Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Antoon Verschoot -Last Post Menin Gate

cdr

Thank you Antoine for years of "Remembrance"... I think he deserves some form posthumous recognition from our "Royalty" for his Services at the Menin Gate. If sportsmen, popstars (still wet behind the ears) and civil servants who were being paid to do their job get recognition. what value do we place on "real" service.

R.I.P. Antoine

Tom

Edited by towisuk

It was a Monument here in Ypres. More than 15000 times Antoon was playing the Last Post at the Menin Gate trough his career of 60 years.  R.I.P. Antoon we will miss you.

He was a great man, and a great Ambassador for his city and country. I gather he also enjoyed a smoke and a drink. He did have recognition from the UK ;he was an Honorary MBE.

Edited by sassenach

Just had a message pop up on Face book that long time Ypres, Last Post player Antoon Verschoot passed away yesterday.

Thank you, Antoon, for your many years of devoted service.

91 years old ... 15,000 Last Posts ... 61 years ...

It was good to see that the news was and is in all our media, not only local but also Flemish TV.

Antoon will 'hear' his Last Post for the last time, sounded by his "klaroenermatjes" (bugler pals) in St Martin's cathedral Thursday next week, 10:30.

Aurel

I saw this on Twitter.  What a servant to the memory of all the pals.  Rest in peace Antoon.

Roger

A stalwart and real character - a fine bugler as well. RIP Anton

18 hours ago, sassenach said:

I gather he also enjoyed a smoke and a drink. He did have recognition from the UK ;he was an Honorary MBE.

He certainly liked a smoke and a drink and fully deserved his Honorary MBE. RIP Anton.

• spof changed the title to Antoine Verschoot -Last Post Menin Gate
On 2/2/2017 at 09:19, Aurel Sercu said:

91 years old ... 15,000 Last Posts ... 61 years ...

It was good to see that the news was and is in all our media, not only local but also Flemish TV.

Antoon will 'hear' his Last Post for the last time, sounded by his "klaroenermatjes" (bugler pals) in St Martin's cathedral Thursday next week, 10:30.

Aurel

Aurel, I am sure that Thursday will be a solemn day in Ypres. If it were possible for you to post any pictures or video/tv footage I am sure many of us would be very grateful. 

Sassenach,

I can't be there myself on Thursday, but I'm sure I'll be able to give a link if it is on our (local) TV, or to photos somewhere else.

Aurel

This is the tribute paid by the Last Post Association:

"Former bugler Antoon Verschoot dies at the age of 91

On Wednesday, 1 February2017, Antoon Verschoot passed away in Ieper at the age of 91 years. Antoon was a bugler of the Last Post Association from 1954 until December 2015. For more than 61 years, he played the Last Post each evening with his colleagues under the Menin Gate in honour of the memory of the soldiers who died in Flanders during the First World War.

More than 61 years

DSC_6141(1).JPG

From 1954 to December 2015, Antoon Verschoot was a bugler of the Last Post Association. Together with his colleague-buglers, he played the Last Post some 15,000 times under the Menin Gate. Come rain or shine, he was always faithfully at his post at 8 o’clock each evening, from Monday to Sunday. Even during the weeks when he was not on duty, he still often came to support his fellow buglers and pay his respects to those who died for our freedom.

During his many years of dedicated service, he met many of the crowned heads of Europe: the British Queen Elizabeth, King Boudewijn and Queen Fabiola, King Albert and Queen Paola, King Filip and  Queen Mathilde, Queen Beatrice of the Netherlands and many other princes and princesses from home and abroad. In addition, he was also introduced to many of the world’s great civil and religious leaders, including Pope John Paul II, Mother Theresa, Bob Geldof and many prime ministers and minsters from all around the globe. But no matter who he met, he was always ready with a smile and a few friendly words, before happily posing with them for the inevitable photograph. Everyone wanted to be in the picture with ‘Tone’, as he was universally known.

Dedicated devotion to duty

Honorary Chairman Guy Gruwez and Chairman Benoit Mottrie have both testified to his great dedication: “With his many years of commitment to the Last Post Association, Antoon was an unparalleled example of devotion to duty. He was always good-humoured and ready for a laugh and a joke, but when the clock on the Cloth Hall struck eight he was equally ready to perform his duty with the dignity and seriousness he always demanded of himself and the others in his team. With the passing of Antoon Verschoot, the Last Post Association has lost one of its leading figures. We owe an enormous debt of gratitude to Antoon and to his past and present colleagues. Our thoughts are in the first  instance with his widow, Suzanne, his children, his grandchildren and his family. They have always supported Antoon throughout his many years of devoted service to the Last Post Association.”

This outstanding record was recognized with the award of various national and international decorations, including the British MBE and the Order of Australia. He was also a Knight in the Order of the Crown (Belgium)."

To answer Mr Drill's question "91 ? He must have been born before The Gate was built ?": Antoon was born on 19th June 1925, and the Menin Gate was unveiled on 24th July 1927, so yes, at two years of age,he was. The first "Last Post" ceremony was on 2nd July 1928, when he'd have been three years of age. I wonder whether he thought as a young boy that he's be such an important part of that ceremony in later life?

I met him a couple of times, although I didn't know him well; he will be missed. RIP, Antoon.

There will be nearly 55,000 British and Empire soldiers waiting on the other side to shake his hand.

Ron

I saw him play many times and really appreciate his and others dedication, thank you so much.

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

There will be nearly 55,000 British and Empire soldiers waiting on the other side to shake his hand.

Ron

Nicely put.

On 06/02/2017 at 17:51, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

Ron, a lovely sentiment; I'm with Mr Drill on this one. Rest easy Antoon.

Pete.

Thanks for the link Aurel, it looks like Antoon had a fine and fitting sendoff.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls