetery is a place of tranquilty and is beautifully kept.

Stephen

post-19-1104153424.jpg

Another on taken the same day.The civilian cemetery can be seen in the background,behind the hedge.

Stephen

post-19-1104153532.jpg

I agree Steven, my Great Uncle is buried there, having died of wounds in the retreat from Mons

My favorite is a non Commonwealth one:

Vladso German cemetery

Then my favorite commonwealth one is St symphorien near Mons:

http://www.webmatters.net/cwgc/st_symphorien.htm

And then the Buttes New cemetery:

http://www.webmatters.net/cwgc/buttes.htm

Too many spring to mind, including:

Ten Tree Alley, Somme (no book, so no idea how many visitors it gets, but not too many I would imagine)

Railway Hollow, Somme - Enchanting location

Beaumont Hamel, Somme - Where those brave Lancs Fusiliers fell on 1st July

All Redan Ridge Cems, Somme - inc Waggon Rd, Munich, Frankfort & New Munich (location, location, location)

Gordons, Somme - So many similarities to Devonshires Cem across the road, but without the myhtology

And of course St. Symphorien - from an age of innocence....

Surprised that no one mentioned the one at Polygon Wood, impressive to me when you look down on it surrounded by trees. Maybe it's a state of mind when you first see it having followed the way some men in the Leicesters from my Village attacked there.

Cliff.

Does anyone have a photo of Le Troux Aid Post they could post? The only time I was there with a camera was in the middle of a rainstorm - somehow the windswept greyness doesn't quite convey the beauty I was talking about...

Here's one.

Tom

post-19-1104177348.jpg

I think any of them when the flowers are out.

I do like this one, Zouave Valley near Vimy

post-19-1104230792.jpg

Good comment Matt.Considering what the fighting must have been like and the state of these cemeteries when they first opened.To see them now in full flower and so peaceful.The fallen truely are "Resting in Peace".

Stephen

Sanctuary Wood on a misty May morning stands out for me as it was the first cemetery I had visited.

We then went up to the Hill 62 memorial, finally we looked at the museum.

I think we did the visit in the correct order.

sadly I can't recall which Salient cemetery this is.....but I think it illustrates the point well enough.

post-19-1104247244.jpg

Matt

According to CWGC 2849 Cpl S.Rawlings is buried in the Borre British Cemetery near Hazebrouck

too many to mention.

Ramparts Cemetery has already been mentioned - rightly so in my opinion as it has to my mind possibly the most beautiful setting.

However a personal favourite which has always impressed by the colourful planting is Roclincourt Military Cemetery. I also think the fact that it is surrounded by the village that the men died for is particularly moving.

post-19-1104316915.jpg

Mat,

Wandering around Authuile Cemetery a couple of years ago, I noticed that there were two W. McBrides buried on the slope. Both, I believe, were called William.

It's difficult to pick out any cemeteries... but I have always found St Symphorien and the Munsters cemetery in Etreux especially moving.

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/cemetery_...=2076401&mode=1

Regards,

AGWR

Surprised that no one mentioned the one at Polygon Wood, impressive to me when you look down on it surrounded by trees. Maybe it's a state of mind when you first see it having followed the way some men in the Leicesters from my Village attacked there.

Cliff.

I did!

that is the Burres new Cemetery...

Does anyone have a photo of Le Troux Aid Post they could post? The only time I was there with a camera was in the middle of a rainstorm - somehow the windswept greyness doesn't quite convey the beauty I was talking about...

Mat.

I have a lot of pics of Le Troux Aid Post.

post-19-1104515576.jpg

Lonsdale Cemetery near Authuille- reached by a small path between fields, on a slope which rises up towards the Thiepval Memorial, almost in the "cusp" of Authuille Wood.

post-19-1104516280.jpg

Mu Corner(?) again very nice:

Soren,

Marco is correct. Your photo is Prowse Point Cemetery. Mud Corner is the small one some 200 meters south.

Sue,

We have the same taste. (At least with regard to the cemeteries not in Boezinge territory...) I think Ploegsteert wood Mil. Cem. deserves a second photo.

Aurel

OK Aurel Here is Your second one.

post-19-1104611085.jpg