Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 BEF Embarkation Ships

Nick1914

Many thanks for this I'll go for A H Wilkie as the evidence is now pretty strong.  However difficult to believe that he could be back on active service in only 3 weeks(ie before 7th Sept) after what was in 1914 a major operation carrying a significant mortality rate.  However, it was just stated that he had "appendicitis" not that he had an operation so may have been something like a "grumbling appendix" with no intervention......we will never know!

Nevertheless this is a nice addition to my non-combat casualties list.

Best regards, Nick

Mark,

No, I didn't, probably should have though!

Dave

9 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Re. Brevet "to captain"

Not in British army.

Brevets were to

Major

Lt col

Colonel

Only.

Other countries different.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Dave

03.03.14  - 3 Field Sqn RE - ss City of Benares

12.08.14  - 5 Field Company RE - ss Minnisota

17.08.14  -  23 Field Company RE - 4 sections - ss Melifont

18.08.14  -  23 Field Company HQ & pontoons  - ss Basil

22.08.14  -   7 Field Company -  ss Algerian

TR

On 15/07/2017 at 15:24, Nick1914 said:

Dear All, just trying to collect together embarkation ships used by the various battalions in 1914 going to France. Found a combination of Westlake's "British Battalions....." and War Diaries pretty much fill the picture with a few exceptions.  Can anyone help with the following:

Nick,

What's your cut-off for this piece of work?  Just the Old Contemptibles?  What about the Regulars pulled back from India etc., who went out in Dec 1914 - e.g. 3rd and 4th KRRC?

Mark

18 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

03.03.14  - 3 Field Sqn RE - ss City of Benares

12.08.14  - 5 Field Company RE - ss Minnisota

17.08.14  -  23 Field Company RE - 4 sections - ss Melifont

18.08.14  -  23 Field Company HQ & pontoons  - ss Basil

22.08.14  -   7 Field Company -  ss Algerian

TR

Great info, but I thought 1st Field Squadron was assigned to the Cavalry Division; which formation was 3rd Field Squadron assigned to, or do you mean 3rd Signal Company, R.E., assigned as army troops?
Also, maybe a typo on the date, can't be 3 March 1914.

Dave

18 minutes ago, lostinspace said:

Great info, but I thought 1st Field Squadron was assigned to the Cavalry Division; which formation was 3rd Field Squadron assigned to, or do you mean 3rd Signal Company, R.E., assigned as army troops?
Also, maybe a typo on the date, can't be 3 March 1914.

Dave

Dave, sorry It should have been 14.10.14.

TR

3rd Field Squadron was likely the engineer unit for 3rd Cavalry Division with a 14 October date, thanks for the correction.

Dave

Thanks Terry, anything also on 11th & 26 Field Companies most useful(2nd & 1st Divisions resp).  Embarkation dates around same as previous.

Mark, anything in 1914 is cut-off.  Yes already have some good data on the Regulars & Indian Army from "Sepoys in the Trenches" with a few gaps.  With regard to later later Autumn/Winter embarkation I hadn't planned as probably very difficult at an individual officer level which is relevant to my study. However, good to see any  3rd 4th KRRC data.

Best, Nick

Nick

11 Company embarked 15 August, sailing at 11:45 pm on the Minnesota. 1 Divisional Signals Company also embarked on the vessel at the same time.

26 Company also embarked on 15 August  on the City of Lucknow sailing at 1:30 pm.

Both disembarked at Rouen.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

I am also very interested in non-combat casualties during the BEF and saw a reference to Mr C H Wilkie getting appendicitis and evacuated back to England.

Nick, what exactly are you looking for here?? as there are quite a few officers sent home sick, invalided out, all non-combat.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

1st Rifle Brigade, 4th Division.

43112_1496_0-00003.jpg.d8b7cf6cc597ef92090fa8345bff8c40.jpg

2nd Rifle Brigade, 8th Division

43112_1731_0-00003.jpg.66848ba9ae4788450c27d7128eb5d816.jpg

3/KRRC embarked on Sunday 20 Dec 1914 at Southampton on board the City of Edinburgh disembarking at Le Havre the next day.

3rd Rifle Brigade & 4th Rifle Brigade

CIMG3233.JPG.160f92772229a8a4cf456356980e588e.JPG

CIMG3632.JPG.950ff01c442f6298d164acdeb5f5ce33.JPG

Nick

If there are any gaps remaining do let me know. I have an extensive searchable database on the BEF Infantry and Cavalry. I also have nearly every published regimental history covering the period. MG

Example: 7th (Meerut) Division

596e12b57d0eb_MeerutDivTptShips.jpg.6da10da25b39d9c046174093aa9ede0c.jpg

Nick

More RE embarkations, some are a bit complicated as you will see.

8 Railway Company RE [but on outbreak of war were known as  No1 Railway Company].  14 August 1914 embarked ss Caledonia. Re- embarked on ss Blackwell 2 September 1914 at Havre for St Nazaire.

