Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

depaor01

Hi all,

A sort of "Reasons to be Cheerful" post. Many years ago my dad spoke of an uncle (my grand-uncle, Edward Connolly) who was in the Dublin Fusiliers, and who was a POW in Hanover and survived the war. He remembered the man as visiting his home regularly and having a wounded hand.

Much later, dad visited his cousin, (the son of the Dublin Fusilier) and was shown his three service medals which he photographed.

Both men now being deceased, and having discovered the photo of the medal among my dad's possessions, I wondered about the fate of the medals. After two years of tracking I found they were still in the possession of a solicitor. They contacted the executors of the Connolly estate who very kindly agreed to hand them over to me.

I am now the proud custodian of my granny's brother's medals. I am so delighted to have these.  

Apparently when the family received the notification of Edward Connolly's capture, they had to take the letter to the German organist in the nearby cathedral as they couldn't understand the contents.

I have his MIC, and medal roll entries. His Red Cross record has this entry:

rc.jpg.8c5610109d80d8e5bd8d8a998d4777ca.jpg

...which confirms his transfer to Josephstift Hospital in Celle, and also confirms his hand injury.  I think L. Fuss mean a left foot injury...

To my surprise, there was another Royal Medico-Psychological Association medal "For proficiency in Mental Nursing" named to E. Connolly.  

nurs.jpg.f51f9059161583dc2a0bc72cdec2cf44.jpgec2.jpg.bd20b84768fc40d056c0cdca2db1bab2.jpg

From a post elsewhere by the late Sue Light, I see that this version dates from at least 1926 as it has a crest to centre.

So would anyone know if there are any medal rolls for this award? (there is no family history, as far as I'm aware, of his having been in psychiatry).

If anyone knows of the existence of any documents apart from the ones I've mentioned I'd be delighted for any additional info about him.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 years later...

Another resurrected thread - apologies but I continue to revisit bits of research and I would like to get this right as this man is related to me.

I'm now trying to piece together my Grand Uncle Edward Connolly's service with no service papers surviving. I'd appreciate if my various assumptions could be confirmed or debunked.

Firstly, is my assumption (No. 1) correct that he was in the 2nd RDF (2/) based on the BWM rolls?

Untitled2.jpg.92eca7006558062fcd3a4cf59947b4db.jpgUntitled.jpg.1feec637cf509d5bd762db0359d9abee.jpg

Another assumption (No. 2) I have is that his enlistment was just pre-war based on his number of 5420.

His disembarkation date is given as 23/10/14 so looking at the 2nd RDF War Diaries there were additions on the 26th October 1914 of 179 OR reinforcements with Captains Trigma(?) and Weir. Can I assume (No. 3!) that he was one of these men?

His capture seems easy to pinpoint - I assume (No. 4) at 2nd Ypres near Vlamertinghe Chateau - although again there is no mention of prisoners being taken on this date which makes me doubt myself.

Would love to see my four assumptions confirmed - or even otherwise.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave

2 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Firstly, is my assumption (No. 1) correct that he was in the 2nd RDF (2/) based on the BWM rolls?

Yes

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Yes

Thanks Charlie. The most important assumption confirmed :thumbsup:

There is the history of 2nd RDF "Crown & Company 1911 - 1922" that may have a bit more then WD

when was he born ?

The reason I ask is because for 1st and 2nd Bns the 5420 was an 1895 number and I presume can be ignored. There seem to be a variety of dates for similar numbers in 3rd or 4th Bns eg 1908 1912 etc !

Edited by charlie962

14 hours ago, charlie962 said:

when was he born ?

The reason I ask is because for 1st and 2nd Bns the 5420 was an 1895 number and I presume can be ignored. There seem to be a variety of dates for similar numbers in 3rd or 4th Bns eg 1908 1912 etc !

Yes I looked at numbers and enlistment dates and came up with very old enlistment dates. The dates on SWB listings are more likely for him - early 1914 but I'm not sure.

He was born 1895.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by depaor01

28 minutes ago, corisande said:

There is the history of 2nd RDF "Crown & Company 1911 - 1922" that may have a bit more then WD

Will look for that when I have more info. Thanks Corisande.

Dave

The 5420s were used by 1st and 2nd Bns 1895

The 5420s were used by 5th Bn Militia in 1903. If a man then trf'd to Special Reserve he kept his Militia number.

The 5420s were used by 3rd Bn Special Reserve c 30/12/12. Sign on for 6 years.

Given his age he would fit the last set, being 17 and a half in Dec 1912. So I suggest that is when he joined SR on 6 yr basis and was mobilised Aug 1914.

Charlie

3 hours ago, depaor01 said:

His capture seems easy to pinpoint - I assume (No. 4) at 2nd Ypres near Vlamertinghe Chateau - although again there is no mention of prisoners being taken on this date which makes me doubt myself.

The 1914 Roll says PoW 24/5/15.

ICRC card says 24/5/15        

Which don't you believe ?

