Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The true classics

David Filsell

54 minutes ago, other ranker said:

Thanks for the comments on my posting. I would be interested to know from others in regards to your comments above. Do collectors read the books they buy? I know it's a big ask if you are buying lots. I always have one on the go. I try to read an army one followed by an air one then a big wigs autobiography or it really does get 'samey'? I am reading Guy Chapman's "A Kind Of Survivor' at the moment. He worked in the publishing and printing business when a lot of our books were on the go, some interesting insights.

To be honest i got a bit bogged down (no pun intended) with reading Western Front infantry memoirs all the time , they all seem to merge into one eventually . So i began to read all my tank memoirs (apart from the one mentioned :D) , then P.OW memoirs and then my R.F.C ones , and then went on to read my Mesopotamia ones ( buying a few new ones along the way ) . Then got waylaid on to nurses and armoured cars on the Russian front  . I've still got loads i probably will never get around to reading but it's still a joy to have them .

1 hour ago, other ranker said:

Thanks for the comments on my posting. I would be interested to know from others in regards to your comments above. Do collectors read the books they buy? I know it's a big ask if you are buying lots. I always have one on the go. I try to read an army one followed by an air one then a big wigs autobiography or it really does get 'samey'? I am reading Guy Chapman's "A Kind Of Survivor' at the moment. He worked in the publishing and printing business when a lot of our books were on the go, some interesting insights.

I aim to read a little of every book I buy and then carry on if it grabs my attention. I often skip the training and making their way to the front bits which are generally much the same. I also read lots of other books not wanting to read about the War all the time. That’s the thing about being a collector - it often goes beyond the actual content!

2 minutes ago, Black Maria said:

. I've still got loads i probably will never get around to reading but it's still a joy to have them .

Couldn’t agree more.