Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Rangers" Memorial

dtanglewood

I have visited Chenies Street, London recently and the Memorial to The London Regiment, "The Rangers" is looking rather sad. This memorial primarily commemorates the young men (including two of my own 19 year old cousins) who lost their lives on 9th April 1917 during the advance on and capture of Neuville-Vitasse at the south of Arras plus other battles.  It is a significant monument and is a grade 2 listed piece of architecture which originally stood in a landscaped garden in North Crescent. To whom could I make contact regarding the encouragement of a tidying up project? The memorial is faced across the street, by the entrance to the drill hall where these territorial soldiers enlisted and probably received some initial training. The Army today uses some of the barracks around the London area as it did then.

During WW2 the US Army occupied what is called the Eisenhower Centre, an undeground bunker, which is part of London Underground System of tunnels, used currently as a commercial storage facility. The surface level entrance to this facility swamps the "Rangers" memorial and the occupiers frequently park their vans directly in front of the memorial, hiding it from street view. (see google maps).

Chenies Street is in the Borough of Camden and their Councillors lay wreaths at the memorial in November each year.

Centenary of the Battle of Arras and Vimy Ridge approaches fast. No special commemoration in London as far as I can find, but Edinburgh recognises the Scottish losses on 8th and 9th April 2017.  A forgotten battle in London?

I hope to visit northern France later this year.

Any encouragement and advice on my concerns will be welomed by me.

Thanks in advance

David

David, it's a few years since I last saw the memorial in question, but even then it looked rather sad and forlorn (with the added bonus of a reasonable amount of dog mess around it, I recall), and the setting is awful.

War Memorials Trust?Click

Out of interest, my regiment (London Scottish) are staging a pilgrimage later this year - not until September (to avoid the crowds).

On 20/10/2012 at 22:21, MBrockway said:

For info, the Poly terriers Rangers Memorial is in Chenies Street in Bloomsbury:

http://goo.gl/maps/8vRuq

On 24/10/2012 at 00:25, MBrockway said:

A link to a more informative webpage on the Rangers Memorial is here:

http://www.londonremembers.com/memorials/chenies-street-war-memorial

It includes detail of the inscriptions and a bit of explanation as to how the memorial became swamped by the entrances to the Goodge Street Deep Level Shelter.

Cheers,

Mark

Added for background interest.

Mark

Know the monument very well- used to live nearby as a student (Fitzroy St.) many years ago- before the document storage people blighted it all. As it Grade II listed, then a start might be the responsible planning officers at LB Camden- Town Hall is opposite BL and St. Pancras. Much of Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia is listed and Camden can run hot and cold on planning issues in the area (experience of running a retail business there as well!!). Alas, I suspect the good news is that the monument is listed-but the former garden is not. (Ironic, as although a garden, it might have come under the provisions of the London Squares Act or equivalent- but as Camden allowed the Brunswick Centre ("Hanging Gardens of Babylon"), which obliterated Brunswick Square, I wouldn't hold my breath)  Thus, it's forlorn status is likely to continue.

Also- who owns the memorial and the physical blob of land it stands on????  I have a similar problem in the east of London with a local memorial where the local council hasn't a clue- memorial was given to a predecessor council in 1922 (tracked in old council minutes for that borough) - but the land is Corporation of London but tended by the current local authority (Agreement between former council and Corporation tracked back to 1910).  IF an owner of the memorial can be traced, then Camden can insist on it's upkeep-but.again alas, it appears not to be anything much wrong with the memorial-just the dowdiness of the it's surrounding.

By the way, many of the Rangers came from the then Polytechnic-now the University of Westminster- just near the Beeb in Langham Place/top of Regent Street. Full list of names- kept in excellent condition and well maintained in the foyer of the old Polytechnic building

Incidentally, the Chenies Street drill hall was originally built in 1882 for the Bloomsbury Rifles - proper title 19th (St Giles and St George's Bloomsbury) Middlesex Volunteer Rifle Corps.  HQ was formally moved there in 1887 according to Ray Westlake.  From 1881 they were the 6th Volunteer Battalion, Rifle Brigade (from 1892–1899, they were the RB's 5th VB).

They amalgamated in 1908 with the 1st (Victoria and St George's) Middlesex VRC in 1908 to form 9th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Queen Victoria's) - better known as the QVR's.  9/LR headquarters were at 56 Davies Street, Westminster.

