Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Also added on Ancestry is 'Scotland, Nursing Applications 1921-1945'

Despite the dates, details of Nurses service before 1921 is given.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks a lot, there's some interesting records on there.

Michael

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Fold 3 is an American site that Ancestry acquired - they did start putting some odd UK records on there but (not sure now) they were under the Fold 3 subscription and not Ancestry's.

Craig

Hi All

As a paid up member of Ancestry I decided to check out the UK British Army Court Marshall Registers 1803 - 1962 but i was very disappointed to find that they are only indexes and the information relating to them are still on paper form at the N.A. Where you have to pay again to gain access. Is Ancestry advertising for the N.A. Another example which I am not really happy about is this.Ancestry have a Medal Index Cards section but not all of them, some are still with the N.A. Do they share them out so you have to pay twice.

Regards Andy

The images for the army court martial records (or at least the one I looked at) are held on Fold3 - Ancestry of course obliged with the transcription of 'Gallipole'.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for advising Mike

A few comments.

The Ancestry page advises the first dataset is WO97 records, and the National Archives advises the WO97 records are to 1913, so it is unclear whether the Ancestry database contains additional records which are not specified, or whether the dataset is labelled incorrectly.

WO 97 records to 1913 are currently available on findmypast.

The Ancestry page advises the second dataset is WO116 records, which the National Archives advises are to 1913. As with the first dataset,  it is unclear whether the Ancestry database contains additional records which are not specified, or whether the dataset is labelled incorrectly.

WO 116 (for what appears to be WO 116/1-165 being Cavalry and Infantry Disability October 1715 to 1882 and Royal Artillery 1 November 1833 to 1893) are available as a free download from the National Archives as a Digital Microfilm.

I would be interested if anyone finds any WW1 records in these two datasets

Cheers

Maureen

Had a quick look at 'UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records, 1760-1920', despite the title, Ancestry go on to state they are from 'WO 97, Pieces 1278-4287 (various pieces within range)'.

WO97/1278 is Cavalry of the Line: Bris - Byw.  Discharge Papers 1855-1872

W097/4287 Bagster - Bailey F. Discharge Papers 1900-1913.

Arrangement of the records

• For the period 1760-1872, the documents are arranged alphabetically by name within regiment, including militia to 1854.
  • For the period 1873-1882, the documents are arranged alphabetically under cavalry, artillery, infantry and corps.
  • For the period 1883-1913, there are two alphabetical sequences for the entire army for discharge papers arranged by range of surname.

Which seems to imply they are not to 1920.

However, by putting 1915 in the Service Start Year in the Ancestry Search box produces a number of results.

Top of the list is 3112 Charles Abbott Gloucester Regt. He is in WO97/4232. Discharge Papers 1900-1913 Aaron - Abbott S.

The Findmypast record for 3112 Charles Abbott Gloucester Regt is also from WO97/4232 and it states that he was discharged 11/6/1915 after completing 255 days (enlistment = 29/9/1914).

The record is Army Form B. 268 Proceedings on Discharge.

11599 George Dickerson, Dorset Regiment is also in the Ancestry Chelsea records WO97/4689 (outside of the range stated by Ancestry) Discharge Papers Dickens - Dickin 1900-1913. FMP has the same TNA ref for his record with them. BUT, his record shows he attested 16/9/1914 was not discharged at all but was put into Class Z 30/1/1919.

He did have previous service though, KRRC 1883 - 1904 and has 1904 discharge papers. His Death Cert of a Pensioner is also in his file which says he was a pensioner of the KRRC, died 1950.

Not seeing his WWI service in WO363.

Also spotted in 'UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records, 1760-1920', Edwin Bodger who attested into South African Force in 1922. Also had previous service 1886-1907 when discharged. And continued in Natal Force until 1919 then re-attested 1922.

So, I guess if someone has previous service from which they were discharged if they also have WWI (or later) service this is included in their WO97 file.

Although that doesn't explain 3112 Charles Abbott Gloucester Regt, perhaps he's just a stray or he did have previous service which has been weeded?

TEW

I've just had an email from Ancestry saying that there is free access to the Fold 3 Commonwealth collection this weekend, from 11th to 13th November. This what they say -

Access to the records in the featured collections will be free from 11-13 November 2016. To view these records you will need to register for free with Fold3 with your name and email address. After the free access period ends, you will be able to view the records in the featured collections using an Ancestry.co.uk All Access membership

6 hours ago, Sepoy said:

They are available for free on Fold3 now!

Sepoy

And you can download the record as a complete document instead of having to download each page.

I struck lucky with the first record I came across - a 6th DLI man who had joined and transferred to the regulars pre-war. It's another 'missing' number I don't need to chase down now.

Craig

The WO 97 (Chelsea Pensioner) records have been on FindMyPast for some time.

41 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

The WO 97 (Chelsea Pensioner) records have been on FindMyPast for some time.

True

But they are a lot brighter and clearer on Fold3, I am glad they are free at the moment.

regards

Robert

Curious, both are drawn from the same set of master images.

Ancestry say the WO97 collection is; Original data: WO 97, Pieces 1278-4287 (various pieces within range)

WO97/1278 is 'Cavalry of the Line: Bris - Byw 1855-1872'. Have they actually missed out 1275-1277 Cavalry of the Line: Abb - Bri.

4287 is Bagster - Bailey F. 1900-1913: discharge papers, arranged by range of surname. (WO 97/4232-6322). Why do they say they stop at 4287?

I found one man on Fold3 index in WO97/4689 which is outside their suggested range. Perhaps they've just mis-titled the range.

Can't seem to find anywhere on FMP that gives the range of WO97 unless you look at the transcription.

TNA say that WO97/1 to 6383 is available on FMP which suggests they have more than Fold3.

TEW

52 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Why don't Ancestry just put these records on Ancestry seeing as they own Fold3?

Mike

I think it's simply just Money Mike.

Craig

9 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think it's simply just Money Mike.

Is it legal to charge for entry into a different part of the shop where you have to buy the goods?

Mike

Just now, Skipman said:

Is it legal to charge for entry into a different part of the shop where you have to buy the goods?

Mike

They'll say it's a separate 'sister site' to which they allow some access free of charge. Annoying though !

Craig

On 11 November 2016 at 21:19, David_Underdown said:

Curious, both are drawn from the same set of master images.

David, do you know anything about the WO 116 records which are now available on Ancestry/Fold3?  In particular, was any new filming done of records not previously available on microfilm, for which the original documents had to be consulted,  or are the Ancestry/Fold3 records taken from existing National Archives microfilms?

Cheers

Maureen

I don't know for sure I'm afraid, but I'm not aware of any new digitisation.