Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The true classics

David Filsell

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 13:08, museumtom said:

Thank you Paul, Denis Winter it is! I have corrected it.

Henry Winter is the football correspondent in The Times

Glad we're keeping to one: if we allowed more there would be a dilution of quality.

Hervey Allen's 'Toward the Flame'.

Scott 

• 2 weeks later...

Only 17 classics chosen so far, plus 2 books chosen twice and 3 'illegals' , it doesn't seem many when one thinks of all the books that have been written on

the war in the last one hundred and two years.

"Salute of Guns" by Boyd 

St Pauls Bookshop in Stamford, Lincolnshire have a nice copy of 'Somme Harvest', for £45 on ABE. I have seen the book in the shop. I didn't buy it as I have copy already that belonged to Randolph Churchill!

12 hours ago, Black Maria said:

Only 17 classics chosen so far, plus 2 books chosen twice and 3 'illegals' , it doesn't seem many when one thinks of all the books that have been written on

the war in the last one hundred and two years.

Possibly because we're limited to one book per contributor. That and the fact that 'literature' isn't that interesting to many. I suspect many (all) contributors to this thread so far could quickly get the numbers up!

51 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Possibly because we're limited to one book per contributor. That and the fact that 'literature' isn't that interesting to many. I suspect many (all) contributors to this thread so far could quickly get the numbers up!

One suggstion per contributor distills it down to the essentials just nicely i think.

However to get more titles then perhaps a top 5 by each person will give a greater mix. Obviously the overlapping suggestions will show the real gems.

I've not read all that many to be honest, but the stand out for me is "Canon Fodder" by A. Stuart Dolden.

Edited by Derek Black

'All Quiet on the Western Front' by Erich Maria Remarque.

(Nearly said 'Goodbye to All That').

'Storm of Steel' by Ernst Junger at the recommendation of Chris Baker (the other by Chris was 'There's a devil in the drum' by J. Lucy thoroughly enjoyed both)

While I agree with your second choice, keith, I found Storm of Steel rather unpleasant. Probably a national culture thing.

'Four Years on the Western Front' by A Rifleman (Aubrey Smith).

Cheers Martin B

'At the war'. Lord Northcliffe. 

Published for the Red Cross & the Order of St John. 1916.

Some have called it a piece of propaganda, on behalf of the author. 

Quite by chance, my copy has dedications dated Christmas 1916 and May 1941 inside the front cover. Must have been given as a present to, firstly, a J H Waugh from a Mrs Stallard and, secondly, a Mr John Hall in 1941 from the executor of J H Waugh's estate. I have no idea of it's value. It cost me very little a few years ago.

8 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

We could indeed , well I suppose at least my post has regenerated the thread and we have another five to add to the list.

BM!

its certainly a fascinating list, and I have some buying to do. There are very few books here whose nomination I would dispute. It's been most interesting. Thanks for taking the trouble go respond team.

best regards

David

Edited by David Filsell

Luigi Albertini's "The Origins of the War of 1914." It's the classic that all subsequent war origins books try to live up to.

Edited by The Ibis

Very hard to choose, but I'll opt for 'The war the infantry knew' as well.

Only for the fact that it has already been chosen, I would have picked: 'The Price of Glory' as an absolute classic. But another favourite of mine is: 'The First Hundred Thousand: Being the Unofficial Chronicle of a Unit of "K (1)." 

Written by Ian Hay... the pen-name of Captain John Hay Beith of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, it was at the time reckoned to be one of the finest books to have come out of the great war. Mine is an original wartime copy. As a former soldier myself, much of the contents remind me very much of my own small arms training. If you have never read it, I can highly recommend it.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 09:43, burlington said:

'At the war'. Lord Northcliffe. 

Published for the Red Cross & the Order of St John. 1916.

Some have called it a piece of propaganda, on behalf of the author. 

Quite by chance, my copy has dedications dated Christmas 1916 and May 1941 inside the front cover. Must have been given as a present to, firstly, a J H Waugh from a Mrs Stallard and, secondly, a Mr John Hall in 1941 from the executor of J H Waugh's estate. I have no idea of it's value. It cost me very little a few years ago.

That's interesting ... that's one of my family names - do you have any more details of her, for example a location, please?

Thanks.