The Rangers were originally the 22nd (Central London Rifle Rangers) Middlesex VRC1 and were the 8th Volunteer Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps from 1882 (after a brief spell of less than a year affiliated to the RF).  In 1908 they became 12th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (The Rangers).  Westlake does not give their headquarters location, but the 1909 Annual Army List has them at Chenies Street (and 9/LR at Davies Street).  The Annual Army Lists do not include the VF units before 1908 and I don't have access to the earlier Monthly Lists which do.

[Edit: 1 By which I mean pre-Haldane.  They had earlier been the 40th Middlesex RVC, from which they acquired their "EXCEL" cap badge motto - that being a pun on "XL"]

I have assumed that references in my sources to HQs being in Bedford Square, Tottenham Court Road and even in one case Tottenham, all point to 16 Chenies Street.

To add to the confusion(!),  I should also mention the earlier 19th Middlesex RVC, also raised in Bloomsbury from the Working Men's College in Great Ormond Street by Thomas Hughes of Tom Brown's Schooldays fame.  This was renumbered as 10th Middlesex VRC in 1880, had a brief spell as a VB of the KRRC before switching in 1883 to become 1st VB of the RF and eventually 1st (City of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

Genealogy of LR antecedents is never simple!

Edited by MBrockway

The Rangers were also the first volunteer unit to acquire a machine gun!  From Ian Beckett's excellent Riflemen Form ...

In June 1882 Colonel Alt of the Central London Rangers purchased two Nordenfelt machine-guns but the regiment was not allowed to use them on parade although permission was granted to use them at Aldershot.  The machine-gun was, in the view of Volunteers such as T. Sturmy Cave of the 1st V.B. Hants., a potential solution to the Volunteer's lack of artillery support.  The attitude of the War Office was not encouraging and prompted the Volunteer Service Gazette to comment that presumably the Central London Rangers would not be invited to leave their guns at home in the event of an invasion.

Beckett, op.cit, p.200

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Thanks everyone, your input has helped me and I shall find out who is the nice person at Camden who may be able to help. I may also contact the current Territorial Army and Royal British Legion in the Bloomsbury area.

I will let you know what progresses. The garden of remembrance at Westminster Abbey does not have many attendees in the Rangers London Regiment section.

Not many relatives remaining I imagine.

I have seen the graves of my two cousins in Neuville-Vitasse. They are well tended in a very pleasant cemetary. 

I suppose the memorials will all fade away in time and the memory with us.

I will be in touch.

Thanks

David

6 hours ago, dtanglewood said:

I may also contact the current Territorial Army

'Army Reserve' these days ;)

Talking of which, and Mr Brockway might know, is there a residuary unit of the Rangers? Does anyone still carry their Honours - company of The Rifles anywhere, possibly?

12 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Talking of which, and Mr Brockway might know, is there a residuary unit of the Rangers? Does anyone still carry their Honours - company of The Rifles anywhere, possibly?

These genealogies are never simple, but I can confirm the WW1 and WW2 Battle Honours of The Rangers are now carried by 7/RIFLES.

As regards the genealogy of The Rangers from the Great War onwards, here's my best effort ...

1916 - 12/LR (The Rangers) re-affiliated to the KRRC
1919 - 2nd line etc. bns disbanded, 1st line Bn placed into suspended animation

1920 - reformed as 12th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (The Rangers)

1921 - TF became TA

1922 - The Rangers re-titled as a separate "regiment" with title 12th London Regiment (The Rangers), still affiliated to the KRRC.

1937 - re-titled as "The Rangers, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps" with "London Regiment" disappearing from title

1939 - The Rangers raise a second battalion.  

1941 - The two Rangers bns. became numbered KRRC bns. - re-titled as 9th and 10th Bns, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps, (The Rangers)

1947 - The Rangers transferred to affiliate to the Rifle Brigade
1947 - last reference I can find to The Rangers being at Chenies Street Drill hall

1950 - merged with London Rifle Brigade (the only other remaining LR RB bn) to become The London Rifle Brigade Rangers

1956 - Formation of 169 (Green Jackets) Brigade TA within 56 (London) Division.  Consisting of Queen Victoria's Rifles, Queen's

Westminsters & The London Rifle Brigade Rangers

[1961 QVR and QWR (the two remaining LR KRRC bns) merged to become The Queen's Royal Rifles (QRR)]

[01 Jan 1966 - formation of The Royal Green Jackets]
1966 - redesignated as "3rd Green Jackets, The Rifle Brigade (London Rifle Brigade/Rangers), The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own)"

