Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of uniform and bages please. Soldier 2

Elaine.01944

On 14/11/2016 at 17:42, Elaine.01944 said:

Hi William - hit a biggish snag already!  This photo is thought to be Arthur Doran born 1897 in Hyde, Cheshire and died 1973.  However, this soldier is identified as Cheshire Regiment but looking on Ancestry I have found Uncle Arthurs medal card which says he was in the Army Service Corp.  T/364136.  I have not found any other info on Ancestry.

Elaine

I think that other people have made plenty of interesting suggestions: his medal card/medals would show the unit that he first served abroad with. It is completely conceivable Arthur Doran was recruited into the Cheshire Regiment (hence the proud photo), and then transferred to the Army Service Corps for some reason - a training injury, or an illness, or that he possessed a skill that caused him to be transferred before being sent abroad. Simply loads of men started in one unit, and arrived on the Western Front in a completely different one.

William

Thank you William.  I like your suggestion and regardless of what else I do it will be a priority to read up on The Cheshires.  I am just working my through an interesting book 'A Miners Battalion at War' by Mike Hall.  The reason I bought it was to follow up on Hyde men who I found serving in 18th Middlesex Regiment  - Miners Pals.  I am a beginner in Military history and had been searching for info my Grandad who served in RFA but was a Miner at the start of the war.  I havn't found any info on him but I have learned a great deal.  The single biggest lesson learned is that Army organisation was far from straightforward.  It would never have occurred to me to look for Hyde men in a Middlesex Regiment.  Its a can of worms this WW1 research!!

It would never have occurred to me to look for Hyde men in a Middlesex Regiment.  Its a can of worms this WW1 research!!

Men did not always have a choice of regiment and were sent where needed.

Elaine,

This has been asked before, but can we take it that you don't know where his medals are?

BillyH.

Hi Billy.  No I don't know where the medals are but they could be in Canada and I am making enquiries. 

Elaine