Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt A. F. Reilly of the Zhob Militia

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWFs,

Arthur Frederick Reilly (‘Adjutant, Cavalry, Zhob Militia’) had joined the IARO in 1916, and was qualified in Pushto and Hindustani. Reilly had previously been ‘Assistant Superintendent of Frontier Police’ and was attached Zhob Militia on 17 December 1916.

He played an important part on 30 May 1919, leading a rescue effort in the final stages of Major Russell’s much-quoted withdrawal with the still-loyal remnants of his South Waziristan Militia, when Russell ordered Reilly’s Zhob Militia to make a stand.

Most unfortunately, Capt Reilly lost his life in the final action, when pinned under his mortally wounded horse. Russell was subsequently awarded the DSO, but Reilly got nothing…

Does anyone have an Image of the gallant and capable Capt A. F. Reilly, IARO...?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear GWFs,

I hold the medals (sans his KPM GVIR) of Lieut G. A. Swift, IARO (later IP), a colleague of the unfortunate Capt A. F. Reilly - both Zhob Militia. 

The fine CIE, DSO group of medals to Major Russell of the South Waziristan Militia are held by the National Army Museum. These were generously donated by his son...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

G. A. Swift, Zhob Militia, Indian Police.JPG

Maj Guy Russell, SW Militia.jpg

Swift 1919 Zhob.jpg

• 1 year later...

Dear Kim

i came across your post on Captain A F Reilly via Google, so joined this website so I can reply. Arthur Frederick Reilly, affectionately known as "Tet" was the older brother of my husband's grandfather. I know a lot about his ancestry and his surviving siblings as genealogy is a hobby of mine. I knew about the engagement in which he was killed, but had not seen details of his service dates before. He was born in India as many of his siblings were. i see the Raj is an interest of yours so you might be interested to know that Arthur's grandfather was Professor Calcott Reilly, from 1871 head of the Royal Indian Engineering College at Coopers Hill, Surrey. All his 5 sons became engineers and trained at the college. At least 2 of them then deployed to India to work on building the railways. There is a type of gate called a Reilly gate in the Indian railway network. The highest award at one of the engineering colleges in modern India is still called the Calcott Reilly Medal. Arthur's father Frederick Reilly was one of the sons who went to India, where he and his wife raised several children. Once back in the UK, Frederick retired to pursue a second career as an artist. He worked in oils and painted several good portraits including one of General Taylor of the RIEC. Money became tight and Fred took one last hurrah job as an engineer in what is now Guyana, South America - he caught Malaria and died on the voyage home and was buried at sea 1905. Arthur returned to India and died in action in Waziristan. He left what he had in his will for the education of his youngest brother Noel, my husband's grandfather. Thanks to this legacy Noel's widowed mother was able to send him to Merchant Taylor's School and he eventually ended up at Cambridge and had an illustrious career in public Service (including the Ministry of Information '39-'45) and the World Bank. He was always grateful to Tet for this start in life.

I have several photos of Tet as a young man but they are currently in storage. When I get my hands on my files again I would be pleased to send you a good picture of him. Additionally, though I cannot find the reference online today I do remember that Tet's colleagues regretted his not being awarded a decoration for his part in the action in which he died and they clubbed together to put up a window in a chapel in his honour somewhere. If I remember where or can find the reference I will forward.

Thank you for including the picture of Colonel Russell's medals. Moving to see those. Tet was in all our thoughts this past weekend. I don't know the whereabouts of any medals he may have had. Possibly with descendants of his older brother who i know of but we are not properly in touch. I love your description of him as gallant and capable. That is just how I picture him too.

Kind regards,

Clarissa

Dear Clarissa,

I was thrilled to bits to read all about the indeed gallant and capable Arthur Reilly. Oftentimes there were only a certain number of decorations to be distributed, and those who were Killed in Action were usually left out, anyway. However, one would have thought that he was due at least a Mentioned in Despatches.

Tantalizing to know that photos exist of "Tet" Reilly...

I attach a picture of "Tet's" fellow Zhob Militia officer, G. A. Swift (later KPM and Indian Police), whose medals I hold. A. F. Reilly was also Indian Police, pre-1914, I believe.

