Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

26 County Casualties of the Great War 15 Volumes now available

depaor01

25 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you kindly Voltaire. Your help in the past went a long way to put these books together. The 15 volumes, were really not as much of a task as I just record what I have found, a lot of times with the unselfish help of others, especially those on this forum. It does show how much information there is out there, especially in the newspapers!.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Don't stray too far Tom- I have a query on a casualty 1914-1918 not located anywhere-and he has an Irish surname. As the police say-"Don't leave town"  Don't worry-you can have a rest first

Knock yourself out, what is his name?

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Knock yourself out, what is his name?

Tom- You're losing sales- I will have a look at the appropriate vol. first!!  Don't want to be a John Cleese "What have the Romans done for us?" situation.  Always room for Vol.XVI-Addenda

GUEST, he may be in the newspapers anyway. PM me his name and lets see what happens.

Hello again lads and lassies, I just got the first set. 22 inches is the shelf space needed to house them, they weigh 23 kilos.

Thank you all again for all your help, it would not have been possible without it!

Kindest regards.

Tom.

DSCF7064.JPG

Edited by museumtom

Had a quick browse through the first batch that arrived for South Dublin County Library. Impressive stuff.

Going to see if I can add to my group of South Dublin County Messines/Passchendaele men's info.

We're going to have to reinforce the shelves in the Local Studies section :w00t:.

Dave

Thank you kindly Dave, you are the first to review them. I am delighted you are happy with them and I hope you can add extra info on your lads.

Kind regards.

Tom.

What a fantastic (and worthwhile) project - congratulations! The volumes look good, too. A very fine achievement.

Cheers, Pat.

Thank you Pat, your comments are very much appreciated indeed. It was a labor of love, and so, it was no effort really.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom

Congratulations on completing a nationally significant historical project. I have two questions:

1) How many hours/years do you reckon went into the project?

2) Are you looking at any other Great War or other historical research projects?

Best

Justin

Edited by Justinth

You can be as bald as you like TGM.

O'Reilly, Marion. (Dublin).

Regiment/Service: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.

Service No: 49668.

Date of death: 27/10/1919.

Notes: Also known as Reilly.

Grave/Memorial:  Garden. EG. 225.

Cemetery: Glasnevin (or Prospect) Cemetery, Dublin.

Justin.

It took 15 years, 8 of which were full time. I am at the moment cataloging the photographs in all the Irish newspapers just for my own interests. Then I would like to tackle 'Psychic Irish Parasites of The Great War.' When you see the difference in behaviour of these mediums, psychics etc when they stand in front of the Judge charged with telling fortunes and speaking to the dead you can see that they were chancers living off the gullible poor and those in mourning and anxious. Funny enough, there was only one who won his case when he gave the Judge a reading, which proved correct and he got off. Sin sceal éile as we say here-that's another story.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks Tom

That is amazing dedication, you have been the equivalent of a funded history project at a university involving a team of researchers. You have also been a very good project manager from what I have seen on the Forum, inspiring others to provide help with the project. What sort of media coverage are you getting in Ireland for this?

Do you mean Great War photographs?

The psychics project sounds really interesting. I knew there was a increase in support for the spiritualist churches and mediums in the U.K. after WW1 but had thought that Catholic Ireland might not need their services in the same way as Catholicism has a much stronger connection with the dead through Purgatory.

Best wishes and congratulations again on what you have achieved.

Justin

Edited by Justinth

Thank you kindly Justin, as I said before it was no effort as I loved doing it. No different than a lad watching sport as many hours of the day he can, it was a great way to pass the time. 

'What sort of media coverage are you getting in Ireland for this?' so far there has not been a single word. It does not really matter, its done and our Irish heroes cannot be denied any more, thank goodness.

The help given by this forum was amazing, there was no way in hell this project could have been completed without their unfailing support,

and helped to get 10 accepted and passed by the CWGC and they should have headstones by now. 

In Catholic Ireland during the Great war there was a great interest in mediums and psychics. The Catholic Church frowned on such things which drove it underground,  so it was unregulated and anything went. You could see by weasel words these charlatans cajoled items and money out of the poor. To hear them lie and deny promising contact with the dead or fortelling the future would make you cringe. The newspapers are full of these court proceedings.

Photographs in the microfiches are as a rule rubbish quality as they format they use is specifically for reading text. Even so, there are at least 30,000 of them, with 20,000 of them of men and women who died. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Stunning achievement Tom, congratulations.

Are the volumes available in Ireland?

regards

Mal

Hello Mal, just back from a weekend show. They are available on Amazon.com but cheaper on Amazon.co.uk.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 16:49, museumtom said:

You can be as bald as you like TGM.

O'Reilly, Marion. (Dublin).

Regiment/Service: Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps.

Service No: 49668.

Date of death: 27/10/1919.

Notes: Also known as Reilly.

Grave/Memorial:  Garden. EG. 225.

Cemetery: Glasnevin (or Prospect) Cemetery, Dublin.

Justin.

It took 15 years, 8 of which were full time. I am at the moment cataloging the photographs in all the Irish newspapers just for my own interests. Then I would like to tackle 'Psychic Irish Parasites of The Great War.' When you see the difference in behaviour of these mediums, psychics etc when they stand in front of the Judge charged with telling fortunes and speaking to the dead you can see that they were chancers living off the gullible poor and those in mourning and anxious. Funny enough, there was only one who won his case when he gave the Judge a reading, which proved correct and he got off. Sin sceal éile as we say here-that's another story.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Thanks Andy and Mick, none of it would not have been possible with the help of the pals on this forum!!! 

Kindest regards.

Tom./

Thanks Dave, and thanks to your library for buying the very first set!

Kind regards.

Tom.