Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE windage question

Canadian J

Thanks very much Chris for offering! I just realized I could, and will, switch out the spring from my other SMLE (a sporter with a cut barrel). I will tinker with it over the next few days and hopefully the other spring isn't worn as well. It'll be a good way to check if it is the spring, if so, I'll track down a replacement online! 

When taking a look at my pics of the rifling and depth of the cartridge, does the barrel seem worn out in your experienced opinions?

Thanks again to all of you!

- J

The only way to check barrel wear is with the correct gauges.  But it is subjective a barrel past the Military Standards like mine (Way past) still shoot well.  Muzzle Wear at the crown is worse than wear at the lead of the rifling.  303's were designed to shoot a 174gn Flat Base bullet.  not a boat tail I have found over the years that the original flat base bullets give better results in worn barrels.  (Something about more bearing surface in the rifling) 

a .307 Gauge should not enter the muzzle by more than .25 in 

a .308 Gauge must not enter the breech by more than .25 in (this is indicated when the screwed end of the gauge is .030in proud of the breech end of the barrel)

a. 301 Gauge should run the length of the barrel held vertically.  In WW2 this standard was lowered to .303 must run.  During the war skilled barrel straightness inspectors were in short supply (done by eye) so a special long plug gauge was used that would foul if the barrel was slightly bent.

Standards were varied depending on Unit, Field, Base Overhaul, So a rifle could pass Unit but on a Base Overhaul inspection fail and have new parts fitted.

Taken from the application of gauges and examination of Small arms and Machine Guns.

Thanks a lot 303Man for the info! I would have to assume my barrel would be past the Military Standards as well, judging by how deep my cartridge sits when fitted into the muzzle. The rounds I have been firing are flat based and not boat tails so that's good. 

I switched out the safety spring and it is much better, Thanks so much for the advice! All the best for now,

- J

It's worth checking that the Inner Band Screw and spring are present and tight - under the foreend just in front of the rearsight IIRC.