Kindest regards,

Kim.1407888135_2LtG.A.Swift1916ScannedbyDerekGWF.jpg.679f8ff83483567aa9ed728ea44a0272.jpg 

• 4 years later...
On 12/11/2018 at 15:09, Guest said:

Dear Kim

i came across your post on Captain A F Reilly via Google, so joined this website so I can reply. Arthur Frederick Reilly, affectionately known as "Tet" was the older brother of my husband's grandfather. I know a lot about his ancestry and his surviving siblings as genealogy is a hobby of mine. I knew about the engagement in which he was killed, but had not seen details of his service dates before. He was born in India as many of his siblings were. i see the Raj is an interest of yours so you might be interested to know that Arthur's grandfather was Professor Calcott Reilly, from 1871 head of the Royal Indian Engineering College at Coopers Hill, Surrey. All his 5 sons became engineers and trained at the college. At least 2 of them then deployed to India to work on building the railways. There is a type of gate called a Reilly gate in the Indian railway network. The highest award at one of the engineering colleges in modern India is still called the Calcott Reilly Medal. Arthur's father Frederick Reilly was one of the sons who went to India, where he and his wife raised several children. Once back in the UK, Frederick retired to pursue a second career as an artist. He worked in oils and painted several good portraits including one of General Taylor of the RIEC. Money became tight and Fred took one last hurrah job as an engineer in what is now Guyana, South America - he caught Malaria and died on the voyage home and was buried at sea 1905. Arthur returned to India and died in action in Waziristan. He left what he had in his will for the education of his youngest brother Noel, my husband's grandfather. Thanks to this legacy Noel's widowed mother was able to send him to Merchant Taylor's School and he eventually ended up at Cambridge and had an illustrious career in public Service (including the Ministry of Information '39-'45) and the World Bank. He was always grateful to Tet for this start in life.

I have several photos of Tet as a young man but they are currently in storage. When I get my hands on my files again I would be pleased to send you a good picture of him. Additionally, though I cannot find the reference online today I do remember that Tet's colleagues regretted his not being awarded a decoration for his part in the action in which he died and they clubbed together to put up a window in a chapel in his honour somewhere. If I remember where or can find the reference I will forward.

Thank you for including the picture of Colonel Russell's medals. Moving to see those. Tet was in all our thoughts this past weekend. I don't know the whereabouts of any medals he may have had. Possibly with descendants of his older brother who i know of but we are not properly in touch. I love your description of him as gallant and capable. That is just how I picture him too.

Kind regards,

Clarissa

Clarissa,

C.O.C. Reilly was my great-grandfather, and Tet my great-uncle! I don't know what that makes your husband to me exactly, but some sort of relative!
I'd very much like to be in touch with you. 

Naomi  

Edited by Naomi

1 hour ago, Naomi said:

Clarissa,

C.O.C. Reilly was my great-grandfather, and Tet my great-uncle! I don't know what that makes your husband to me exactly, but some sort of relative!
I'd very much like to be in touch with you. 

Naomi  

Unfortunately Clarissa is no longer a member of the forum Naomi, so she won’t see your message.  Your only chance really is if @Kimberley John Lindsay still has her contact details.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dear Naomi,

Thanks also to Frogsmile for quasi re-connecting.

Sadly, all I have to say about the Zhob Militia and the late Capt Reilly has been stated above.

Equally unfortunate is the fact that Clarissa (funnily enough also the name of our daughter!), did not subsequently contact me. This is doubly unfortunate, because I would have liked to have put Capt Arthur "Tet" Reilly "On The Map", quite apart from seeking his elusive Image. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

As a quasi Afterthought I attach a scan of the erstwhile Zhob Militia and Indian Police wallah, G. A. Swift, and his medals.

The framed group resides in my Den (ehemals Kinderzimmer) at Hemmingen, near Stuttgart.  It is one of my so-called Keeper Groups of the Great War.

Additionally, scans of  pertinent research, which may well be of general interest to GWF members.Swift_KPM_small.jpg.11d268ac66508516d5e029ccbc084cd9.jpg1GarrBnScannedbyDerekGWF.jpg.6c63db2513225bc378a77372f59d6962.jpg2LtG.A.Swift1916ScannedbyDerekGWF.jpg.8ce47c2876125eb31c72d0f8c264695a.jpgApr1921IAListZhobMilitia.jpg.a30c3aa8ffd7cf22ed283bff5dd0b591.jpgKPMminisalaSuptG.A.Swift.jpg.a28e9cf659f669b3ad87b71b7f7ea45e.jpgKPMgrouptoG.A.Swift.jpg.4708110ecd5de46f6e6675a29fb87e15.jpgMICSwiftObverse.jpg.e326309e8a14ae54cb2c7e8b784dbb1d.jpgMICSwiftReverse(1).jpg.e229e94768ab985a1d07e3467979084a.jpgSwiftIPService1920-40.jpg.b6983c21d1070f583a8297ba2b882792.jpgKPMgrouptoG.A.Swift.jpg.4708110ecd5de46f6e6675a29fb87e15.jpgLtGilbertatZhob.jpg.603f833f13aecbf9905615350530c111.jpgSwiftIPService1920-40.jpg.b6983c21d1070f583a8297ba2b882792.jpgSwiftsignature1925andwarrecord.jpg.b3931b1a0d236a5f38a63214a6bd10d0.jpgZhob1919.jpg.b9178eb1652f3d6ad97f42f9d7606a15.jpgZhobMilitia1921viaBrigN.L_StP.BunburyDSO1937.jpg.49702720028c048561ed4eef6953f5bc.jpgZhobMilitialogo.jpg.877cbe4152a2894add6d8b78ff7ada9c.jpg