Charlie

Report from Base 18 June 1915 has a long list of missing. Check a few others out ? But that date woul suggest a May capture. It does also confirm 2nd Bn.

Courtesy findmypast newspapers:

1066317333_GWFRDFMissingReport18Jun1915.JPG.d90659ce652a0d99e9ef8a962cd47f21.JPG

eg Acting Co Sgt Major Coombes 7376, was reported missing presumed dead 24/5/15 per his service papers.

Edited by charlie962

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Which don't you believe ?

I didn't have confidence all of my info necessarily was correct. The POW date was  certain as you say, but the fact that the war diary didn't mention POWs being taken on that date prompted my doubt.

Dave

Hi Dave,

He seems to have several Red Cross records...

image.png.31a150318baf3ca6ab2dc0b777069439.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

His repatriation record (link) shows that he arrived back in the UK on 22.11.1918, disembarking from the SS Porto at Hull. Whilst his service number on it is shown as 5428, that would appear to be a typo, as he under his 5420 number, along with the other RDF on the list appear as returned PoWs on this War Office Casualty List - link.

Regards

Chris

34 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

The 5420s were used by 1st and 2nd Bns 1895

The 5420s were used by 5th Bn Militia in 1903. If a man then trf'd to Special Reserve he kept his Militia number.

The 5420s were used by 3rd Bn Special Reserve c 30/12/12. Sign on for 6 years.

Given his age he would fit the last set, being 17 and a half in Dec 1912. So I suggest that is when he joined SR on 6 yr basis and was mobilised Aug 1914.

Charlie

My great grand uncle was in the same draft (23/10/14) to the 2/RDF and he was a reservist with the 5th battalion RDF. So perhaps Connolly was too. 

Edited by Jervis

10 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

but the fact that the war diary didn't mention POWs being taken on that date prompted my doubt.

The War Diary includes a casualty list which says for 24/5/15 there were at least 545 ORs missing. Which diary were you looking at ? Try here

That page is followed by an extensive (7 page) typed report on the action of 24/5/15.

Edited by charlie962

Back home now. The history of 2nd RDF "Crown & Company 1911 - 1922" has several pages on the action on 24 May 1915.

It says by the evening of 24 May at 9.30 pm when they withdrew, the strength of the battalion was 1 officer and 20 OR, all that remained of the 17 officers and 651 OR who had stood to arms in the morning

Edited by corisande

That was the gas attack on the 2/RDF at mouse trap farm, part of the second battle of Ypres. There is a small book by Tom Burke on that particular event: RDF books  

Given the massive losses it is not surprising that the war diary does not record their PoWs! 

Jervis

Wow! I'll need to digest all that. I really appreciate all your help on this. I doubted my research and thought no more docs existed.

Many thanks.

Dave

Edited by depaor01

9 minutes ago, Jervis said:

There is a small book by Tom Burke on that particular event

On inspecting my bookshelves, I see that I have  Tom Burkes book It is nearly 50 pages long and would be very useful for you to get a copy

I see Amazon will sell you one for £119 , but Abe Books will do it for 20€

4 hours ago, depaor01 said:

His disembarkation date is given as 23/10/14 so looking at the 2nd RDF War Diaries there were additions on the 26th October 1914 of 179 OR reinforcements with Captains Trigma(?) and Weir. Can I assume (No. 3!) that he was one of these men?

What you need to do is look for surviving service records of men with same landing date on the Medal Roll. A quick look and the first one I found was a 3rd Bn SR man who was posted to 2nd Bn on the same day as Embarkation. Unfortunately I haven't found one with a 'joined unit in the field' date.

Charlie

44 minutes ago, corisande said:

On inspecting my bookshelves, I see that I have  Tom Burkes book It is nearly 50 pages long and would be very useful for you to get a copy

I see Amazon will sell you one for £119 , but Abe Books will do it for 20€

I got my copy for €10 in the shop at Collins barracks museum - although who knows when that will re-open. 

I can't thank you all enough for all this extra info. Although I am a collector, I remember and commemorate all those whose medals I keep.

However this man is in a different category as a blood relation. I didn't think I could find anything more about him. Thanks again. I will be busy!

Dave

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bother again - I'm pretty sure this man would have been entitled to clasp and roses - but no mention on his MIC

Was he entitled?

Thanks again!

Dave

30850_A000356-00361.jpg

2 hours ago, depaor01 said:

I'm pretty sure this man would have been entitled to clasp and roses - but no mention on his MIC

Was he entitled?

On the same page of the RDF 1914 Star Medal Roll are three other men who landed the same day, 23/10/14 - One of whom got his Clasp & Roses issued in Sept 1931

Others on earlier pages, landing 9/10/1914, had theirs issued in 1930, 31 & 38, others landing later were also issued in the 1930s.  Some of the earlier landings got C&R in the 1920s.

The majority of men on these pages of the Roll do not have C&R issues.

I think some men applied for their C&R

Perhaps others didn't know or bother about them.

???

:-) M