Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British POW in The Hague

roel22

• 7 years later...

On 03/05/2009 at 11:07, JimSmithson said:

The Hague agreement in 1917 was indeed for internment in Holland or Switzerland for those unwounded Officers and NCOs who had been prisoners for longer than 18 months - not less than NCO at this stage. Those deemed by the respective medical board to be wounded and unfit for service were to be directly repatriated to the home country. The 1916 repatriation may have been a one off before this agreement was signed.

Jim

9074 Sergeant Frederick John Goodger was taken prisoner, wounded, at the First Battle of Ypres, on 31 October 1914. He was transferred to internment in the Netherlands in Spring 1918. He appears on ICRC list R 51315 as a consequence. He was repatriated aboard SS Arbroath and arrived at Hull on 18 November 1918, as documented by ICRC list R 51903.

I daresay that a lot more of these mens details have come to light since the ICRC put their documents in the public domain during the WW1 centenary.

On 20/05/2016 at 17:30, roel22 said:

I also think Charlie 962 is correct. William Bruce's name is also on this list: he was a sailor, had been a POW in camp Ruhleben and was released to Holland in march 1918.

On 11/05/2009 at 17:31, centurion said:

There was a large release of sick and/or wounded prisoners to the Netherlands in July 1918 (and also I believe some civilian internees). If he was sick the Germans would have a motive for his release - one less unproductive mouth to feed (as they would see it). [snip]

I'm trying to collate a chronology of the internment process in Switzerland and the Netherlands and it's proving far from simple. I'll post any flashes of enlightenment as they come.

Further movements of POWs to the Netherlands; taken from the following thread