Any further input would be more than welcome, needless to say! Thanks Naomi: I have just seen your welcome response! The Zhob wallahs pictured are not identified, as is so often the case.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

There's a few A.F Reilly's on Ancestry

One of them has a few documents of interest which I will beam if still of interest. 
One lists that he was a Temporary Captain, 'I.A.R.O, 32nd Lancers & Zhob Militia'

Zidane.

Dear All, and Naomi,

I found three London Gazette entries for Arthur Frederick Reilly (who came from the Indian Police, I believe). These concerned his joining the Indian Army Reserve of Officers (IARO), and subsequent promotions in rank:

The London Gazette of 1 December 1916, pages 11746 and 11747:  The KING has approved the admission of the undermentioned gentlemen to the Indian Army Reserve of Officers:- To be Second Lieutenants, CAVALRY BRANCH. Dated 14 August 1916. Arthur Frederick Reilly (and eleven others).

The London Gazette of 25 January 1918, pages 1232 and 1233: INDIAN ARMY RESERVE OF OFFICERS. Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants. Dated 14 August 1917 (and 28 others with the same date of seniority).

The London Gazette of 5 November 1918, page 13067: INDIAN ARMY RESERVE OF OFFICERS. Lieutenants to be temporary Captains. A. F. Reilly. 14 August 1917 (and six others of differing seniority).

Meanwhile Zidane has cleverly discovered the A. F. Reilly connection to 32nd Lancers, as well as Zhob Militia.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Zidane,

32nd Lancers: Super find!

Yes, please beam these A. F. Reilly documents.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

35 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Zidane,

32nd Lancers: Super find!

Yes, please beam these A. F. Reilly documents.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

3a672cbc-c1e7-4108-8ff7-2a486d17451a.png.ff7ce6794137fe9a09c8dc8909a02930.png12aa41c4-dec3-43ee-a2f6-a9a4bbb4bbd4.png.f1e197bd2ba930849b4e750b2c5a47f9.png23918dbb-0946-4a11-b9e9-bff6e115c76c.png.163660ea33cd9d6ea469016818489d77.png

bd47c939-0311-4b32-9deb-9b1c2ee28a22.png.5b5a35ef250e05b4e2e0c3b9e9689f62.png

Dear Zidane,

Many thanks for the papers winding up the affairs of the awfully unlucky ex-IP and IARO, Arthur Reilly.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

This rather looks like Arthur in the 1901 England and Wales census, living with his parents and siblings in Pinner, Middlesex.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X96S-N9X

And in the same location in the 1911 census, now living with his widowed mother and several younger and older siblings. Interestingly at least two of his younger siblings appear to have been born in Paris, France.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW4C-TFH

Given his stated ages in both censuses he would have been aged around 25 or 26 when he was killed.

Yes that's him. He was my great-uncle, and you're spot on, his two sisters were born in Paris. Both parents were artists and it looks like they led very different lives to the norm!

Dear Naomi,

What a super portrait. Many thanks!

Doubly sad that such a fine young man was killed in one of the few actions of the brief Third Afghan campaign. 

One indeed wonders what happened to his posthumously-awarded medals?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I thought that you might be interested to learn that the Zhob Militia still exists as part of Pakistan’s Frontier Force.  The Pakistan government has also refurbished the site of Fort Sandeman and built over its ruins a new building with the visual appearance of the old one.  It contains an officers’ mess and a museum that is open to visitors.  See:https://www.dailyparliamenttimes.com/2020/12/21/balochistan-govt-restores-the-historic-sandeman-castle-in-zhob/

IMG_0492.jpeg

IMG_0493.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

IMG_0495.jpeg

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dear Frogsmile,

Super! Your welcome input will find it's way into my G. A. Swift cyber file. Many thanks!

Clearly the medals of any erstwhile Zhob Militia wallah would not go amiss in the impressive Museum. No doubt others will emerge on the medal market in due course...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

11 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Frogsmile,

Super! Your welcome input will find it's way into my G. A. Swift cyber file. Many thanks!

Clearly the medals of any erstwhile Zhob Militia wallah would not go amiss in the impressive Museum. No doubt others will emerge on the medal market in due course...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I’ve always been impressed by everything that I’ve read about the officers who were seconded to the NWF Militias.  They were very carefully selected, as they needed to be above average linguists, and would not have the benefit of British warrant officers and SNCOs, nor usually long-serving native regular equivalents.  They had to command their men (essentially native auxiliaries) by the sheer strength of their personalities, and could not afford to be shrinking violets.  The slightest weakness would be pounced upon by their irregular NCOs and the local native auxiliaries from amongst whom they were selected.  Many of their militiamen had siblings and other family members on the side of their oftentimes enemies, the fractious local tribes of Pathans, Hazaras and other ethnic groups.

