Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Mike for advising.

This database sounds like a transcription of the Finding Aid mentioned in the following topic, although no details are given on the Ancestry page as to the actual source.

Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

Maureen

The reference to the Open Government Licence suggests that is the case.  I've seen mention that the MoD records team were offering some sort of lookups at the recent Who Do You Think You Are Live  event recently

I have also posted in the original thread but yes it does come from the information supplied in response to my 2014 Freedom of Information request.

Best

Justin

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't see a figure.  Here's some examples

UK, Absent Voter Lists, 1918-1925, 1939

Bedfordshire
Birmingham
Dorset
London Borough of Hammersmith-Parliamentary division Fulham East and West. 1920
London Borough of Islington 1919 Autumn
London Borough of Lewisham  1918
London Borough of Southwark 1918
London Borough of Tower Hamlets - Bermondsay and Bethnal Green 1920
London Borough of Wandsworth 1918 1919
Tyne and Wear 1920 Autumn, 1920 Spring. 1921 Autumn 1921 Spring for example this has (34 pages)

30 minutes ago, Skipman said:

UK, Absent Voter Lists, 1918-1925, 1939

Frustratingly it seems to be under 'Census and Electoral Rolls', not 'Military' records and given the vagueness of Ancestry's search engine I can see problems.

Edit   seems to work in Military ! absent.JPG.3c4c21896ce5222b9ffffb9ebe083dd8.JPG

Edited by charlie962

The London Borough of Wandsworth AVLs are not complete sadly and do not cover Battersea as I discovered recently when trying to establish my GGF's RGA unit. Neither London Metropolitan Archive (who supplied this to Ancestry) or Wandsworth Heritage Services were aware that these no longer existed and don't know what happened to them. 😢

1 hour ago, PaddyO said:

The London Borough of Wandsworth AVLs are not complete sadly and do not cover Battersea as I discovered recently when trying to establish my GGF's RGA unit. Neither London Metropolitan Archive (who supplied this to Ancestry) or Wandsworth Heritage Services were aware that these no longer existed and don't know what happened to them. 😢

Have you tried the listing of electoral registers from the British Library?  (Seems to be the base for the new digitisation projects).  Or Surrey Record Centre??

It is a long shot but can pay off from time to time- try asking your local electoral registration office-which should be part of  your local LB Wandsworth services. It is just possible that they may hold older electoral registers for the area.

PS- Electoral Registers are held in extenso by the British Library but are not listed in it's online catalogue. There is a good online listing on the BL website:

Parliamentary Constituencies and their Registers Since 1832 (PDF format).]

This shows that the British Library does hold Battersea electoral registers for 1918.

Hope that helps

Mike

Edited by Guest

Thanks Mike, I did look through this list previously but am I reading it incorrectly? I see it listing Battersea under period of existence covering 1918 but not in BL Holdings for that year so I had assumed they don't have them?

Useful description too:

About UK, Absent Voter Lists, 1918-1925, 1939

The 1916 Representation of the People Act ruled that members of the armed forces should be listed in separate registers under the constituencies in which they normally lived. The Absent Voter Lists enabled servicemen and women to vote by proxy or by postal application, when away from home on active service. They record the civilian address of the absent voter, but more importantly they give service numbers and regimental details. Absent voter lists can be a valuable resource if you are trying to trace details of a First World War soldier. They often record the individual’s regiment, number and rank at the time, as well as his home address.

On 11/21/2017 at 08:27, PaddyO said:

Thanks Mike, I did look through this list previously but am I reading it incorrectly? I see it listing Battersea under period of existence covering 1918 but not in BL Holdings for that year so I had assumed they don't have them?

Yes, it's a nuisance that has misled me before-  having an online union catalogue-then tucking away in the small print that it does not contain electoral registers. You may be pleasantly surprised!!

Good hunting-   If you cannot get to BL, then I can at least get the Battersea registers for 1918 when I am next there and see if they have an AVL section

12 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Good hunting-   If you cannot get to BL, then I can at least get the Battersea registers for 1918 when I am next there and see if they have an AVL section

Thanks Mike that would be fantastic as its a bit too far for me.  If you're running ahead of schedule while you're there (😬 no worries if not) the soldier in question is Joseph Massey of 8 Sterndale Road. In the 1919 register (which LMA do keep for Battersea and is on Ancestry) that road is listed as Polling District A, No.1 Nine Elms Ward. I have checked with Lambeth Archive in case since the modern day Nine Elms area is mostly in their borough but they say (and Wandsworth do agree) that this road (now called Condell Rd) correctly falls with Wandsworth Borough.

Thanks for anything you ascertain if and when!