1967 - TA became TAVR leading to large scale re-organisation and this is where it begins to be difficult to trace The Rangers lineage with confidence ...
QRR, The London Rifle Brigade Rangers and the OBLI's TA battalion merged into TWO battalions each taking men from all three antecedent

battalions.  This reflected the difference in role (and therefore soldiers' commitment) of TAVR II (immediate reinforcements to the BAOR)

and TAVR III (Home Defence).  Obviously the serving territorials in any existing battalion could choose either option  ...
4th (Volunteer) Bn., Royal Green Jackets. Sponsored by the QRR and HQ at 56 Davies Street, Westminster (TAVR II)
5th (Territorial) Bn., Royal Green Jackets. Sponsored by the The London Rifle Brigade Rangers and HQ at 24 Sun Street, Finsbury Square (TAVR III)

The Rangers elements were ...
For TAVR II - C Company (London Rifle Brigade Rangers), 4th (V) Battalion, RGJ at Sun Street
For TAVR III - B Company (London Rifle Brigade Rangers), 5th (T) Battalion, RGJ at West Ham

The 1967 KRRC Association Newsletter apparently has a detailed article describing the establishment of 4/RGJ, and its split of companies, but I do not have this edition.  As far as I can tell, the Bn had HQ coy and three rifle coys A-C.  Bn HQ was at 56 Davies Street representing the QVR's, A Coy was at Slade Park, Oxford representing the OBLI & Bucks Bn elements; B coy was at 58 Buckingham Gate SW1 representing the QWR, C Coy was at 24 Sun Street representing the LRB and The Rangers.

1969 - most of the London TAVR III infantry reduced to cadre

1969 - 5th (Territorial) Bn., RGJ reduced to cadre and redesignated Royal Green Jackets London with HQ at Chelsea

[Edit: 1969 - D Coy, 4th (V) Bn., RGJ raised, definitely possibly in Aylesbury]

1975 - Royal Green Jackets London (erstwhile 5th (T) Bn., RGJ) disbanded, leaving only 4th (V) Battalion, RGJ

1979 - TAVR renamed TA

1982 - 4th (V) Bn., RGJ in 12 Armoured Bde, 1st Armoured Division (if mobilized)

pre-1984 - G Coy, 4th (V) Bn., RGJ raised, possibly in West Ham (mentioned in 1984 KRRC Newsletter)

1984 - there is this in the 4th (Volunteer) Battalion, RGJ section of the KRRC Association Newsletter 1984 edition:

Our links with our former Regiments were also strengthened by giving our companies the privilege of wearing the ties of the Regiments from which they descended:

A Company - 4th Bn The Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry,

B Company - The Queen's Westminster Rifles

C Company - The London Rifle Brigade

D Company - The Bucks Battalion

G Company - The Rangers

HQ Company & Bn HQ - The Queen Victoria's Rifles.

We now look forward to an interesting 1984, with plans firming up for the formation of an additional 4 RGJ company at Mile End Road and the creation of 5 RGJ over the period 1986-89 ...

1986 - 4th (V) Battalion, RGJ re-organised dropping the OBLI and Bucks Bn elements to become a purely London-based battalion. HQ at Davies Street. The non-London units became a new 5th (Volunteer) Bn. RGJ, which was developed over 1986-89
1986 - C Coy, 4th (V) Battalion, RGJ drops "London Rifle Brigade Rangers" from title.  Still at Sun Street.
1986 - F Coy, 4th (V) Battalion, RGJ newly raised at Mile End Road.

1992 - 4th (V) RGJ re-organised as three coy establishment. 
Bn HQ and HQ Coy at Davies Street.
G Coy, redesignated as A Coy.  Still at West Ham.

B Coy at Fulham

C Coy now at Clifton Street (probably the S end, which is now Crown Place and joins Sun Street)

Support platoons at Mile End Road.

Role now with 24 Airmobile Brigade in the ACE Rapid Reaction Corps.

1993 - London Regiment re-formed from most of the original non-RGJ 1908 London Regt elements

1994 - in general "(Volunteer) Battalion" was dropped from bn. titles

1999 - The Royal Rifle Volunteers (RRV) formed by amalgamation of part of 6th/7th (V) Bn The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, part of 2nd (V) Bn The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regt and 5th (V) Bn RGJ (this last named bn being the non-London RGJ volunteer units - see entry for 1986 above)

1999 - 4th (V) Bn., RGJ disbanded.
Companies amalgamated & transferred to London Regt ...
F (Royal Green Jackets) Coy, London Regt: old HQ & B coys and mortar platoon.  Based at Fulham and Davies St.
G (Royal Green Jackets) Coy, London Regt: old A coy and recce platoon.  Based at West Ham.
It is unclear what happened to old C coy, but my sources differ over whether The Rangers' traditions were carried forward by the new F or G Coy.