10 Railway Company RE [known as No 2 Railway Company at outbreak of war].  A detachment from this unit was sent to Woolwich Arsenal in support of 7 Seige Battery RGA to construct spurs for the battery's 9.2 inch railway gun. They embarked at Woolwich for Ostend on 5.10.14. aboard  ss Pentwyn. After some perigrinations they re-embarked at Havre on 22.10.14 aboard ss Cheniston for Avonmouth, eventually disembarking at Cardiff. They later rejoined the main body of their unit and re-embarked  for France on 21.11.1914. Unfortunately the ship's name was not recorded on this occasion.

22.08.14 - 7 Field Company embarked on ss Algerian.

15.11.14 - 15 Field Company RE embarked for France on ss Victorian.  This company had been stationed in Gibraltar as 15 Fortress Company. They embarked at Gibraltar on 10.09.14 aboard ss Gloucester Castle, disembarking in the UK on 15.09.14. In October 1914 they were re-designated as 15 Field Company.

16.08.1914 - 17 Field Company RE embarked on HT Bellerophon at Dublin for Havre.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Are you just looking at the cross-Channel ships or do you want to know details of ships that transported overseas units back to Blighty?

Dear All, overwhelmed by all the great info which takes time to process so sorry not as personal a reply as usual. In relation to questions....just out-going transports in 1914 going to France/Belgium but not back(simply too much to handle).  Also Regulars ex-India as so kindly provided  above....Lahore Division also would be great.  I may later ask for Cavalry Transports later but at moment too much to handle. Terry's Engineers data is terrific and very hard thing to source so any thanks again.

In relation to Non-Combat Fatalities question raised earlier attached is a PDF which may demonstrate what I am doing. In this case sorted by "cause of death" which is one of the most interesting.  Note the very high numbers of RFC accidents, suicides or "accidental deaths.  The age spectrum is also interesting and if anyone was interested I could sort by this eldest(Lord Roberts -82!) downwards.  This is perhaps <0.5% of what I have in my dbase  as many columns not relevant here have been hidden.

Bit of a nightmare attaching such a large file so hope PDF opens....otherwise we can do offline with private e-mail.  Ignore light yellow cell colours as these are just to show me cells in certain data sets that have been crossed-checked....still very much work in progress

Again huge thanks, Nick

596e440ca5af2_RegimentalPersonnelLosses1914masterApril2017copy.pdf

Adobe Reader reports the PDF is "damaged" and cannot open it!

Also 3/KRRC, 4/KRRC, 3/RB and 4/RB had all come from India via a short stopover in Blighty to reconfigure.

Mark

On 19/07/2017 at 03:28, Nick1914 said:

Dear All, overwhelmed by all the great info which takes time to process so sorry not as personal a reply as usual. In relation to questions....just out-going transports in 1914 going to France/Belgium but not back(simply too much to handle).  Also Regulars ex-India as so kindly provided above....Lahore Division also would be great.  I may later ask for Cavalry Transports later but at moment too much to handle. Terry's Engineers data is terrific and very hard thing to source so any thanks again.

In relation to Non-Combat Fatalities question raised earlier attached is a PDF which may demonstrate what I am doing. In this case sorted by "cause of death" which is one of the most interesting.  Note the very high numbers of RFC accidents, suicides or "accidental deaths.  The age spectrum is also interesting and if anyone was interested I could sort by this eldest(Lord Roberts -82!) downwards.  This is perhaps <0.5% of what I have in my dbase  as many columns not relevant here have been hidden.

Bit of a nightmare attaching such a large file so hope PDF opens....otherwise we can do offline with private e-mail.  Ignore light yellow cell colours as these are just to show me cells in certain data sets that have been crossed-checked....still very much work in progress

Again huge thanks, Nick

RegimentalPersonnelLosses1914 master April 2017 copy.pdf

Nick

I have Cavalry, Yeomanry, TF, and the rest of the IEFA on a spreadsheet somewhere. If you can wait a day (I am distracted by other issues at the moment such as the Tour de France analysis) I should be able to post tomorrow. 

Can I assume regular Infantry (1st-7th Divs) is now covered? I have 29th Div if of any use and all the K1 and K2 as well.

No hurry, sport is also a distraction to me I'm off to the Open Golf Friday so WW1 will be on hold for a few days!

K1/K2  casualties in 1914 pretty rare so probably can give a miss.  But good to know.

1914 Non-Combat Officer Fatalities List PDF appears not to open so..... I'm now trying a TIFF format.......also appears not to work due to file size constraints.  Will send by private mail if anyone contacts me with their e-mail on PM basis.

Sorry about this.  Nick

Terry, just pulled some very useful data from your previous posts.  Anything on 54th & 55th Field Coys part of 7th Division and probably landed Zeebruge?? 7th October 1914.

Nick

Mark, sorry about the files......I think it is simply a file size issue.  Just successfully sent PDF/TIFF versions to Stiletto.  So can do the same if you send me your private e-mail via PM.

Nick