Although usually loyal, it only needed something that upset their religious and tribal sensibilities to cause the native militia to mutiny and on several occasions the units fractured, with some men going violently awry, and some staying loyal depending upon their individual opinions concerning the casus belli.  Some of them fought to the death [quite literally] for their officers, while others quite determinedly murdered them.  It was by all accounts very unpredictable.  As a result of these peculiar demands upon the officers stationed in the hill forts, each of which was in essence a patrol base from which the local area was watched and policed, the young men concerned were invariably physically tough, commonly keen sportsmen in their earlier lives, and very often above the norm intellectually, when compared with their contemporaries in British and British-Indian regular units.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dear Frogsmile,

Judging on my research concerning an erstwhile Mekran Levy Corps officer (later the Last Resident in Waziristan. Lt-Col V. M. H. Cox, picturedLtColVMHCox.jpg.786e75804a1076882fe0c90fbfe5ece4.jpgLt-ColCoxtoCaptFrankLeeson.jpg.91ca872ba1c5d43bb58e85b8287b2fad.jpgUncleAntiqueemail.jpg.4e4802ee0d602d17fffafe29a541108c.jpg), and the aforementioned G. A. Swift (who later achieved high rank in the IP), your assessment is spot-on.

Swift, late Zhob Militia, was awarded an "End of Raj" KPM at the end of British rule. He had previously - as had Cox - been awarded both the 1935 Jubilee Medal and the 1937 Coronation Medal, for example.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

2 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear Frogsmile,

Judging on my research concerning an erstwhile Mekran Levy Corps officer (later the Last Resident in Waziristan. Lt-Col V. M. H. Cox, picturedLtColVMHCox.jpg.786e75804a1076882fe0c90fbfe5ece4.jpgLt-ColCoxtoCaptFrankLeeson.jpg.91ca872ba1c5d43bb58e85b8287b2fad.jpgUncleAntiqueemail.jpg.4e4802ee0d602d17fffafe29a541108c.jpg), and the aforementioned G. A. Swift (who later achieved high rank in the IP), your assessment is spot-on.

Swift, late Zhob Militia, was awarded an "End of Raj" KPM at the end of British rule. He had previously - as had Cox - been awarded both the 1935 Jubilee Medal and the 1937 Coronation Medal, for example.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Such men were the finest of their kind and I don’t think we see many like them in the Armed Forces of today.  The world has moved on and Britain no longer has the same influence.

Dear Frogsmile,

Quite. Indeed. Apart from mutual Military Service (Swift was rapidly commissioned from the Ranks, but Cox had passed out of RMC Sandhurst), such men were oftentimes 'Good at all Sports' (an assessment on Cox's record).

Although Vernon Maurice Hervalwil 26May1926AucklandNZ.jpg.69fff9126e3070b19f019671b6c2c1c2.jpg7Album2CoxandPoloE.jpeg.95c86357378cf285f97ca5902798ef3f.jpeg106Album2DetailCoxhorsesmod.jpg.7aad515126822f9a63095efaedc77abc.jpgCaptCox1929inNewDelhi.jpg.e94a3d2a13d4e36e50bfc3149d63d848.jpgLtCoxMepotJan1919.jpg.acc7eac50313166d483958f8dca63fab.jpgLieutCoxAug1919ThalNWFP.jpg.ae1ba1d0d33395ecb07955d38f67d917.jpg40Album1Coxtennisdetail.jpg.6f2e5ad6c2c81ef56761bc0d9713f6a6.jpgCox later suffered by 'not having attended a British Public School' (according to "Skrino" Skrine, ICS), having been born and educated in India - with a brief "finishing" at Blackrock College, Dublin in 1916 - he was popular in the Regiment (90 Punjabis), being good at Polo and 'playing Hockey with the men'.

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Dear Kim,

I found Reilly in the July 1918 List [which you stated you were unable to find].

There is no connection to the 32 Lancers that I could find except on the document in an above post. I checked the January 1916 lists to find no mention of him

January 1917 however states that 'Reilly, Arthur Frederick' was commissioned into the IARO on August 14th, 1916 as a Second Lieutenant and was in the IARO Cavalry. 

July 1917 still has him as a Second Lieutenant in the IARO Cavalry.

Zidane.

2015.284989.Indian-Army_0231.jpg.2875c5a48a5888199993acd79af9e5e1.jpg

image.jpeg.56bb1c17f4088f358825091dd38ec214.jpeg