Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

26 County Casualties of the Great War 15 Volumes now available

depaor01

Afternoon all,

I've just been made aware that forum pal Museumtom's Magnum Opus is now available through Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=26+County+Casualties+of+the+Great+War+Volume

A not-for-profit exercise in trying to establish the real number of Irishmen killed in the Great War.

I haven't read it yet, but I think you'll all agree it's a worthy and timely publication.

Dave

Well, my secret is out, thanks Dave!! All credit is due to the pals on the forum and your good self for all the help and support. 15 volumes, 8,500 pages, 22 kilos weight.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Nice one Tom, well done.  Will the postman complain about a back injury!

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

comhghairdeas. post a dhéanamh go maith

( Translation from Mr. google-but the sentiment is true. Looks excellent on the Amazon Look Inside)

Thank you kindly guys! Fingers crossed.

Tom.

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Thank you kindly guys! Fingers crossed.

Tom.

Nice to see it's available  - the forum isn't the same without 'Tom's missing men of the day' challenge.

Craig

Thanks Craig and Dai, it was not possible without ye.

Kind regards.

Tom.

'Tom's missing men of the day' 

D'yknow, I really enjoyed the surprise when you guys came up trumps, finding the unfindable. All credit to you lads and lassies.

19 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig and Dai, it was not possible without ye.

Kind regards.

Tom.

'Tom's missing men of the day' 

D'yknow, I really enjoyed the surprise when you guys came up trumps, finding the unfindable. All credit to you lads and lassies.

It was a nice challenge - certainly helps brush up on your research skills !

Craig

Quite a task, well done Tom.

Andy

You are making me blush, thanks lads.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom, congratulations on having your many years of research and documentation converted into print.

Can I ask you a question? I don't know whether to describe it as a randomly stupid question or a stupidly random question, in light of what you have just achieved,but here goes.

Does Herbert Goldsmith Whitton of 1 Wilton Terrace, Dublin appear in the list of 26 county born WW1 casualties?

Regards.

Paul.

Hello Paul.

Here he is as he appears in the last volume.

Cheers.

Tom.

Whitton, Herbert Goldsmith. (Dublin).

Regiment/Service: Canadian Field Artillery.

Service No: 907938.

Date of death: 09/06/1921.

Born: Dublin.

Enlisted: Saskatchewan.

Next of kin, etc: Son of Anthony Whitton of 1, Wilton Terrace, Dublin, Ireland, and the late Emily Whitton.

Grave/Memorial: Mil. 331.

Cemetery: Winnipeg (Brookside) Cemetery, Canada.

Edited by museumtom

I have heard a rumour that Scotland is going to be Toms next project 

Don't know whether its true or not  :D

Nevertheless Well Done Tom

Ray

Good man Ray, thanks very much indeed. The Scots I will leave to my fellow Celts. Thats a far far bigger task than the last one I am afraid.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Well done Tom! Great to see a lifetime's research reach publication.

Amazon's CreateSpace can be a little frustrating to deal with, e.g. in terms of the endless demands for additional fees and charges. However, they plug you into the Amazon distribution network, with royalties on Amazon Prime. Hopefully it'll help recoup some of the enormous outlay in research costs over the decades.

Make sure the National Library accept a copy, as that'd put you on the radar in terms of electronic searches by both the research libraries and the lending libraries.

Excellent advice Airshipped and thank you kindly for your kind words.

Hope it is better researched than the "county" series, my late Great Uncle is under Waterford (birth) and Wexford (enlisted) plus his name is spelled in two different ways.

He is listed as Goggin (SDGW and 'The People' newspaper) Goggins (CWGC), SDGW shows he was born in Ballybricken, County Waterford and also that he enlisted in Wexford, how does that show bad research? Where did I err?

Edited by museumtom

Bad form, I think:   The variation in spelling the name  appears  elsewhere- notably on your own list of those you remember on your profile- Is one of those spelled incorrectly?

Pte William Goggins, 18124, 7th Company, Machine Gun Corps, w.i.a.

Pte Patrick Goggin, 6268, C Company, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regiment, P.O.W 20 Nov 1914.

On 18/06/2017 at 11:32, museumtom said:

He is listed as Goggin (SDGW and 'The People' newspaper) Goggins (CWGC), SDGW shows he was born in Ballybricken, County Waterford and also that he enlisted in Wexford, how does that show bad research? Where did I err?

The orthography is not your fault, from what I gather the "s" was added at about that time. Yes born in Ballybricken, and indeed enlisted in Wexford. 

Bad form, I think:   The variation in spelling the name  appears  elsewhere- notably on your own list of those you remember on your profile- Is one of those spelled incorrectly?

Pte William Goggins, 18124, 7th Company, Machine Gun Corps, w.i.a.

Pte Patrick Goggin, 6268, C Company, 2nd Bn Royal Irish Regiment, P.O.W 20 Nov 1914.

Patrick was a cousin and the Waterford ones (those who remained there) never used a final "s". 

I stand in amazement at the sheer volume (or 15!!) of work that Tom has done- I am a latecomer to the party compared to those who have helped him with queries over many years- My local Roll has only 360-odd persons-yet all the problems you raise are there- and must have caused Tom quite a bit of time and frustration to sort out. 

Different spellings of names are not uncommon-multiplied by the number of different record series they are in. I have a lcoal casualty, surname Tavener- though many sources bung in an extra "R" to make it the more common  Taverner.   Oddly, it is usually  CWGC that proves to be wrong in my experience- though they are speedy and willing to correct- while Soldiers Effects has yet to be wrong at all.

In the specific context of the Great War and Ireland, there appears to be no set rule or law on how to spell a surname. I do not know if Tom can comment from examples but the "Gaelicization" (Is that the right word?)of surnames was a phenomenon well under way before 1914.  

Thank you kindly GUEST. Your help in the past went a long way to put these books together. The 15 volumes, were really not as much of a task as I just record what I have found, a lot of times with the unselfish help of others, especially those on this forum. It does show how much information there is out there, especially in the newspapers!.

Kind regards.

Tom.