Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible Non Comm?

pat geary

Hi Pat

Just wondered if anything new has come to light over Sterling?

Reason for asking is that In From the Cold Project is currently checking the soldiers effects register and we've reached him. A quick Google looking for info brought us to this thread. Obviously we don't want to be duplicating your efforts.

John

I had a look but couldn't find much besides the medal roll and the census records referred to in the top post.

This looks like his birth record: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/a7d3701319726

Edited by PaulC78

• 4 years later...

I assume there was insufficient evidence to get Sterling commemorated? I can't see anything in the pension records that would help.

On 06/08/2016 at 23:55, Phil Wood said:

G Dry, 14533, Hampshire Regiment died (SER) 5 Mar 1916.  

FreeBMD had George Dry aged 50 died Newbury (Reg Dist) March Qtr 1916.

George Dry born 1866 enlisted in the Hampshire Regt in Oct 1884, served until 1889 (discharge following gsw to elbow).

1911 living in Basingstoke with wife, Edith & 6 children.

SER names wife as Edith and death date 5 Mar 1916 - after discharge (discharged Dec 1915, enlisted about Nov 1914 according to his gratuity. At least two of his many children settled in Newbury, which would explain his name on the memorial.

He is not on the CWGC roll - but it may be difficult (impossible?) to prove his death was due to his service as I can find no service or pension records relating to his WW1 service.

Pension card for George Dry states that he died from cancer of the tongue "com. on active service". Unfortunatley. I believe a full pension record would be needed to verify this, and I can only find what appears to be a pre-war service record on FMP.