Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Group of sailors from HMS Vivid

Maritime17

Zoe - You might want to start a separate thread, providing whatever information you know (name, date of birth, home town), so that people are better placed to assist you.

For your information, HMS Vivid was the Royal Naval Barracks in Plymouth (now known as HMS Drake), so there were many hundreds of Stokers that passed through (Vivid II).

As a first step, try searching for his service history online from The National Archive https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - it may be available to download (for free, if you register).

MB

PS Also, welcome to the forum - h2 pipped me to the post!

Edited by KizmeRD

11 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Welcome to the GWF, He was just one of many hundreds of stokers who passed through VIVID. If you have a question about him, give us his name and number.

Thanks, I’m beginning to see that. He was k46242 Joseph H Hosking

10 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Zoe - You might want to start a separate thread, providing whatever information you know (name, date of birth, home town), so that people are better placed to assist you.

For your information, HMS Vivid was the Royal Naval Barracks in Plymouth (now known as HMS Drake), so there were many hundreds of Stokers that passed through (Vivid II).

As a first step, try searching for his service history online from The National Archive https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - it may be available to download (for free, if you register).

MB

PS Also, welcome to the forum - h2 pipped me to the post!

Thank you, will do x

Joseph Henry Hosking, Stoker, K46242.

Born Bodmin 1899

Served in the Royal navy during the last year of the war. Two seagoing drafts HMS Crysanthemum (Sloop) and HMS Benbow (battleship). Demobed in summer of 1919.

MB

10 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Joseph Henry Hosking, Stoker, K46242.

Born Bodmin 1899

Served in the Royal navy during the last year of the war. Two seagoing drafts HMS Crysanthemum (Sloop) and HMS Benbow (battleship). Demobed in summer of 1919.

MB

Thank you so much, that’s about what I’ve found so far, trying to find more about him, thank you x

• 6 months later...

In respect of your great grandfather being associated with HMS Vivid as an Accounting Base, for the purposes of the Naval Discipline Act 1866, you may find the following threads of interest.

It helps to understand the concept of the "stone frigate" right from the outset, when it comes to trying to make sense of what is in essence a cross between a timesheet and a payroll.

Ship as Accounting Base

If you read this very thread from the start, and pay particular attention to the post made on 30 January 2017, it should give you a better understanding

• 8 months later...
On 29/01/2017 at 22:11, Maritime17 said:

Hello,

I have this photo of my Grandfather. The hat bands read HMS Vivid. His record shows he was at HMS Vivid 4 times.

25 July 12 to 24 Sept 12   Rating Boy 1

14 Jan 17 to 9 March 17   Rating Able Seaman

13 July 18 to 12 Aug 18    Rating Able Seaman

1  Apr 20 to  14 May 20    Leading Seaman

I am presuming the photo was taken between 1917 and 1920.

Does any one have any relatives who was at HMS Vivid during those dates? It would be interesting to try and identify the sailors and try and get the correct date.

My Grandfather Thomas Neil Davis is the middle chap in the bottom row.

Many thanks,

Sam

10.jpg

Hi Sam...only just seen this photo.....been searching for any info regarding my grandad.....he was at  Vivid during these times.....and altho I don't have any photos of him I'm seeing a good family resemblance  to the sailor standing second on the right.......might be wishful  thinking, but I know he wasn't very tall either...thanks for posting