Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name and number discrepancies Daily Lists

Skipman

19 minutes ago, IPT said:

Yes, via FindmyPast.

Ah. Can I ask you, what did you input in the search box. I have searched the BNA using various combinations but no joy. The BNA search is very good.

Mike

You're showing off now. I think I will give it a break for the night, am obviously not concentrating. In my defence, it does say Aberfoldy.

Thanks again though, appreciate your help.

Mike

Mike,   Found McPherson, William, #'s s/21770, 1/1544, and 1/13069.  Last two are in Tr Bn.  Put him in as William McPherson/ 21770 and check mark the Seaforth for regt.  It'll say 118 options.  He's the 12th.  (hope I did this right).     Bif

Sorry to bother you again guys. I'm struggling with another one. can you share your method and then I won't have to keep bothering you. I have found this soldier in the Scotsman and the Genealogist daily Lists so the number looks right but can't find a MIC on Ancestry or the National Archive.

Would you say it's easier to search on FindMyPast, I'm sure the chronic indexing on Ancestry.co.uk doesn't help.

201203 A C Stewart, Royal Scots Casualty Status Wounded Home Town / Place of Enlistment Aberfeldy Daily List Date 27th December 1917

One possibe is this man?

Mike

temp stewart roll.PNG

11 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Sorry to bother you again guys. I'm struggling with another one. can you share your method and then I won't have to keep bothering you. I have found this soldier in the Scotsman and the Genealogist daily Lists so the number looks right but can't find a MIC on Ancestry or the National Archive.

Would you say it's easier to search on FindMyPast, I'm sure the chronic indexing on Ancestry.co.uk doesn't help.

201203 A C Stewart, Royal Scots Casualty Status Wounded Home Town / Place of Enlistment Aberfeldy Daily List Date 27th December 1917

One possibe is this man?

Mike

temp stewart roll.PNG

I find FMP easier than Ancestry although their MIC index just links back to the N/A - I can't see #201203 on FMP.

The Scotsman and the Genealogist may be derived from the same source list so it could be an error in that which has propagated.

Craig

" but the number's not the card (could have if it was a 'home' number) "  Sorry Craig not quite sure what you mean.

I don't subscribe to FMP unfortunately.

The daily lists seem strewn with errors. Is it possible that these errors were deliberate for sake of secrecy/confidentiality?

Mike

temp stewart.PNG

I have found the MIC  for this man in the National Archives but cannot find it in the Ancestry set. I don't want to keep spending £3.50's for a MIC that definitely exists and should be in the Ancestry version. Can anyone see it?

Peter Norman Robertson

660722 P Robertson, Royal Field Artillery. (Also 1844) Casualty Status Wounded Home Town / Place of Enlistment Aberfeldy Daily List Date 8th January 1918

Mike

• Admin

I don't think he will be 201773.

The Scotsman 29/12/1917 has him correctly as 201203

The relevant RS medal roll page shows a gap for 201203, so he is likely to have been transferred elsewhere after his wounding and he would appear on the roll to whatever unit he transferred.

I can't find him on a different unit's roll - neither under his 201203 number nor under his likely previous 4-digit number (for 1/4th RS). The latter number must have been somewhere between 4378 and 4381 (inclusive) - you can see from the roll that the men were 6-digit re-numbered in 4-digit number numerical sequence.

201203 -1.JPG

201203 -2.JPG

Edited by RussT

• Admin

This one - he was 10th on the hit list - which just goes to show how rubbish the Ancestry search engine is:

Robinson.JPG

If I were to have put an N after Peter, he would have appeared 1st on the list. The engine clearly puts numbers well down on the search criteria

Edited by RussT

God grief! I have a lot to learn. roy* fie*

I'm more than impressed.

Is it just me or has the Ancestry search got worse recently. I used to be able to find things. One page of medal rolls I was looking at was titled "Philadelhia  blah blah blah" What's that all about?

Mike

Edited by Skipman

• Admin

I would always recommend using wildcards - i.e. with an * e.g. roy* fie* as above for Royal Field Artillery.

Ancestry's search engine has numerous problems and it has indeed got worse.

Firstly, it has not transcribed unit references consistently (unlike FindMyPast), so a unit such as Royal Field Artillery might be transcribed in all sorts of weird ways - (that's always been a problem).

Secondly, it seems to use the service number well down in it's list of search criteria. So I always tend to use the TNA, then Ancestry to view the card itself - (this wasn't a problem until a few years ago).

FindMyPast is far superior for searching, especially for service records. In particular, Ancestry very poorly indexes men only on his first service number, whereas FMP strives and does well to index a man with every number he may have had. Often you only have a man's last number, so FMP's indexing can be crucial to finding a record, particularly for a man with a common name. The only (small) annoyance I have with FMP is that you can't paginate backwards through a record (if it just so happens to find a later number on a page other than the first page) but that is well compensated by the fact that for a given unit and number range, I consistently find far more records on FMP than Ancestry.

FMP's use of wildcards is also far superior in comparison to Ancestry

Russ

OK Russ, thank you. Who would have though Ancestry's indexing could get worse. Will have to muddle along with Ancestry for the time being. Thank you all for spending your valuable time helping me out.

Mike