Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miscellaneous Salient photos 2

Chris_Baker

Is it just me, or does this plaque rather "tacky",

Its more than tacky Im actually upset about it, :angry: It was never needed and has really shown what idiots are allowed loose , when I was a kid I used to stand near that stone whilst Dad told me about the place.

Roop

I am curious thouugh if the plaque is still attached to the stone, and if it was ever determined who put it there.

Andy

Andy,

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

The thread you refer to, with two photos recently taken by Jacky P. shows that the plaque has been removed.

Anyway, as far as I know, it has never been determined who attached it one and a half (or more) years ago.

Aurel

Good point Aurel... If I had paid attention to myself maybe I wouldn't have gotten so confused!! ;) All I can say is that it was early this morning and I wanted to save the threads for later and look at both.

just an excuse.... Andy

Anyway, as far as I know, it has never been determined who attached it one and a half (or more) years ago.

I photographed the stone with the plaque on in May 2002, so it must have been on there at least two and a half years.

Until you posted your reply in the other thread, I wasn't aware it hadn't been there for a long time before that (although looking again at my picture, the fixings do look pretty recent!).

Having now read the rest of this thread, I can see what you meant by your comment about it maybe not being a shame!

Alan

Looking at the redundant screw holes and weathering the offending plaque looks most second hand. could it have been somewhere else, on something which has now gone.

Looking at the redundant screw holes and weathering the offending plaque looks most second hand. could it have been somewhere else, on something which has now gone.

I don't think so. True, there are redundant holes...

But the plaque itself names "Hellfire corner" and "This stone". So it must have been designed (written) to be attached to the stone itself.

Maybe holes had been made before it was taken to Hellfire corner, because the intention was to screw it on the stone, but seeing that this proved to be technically impossible, maybe the plaque was simply attached to it in a rather sloppy way ? (Silicon ?)

Aurel

I first saw the Hellfire Corner stone in 2002 and the plaque was attached then. The silly thing is I didn't actually read it, and assumed it had always been there - I even thought the sloppy glue job was the result of recent maintenance! Now that I know the full story, it certainly seems strange that someone would stick a plaque on a monument, particularly one as rare as a demarcation stone.

That's my two cents - spend it wisely.

Mat

It's a shame when whatever the motives , people feel the need to "add to" a monument in this way. Surely if the idea is worthy, a successful campaign would be more in keeping with the spirit of the monument.

I really can't understand why someone would want to stick poppies to a gravestone with superglue either. CWGC stones and most other monuments are elegant in their simplicity- why deface them with the likes of superglue and silicon???