2006 - F & G (Royal Green Jackets) coys, LR, transferred to The Royal Rifle Volunteers (RRV) as F and G coys, but one of my sources says "For training only".  Perhaps this was because the rest of the RRV was scattered across Reading, High Wycombe, Oxford, Milton Keynes, Portsmouth and Swindon.

2007 - RRV (less C Coy, PWRR) became 7/RIFLES
F Coy, 7/RIFLES based at Davies Street, Westminster
G Coy, 7/RIFLES based at Army Reserve Centre, The Cedars, Portway, West Ham

On balance, since it's a contemporary account written by the battalion officers, I'm minded to give the greatest weight to the section from the 1984 KRRC Association Newsletter I have quoted above.  That would then trace The Rangers' later lineage through G Coy, 4/RGJ, through to A Coy, 4/RGJ, then G (Royal Green Jackets) Coy, London Regt, then briefly G Coy, Royal Rifle Volunteers, to the present G Coy, 7/RIFLES and all based at at West Ham.  In this I am by no means confident though :wacko:

As regards when The Rangers moved out of the Chenies Street Drill Hall ...

I seem to remember Chenies Street Drill Hall being a rehearsal space in my theatre days back in the 1980's (have vague recollection it may be where I assembled a blocking mock-up of a canal boat for rehearsal's of Ayckbourn's Way Upstream :lol:), but I cannot find anything definitive about when The Rangers vacated and moved to Sun Street, Finsbury Square (which was also the original location of 1st Cadet Battalion, KRRC, though IIRC there were another couple of military blocks close together in the area - artillery?) &/or West Ham.

The Rangers have their own section in the KRRC Association Newsletters, but ploughing through all of these looking properly for drill hall info was too large a task for now!

The OCA's address is given as 16 Chenies Street in the 1945 KRRC Chronicle, but by 1983 it has shifted to Davies Street.  The Rangers' contingent for that year's Remembrance Day Parade mustered at the Chenies Street Drill Hall, but it is not clear whether that was actually inside or just forming up outside the building. to move down to the nearby memorial where a short service was held before moving off to St Giles-in-the-Fields for the Armistice Service.

HTH ... and apologies in advance for E&OE  :lol:

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Minor typos corrected. Additional data added.

The Rangers took over the Chenies Street drill hall on 20th  June 1908.

Prior to that, they had been at 3 Henry Street, Gray's Inn Road (now renamed Roger Street) after a long spell at South Square and Field Court at Gray's Inn itself.

The Rangers memorial in 1949 when the WW2 plaque was unveiled ...

The Rangers Memorial Chenies St 02.jpg

Report on same from 1949 KRRC Chronicle ...

The Rangers Memorial Chenies St  01.jpg

An interesting snippet describing the original unveiling ceremony of the memorial and stirring words from Gen. Sir Louis Bols ...

The Rangers Memorial Chenies St 03.jpg

Source: KRRC Association Journal 2006, p.43

Gen Bols is describing The Rangers' counter-attack from Monmouth Cottage on the Frezenburg Ridge on 08 May 1915 in Second Ypres.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Thanks, Mr B: as ever, most informative and interesting.

Is there a quiz later? :unsure:

Paxo's on in 5 mins, so I'm leaving keyboard for a mental work-out :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, your input has helped me and I shall find out who is the nice person at Camden who may be able to help. I may also contact the current Territorial Army and Royal British Legion in the Bloomsbury area.

I will let you know what progresses. The garden of remembrance at Westminster Abbey does not have many attendees in the Rangers London Regiment section.

Not many relatives remaining I imagine.

I have seen the graves of my two cousins in Neuville-Vitasse. They are well tended in a very pleasant cemetary. 

I suppose the memorials will all fade away in time and the memory with us.

I will be in touch.

Thanks

David

Dear Friends,

I have had a positive reply from the local Councillor at Camden.

This area of Bloosbury has been earmarked for alteration to the benefit of all.

I understand that the modifications to the area will be of benefit to all who may live, work or just pass by.

I look forward to seeing the result which should put the Rangers in pride of place in Chenies Street or nearby.

On another matter I have found a Roll of Honour which lists my cousin Edward Tompkins and his Pals.

I shall pay my own tribute to him soon when I visit his local parish Church.

I had previously thought this may have been lost to the german bombing in WW2.

Best Wishes

David

Vimy Ridge and Arras Battle commemorations 8th and 9th April 2017.

In particular Scottish Regiments in Edinburgh.