Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barracks Challenge - 1911 Census

England now complete. Chelsea barrracks found in London, St George Hannover Square, Belgrave, 32-37 starts on page 2 for 1st Bn Irish Guards and with a long interval of the Royal Household and thousands of staff, the 2nd Bn Scots Guards appear on page 405. The ADjutant also wrote a rather useful summary on page 477.

MG

It will be interesting to see India. Ancestry stripped out the cover pages a year ago and mussed up the sequence. Having indexed it once, the work became redundant immediately they decided to trip the pages. 

Above quote from previous page.

The census for Army personnel in India seems incomplete.I am aware of individual soldiers not being included, and I have the feeling that there are Regiments missing too, although I can't quote examples.

Cheers

Maureen

Just tripped this up on TNA Discovery, while looking for something else unrelated.    Notice that (By chance?) a search on "RG14/"  throws up a number of British Army odds-and-sods all over the place-mostly non- mainstream regular regiments- they seem to come out at the top of the listing but must be more buried away. Thought I would mention it before I lose the ref. again, so apologies if already very well-known to you. OK,its not England but you will get round to the others.

RG 14/34993

Potchefstroom, Cantonments, 12th Royal Lancers. Potchefstroom, 12th Royal Lancers. West Coast of Africa, Sierra Leone,...

General Register Office: 1911 Census Schedules. Military. , Potchefstroom, 10 & 11 Sections Army Veterinary Corps. Transvaal, South Africa, Potchefstroom, Royal Engineers including 2nd Field Troop, RE & Establishment for Engineer Services. Transvaal, South Africa

Here is a summary table of what I have managed to cobble together with the help of the GWF members on this thread. The County, Registration District (RD), Sub Registration District (SRD), Enumeration District (ED) and page number all relate to how the files are laid out within the 1911 Census in Ancestry.co.uk. The aim is to make it easy to locate these units within Ancestry. 

The is provides the first page for any given unit. If the unit had a detachment elsewhere this is also given. Please note that most units would have had men in scattered within HQs, Hospitals, Depots etc which are not shown. This index should cover 90% of the men serving in the infantry and cavalry units at the time. There are 57 Infantry Battalions in 59 locations and 8 Cavalry regiments in 9 locations. As I locate more this list will be expanded. 

1911 Census - Location of Military Units in England and Wales by County, Registration District, Sub-Registration District, Enumeration District.

1911 Census Index UK-003.jpg

Edited by Guest

I appear to have lost the 1st Bn Scots Guards. Edit. Found them in Egypt. 

I have the 2nd Battalion in Chelsea Barracks, but cant locate the 1st Battalion anywhere. There are aroud 100 Scots Gaurdsmen at the Depot in Caterham, Surrey. Does anyone know where the Scots Guards were in April 1911?

Edit. At some stage in 1911 the Battalion left for Egypt. I am trying to establish if this was before the Census.

Edited by Guest

57 minutes ago, QGE said:

I appear to have lost the 1st Bn Scots Guards.

I have the 2nd Battalion in Chelsea Barracks, but cant locate the 1st Battalion anywhere. There are aroud 100 Scots Gaurdsmen at the Depot in Caterham, Surrey. Does anyone know where the Scots Guards were in April 1911?

In the 1911 Harts Annual List they're at the Tower of London.

1912 edition has them in Cairo.

Wikipedia & Scots Guards website confirm they went out to Egypt during 1911 having taken part in the Sidney Street Siege in Jan 1911.

Scots Guards website states they were in Egypt for two years returning in January 1913, which could point to a departure early in 1911 before the Census date.

Edited by MBrockway
Updated

Hi,

3rd CG returned from Cairo March 1911 and were replaced by 1st Scots Guards.

Steve Y

• 2 weeks later...

MG

You are probably well aware of the Parliamentary Papers report into the Census for England and Wales, volume I: Area, Families or Seperate Occupiers and Population published in 1912. I mention this as tables 18 and 19 on page 593 give the breakdown by county of the total number of Military & Naval personnel respectively while table 20: Persons Enumerated in Military and Naval Barracks, Quarters, Hospitals etc in Urban Districts, Rural Districts and Civil Parishes on pages 594 to 603 gives the breakdown county areas. For example:

County: Surrey Rural District: Guildford Civil Parish: Pirbright No of Registration District: 33 Sub District: 1 Barracks: Pirbright Military Camp Officers and Men: 175 Other Inmates (Families, Servants, etc): Males: 11 Females: 1 Total: 175

There are similar reports for Ireland and Scotland.

Bootneck     

Edited by bootneck

3 hours ago, bootneck said:

MG

You are probably well aware of the Parliamentary Papers report into the Census for England and Wales, volume I: Area, Families or Seperate Occupiers and Population published in 1912. I mention this as tables 18 and 19 on page 593 give the breakdown by county of the total number of Military & Naval personnel respectively while table 20: Persons Enumerated in Military and Naval Barracks, Quarters, Hospitals etc in Urban Districts, Rural Districts and Civil Parishes on pages 594 to 603 gives the breakdown county areas. For example:

County: Surrey Rural District: Guildford Civil Parish: Pirbright No of Registration District: 33 Sub District: 1 Barracks: Pirbright Military Camp Officers and Men: 175 Other Inmates (Families, Servants, etc): Males: 11 Females: 1 Total: 175

There are similar reports for Ireland and Scotland.

Bootneck     

These are available on-line here:

1911 Census - Areas, families or separate occupiers, and population, England and Wales, Vol. I. Administrative areas. Table 20 Page 594

Tables 18 and 19 are on the preceding pages.

There is also a useful column giving the Registration District and Sub-district for each barracks, which should help with locating the detail records in the full census data.

Hampshire locations (including Aldershot and the Rifles Depot at Winchester) are listed under Southampton.

Great tip-off Bootneck

Edited by MBrockway

Thanks gents. It is particularly useful as it show the Registration Districts and the Enumeration Districts and sections which effectively is an index for the Ancestry website offerings..

Thank you. A great discovery. MG

• 1 year later...
On 16 November 2016 at 10:32, Ellis1918 said:

Hillsborough barracks , Sheffield were located at Penistone Road S6 backing on to Langsett Road.   Currently a Morrisons supermarket and shopping mall. 2nd battn KOYLI  were there in 1905.

Hillsbrough barracks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 years later...

A very useful thread that I had trouble locating in respect of the 1911 Census of England & Wales.

On 15/11/2016 at 19:46, westkent78 said:

I think you still need to look to Ireland, unfortunately in light of your current task of mapping birthplaces. The 1911 Irish census only has initials for most men, which wouldn't be a problem for you but unfortunately it doesn't list birthplace beyond country of birth.

If you can identify which battalions were over there then you'll be able to pair them off with the ones in India, England and Wales that you've already identified. I suspect you've already considered this.

2nd Royal Sussex (Curragh) and 1st Buffs (Portobello Barracks, Dublin), and at least one of the Essex Battalions which I ran across yesterday while trawling through the Curragh for 5th DG are over there. Must be quite a few other regular battalions dotted around.

I was able to find Gerald Richard Vivian Panton of the 2nd Royal Sussex, a while back. This link should work, hopefully:
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=transcript?id=IRE%2FC1911%2F3149200

The 1911 overseas military thread is a very useful resource.
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/196781-1911-census-for-military-overseas/

Is there an equivalent thread for those garrisons covered by the 1911 Scotland census?