Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying WWI Somme finds?

Richard W

1 hour ago, Richard W said:

In the spirit of goodwill and a 'thank you' to everyone for your kind and encouraging posts I have attached two photos of our little collection of finds - or 'treasures' as my, wait for it......................26 year old son, yes 26, calls them. As you can see, to most people it's just rusty junk, but not to me and my family - hence my primary post asking for a little identification. My wife is currently making a framed display of the items each of my sons found to hang on the walls of their respective houses. There are stories, honour, bravery and horror here and, as we wrote in the memory book at the Australian memorial in April, "We will never allow anyone to forget!" Thanks all, my enthusiasm for the forum is restored. Cheers, Rich

IMG_0002.JPG.b5dd130a5c0cac8a85da461ceaf62885.JPGIMG_0001.JPG.9901d8ca7b0fced632c5b643638695fc.JPG

Nice collection of random rusty bits Rich.

I'm not sure what category I fit into, I prefer my ordnance inert, it's not for sale at profit and I always hope someone else has one and can tell me what mine is. 

I have some rusty relics, most are of no archeological value,  as Trajan points out some finds could have meaning only in the original location.  I purchased a numbered spoon, as a field find relic it could possibly have led to an identification of a casualty if properly recorded. 

Happy travels. 

image.jpeg

Very nice collection, GWF1967, very personal too by the looks of it? As they should be, I think. Needs a bit more rust though................................................:D

13 hours ago, Richard W said:

Very nice collection, GWF1967, very personal too by the looks of it? As they should be, I think. Needs a bit more rust though................................................:D

Huge amounts of rusty metal involved in my day job. 

Never er say never though!?

image.jpeg

52 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Huge amounts of rusty metal involved in my day job. 

Well, I have just learnt that I am back up for teaching first year students the basics of archaeological surveying next-but-one term, and we need some surveyors pins, and so if you could lop of a bit to make them 20 cm long they'll be ideal!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rich

I agree with GWF1967 about finds having meaning only in their original location. If you haven't already thought of it (and you probably have), I suggest carefully cleaning/brushing off as much as possible of the surface crud and bagging the items with labels indicating where and when they were found. You might think there's no need because you remember it now, but 20 years later it might be a bit different!

I don't think there are many visitors to the battlefields who wouldn't pick up interesting-looking surface finds that clearly aren't munitions. They'd all have been ploughed under the following year anyway.

Belated welcome to the forum!

Regards, W.

I was at Hooge Crater museum the other week, and like many other I have visited, the one at Albert being the best, you can buy battle field pickups/relics that farmers have handed in to make money, so finding them your self no problem, when I say this mind, I mean inert pickups/relics. 

Edited by pioneecorps

• 6 years later...

Hi All,

I found this object near the Somme battlefields near Albert, I was wondering if anyone here could help me identify what this object is? I think it might be a pocket watch, locket, or something circular.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. What are the measurements/weight/thickness? 

Hello Michelle Young,

Thank you for replying swiftly, I will get back to you with the measurement, weight and thickness of the object as soon as I can.

Hello Michelle Young,

The measurements are 5cm by 5cm not sure about the thickness, the rough weight estimate would be around 100g-250g, it is reasonably heavy. I do not have a scale, hence the rough estimate.

• Admin

It could be the base of a German stick grenade, the plunger from a shrapnel shell, even a piece of Massey Ferguson! At the end of the day, I’m afraid to say, it’s  a piece of rusty metal that may or may not be Great War related. 

Thank you for the observations, the German stick grenade is a good observation, although I am convinced  it is a pocket watch or locket due to its round shape.

Edited by NEDW

yes Looks like a British water bottle

Tony

1 hour ago, NEDW said:

Hi All,

Can anyone help me identify whether this is a French, German or British grenade?

4E461603-2955-4D3F-B839-5A56C58B5A18.jpeg

I'm no expert but looks like a German egg grenade

images (2).jpeg

Hi All,

Thank you ever so much for your replies, I have one more question you all today.

Found this button near Redan Ridge, does anyone have any idea whether it is German, British, or something else?993A1454-A56E-4E15-8DF2-20E850474D03.jpeg.4cfa86d14729698f5a68c624cabf39e5.jpeg

Possibly a press stud from British pattern 1908 web equipment 

May I suggest forum members add the What3words app to their mobile phones.

This allows you to record the location where you find things to within a metre I believe. As someone who has found human bones on a battlefield (near Mametz) What3 words is a useful tool when reporting or recoding finds. 

good morning,

A less close photo would be better because the one presented hurts the eyes.
In addition a photo of the other side would be useful too.
otherwise, at first glance it reminds me of a snap button for Webb pattern 1908 equipment.

cartouchiresdroite.JPG.8c0669ed4124f245b6736f53b821a7ee.JPG

michel