Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name and number discrepancies Daily Lists

Skipman

This is a list of men who are named in various War Office Daily Lists as 'wounded' They all appear to have an Aberfeldy connection. I am having trouble finding medal index cards for men whose names match the service numbers given. Can you help identify these men. The numbers are as they appear on the War Office lists, have attached a couple of examples.

1) W Mcpherson 21770... Regiment: Seaforth Highlanders... Rank: Lance Corporal... Daily List: 14th November 1917...

2) D Robertson 17515... Regiment: Black Watch... Rank: Private... Daily List: 11th April 1917...

3) D Stewart  8986... Regiment: Gordon Highlanders... Daily List: 16th August 1917... also wounded 8986... Regiment: Gordon Highlanders... Daily List: 9th January 1918

4) A Adamson 316431... Regiment: The Black Watch... Daily List: 17th August 1917...

5) A Low 316358... Regiment: The Black Watch... Daily List: 3rd November 1917...

Mike

temp wounded 1 McPherson W Seaforth.PNG

temp wounded 2 Gordons D Stewart.PNG

Edited by Skipman

Have just found S/21770 William McPherson Medal Index Card on National Archives site, but can't find it on Ancestry

Mike

1 minute ago, RussT said:

Donald Stewart Gordon Highlanders S/8986, later Royal Highlanders S/41348

Excellent Thanks RussT that's the one.

Mike

6 minutes ago, RussT said:

There is an Andrew S Low 315886 Royal Highlanders, formerly Scottish Horse 5007

Possible, will see if can confirm

Mike

• Admin

There is a gap in the Royal Highlanders medal roll for 316358 but a surname Low would fit the alphabetical sequence

316353 Hunter

316354 Kiddle

316355 -

316356 Logan

316357 Lothian

316358 -

316359 Marnoch

316360 McEwan

316361 McIntyre

They are all ex Scottish Horse.

So A Low with 316358 looks like a later transfer to some other unit and is on that other unit's roll but perhaps not with his former RH number mentioned.

Russ

Edited by RussT

• Admin

There is an Alexander Low, Labour Corps 562504 who was formerly 152 Scottish Horse.

I would venture that this could well be him - there would be no need to have his former RH number on his MIC

Russ

RussT that is very good work and I think you may have got it. Will have a look at a few things and report back. If can't prove it, I can go to Dunkeld and check the Scottish Horse ledgers, if the Museum is ever open.

Cheers Mike

That's some 'find' IPT, well done indeed. Is that from the 13th Black Watch battalion diary, or from the 81st? Brigade diary.

Is "How" and error and is that an asterisk noting a correction?

Mike

It's a telegram from 3rd Echelon, Salonica - "Balkans Force Casualties".

Whilst "How" may very well be an error, I think that the asterisk is just a splodge as there are others on the page.

• Admin

I would conclude it is a typographical error and the name should read Low.

All the men between 316331 (Anderson) to 316371 (Stewart) are in surname alphabetical order - 316358 How would be the only man in that series out of alphabetical sequence.

All were ex Scottish Horse - the extract shows he was at the time with the 13th Bn Royal Highlanders - which was formed from the dismounted Scottish Horse Yeomanry.

Russ

9 hours ago, RussT said:

I would conclude it is a typographical error and the name should read Low.

I agree. The names appear to be in alphabetical order, which makes Low much more likely than How. The next name seems to begin with M.

Ron

This one's doing my head in too.

201200 C F Robertson, Royal Scots Casualty Status Wounded Home Town / Place of Enlistment Aberfeldy Daily List Date 28th November 1917

Mike

Probably 201202 Charles F Robertson.

Edit - Scotsman 30th November 1917 - Robertson , 201202 , C . F . ( Aberfeldy )

Edited by IPT

5 minutes ago, IPT said:

Probably 201202 Charles F Robertson.

Well, I suppose it could be him. Click

Well done again IPT. I couldn't see it for looking at it.

Mike