Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of the Somme 100 years - 1916-2016

Seadog

27246019974_1d0ed068c1_z.jpg

Munich Trench was occupied by the 51st (Highland) Division on the 15th November 1916; New Munich Trench was dug on the previous night by the 2/2nd Highland Field Company and a company of the 8th Royal Scots, and lengthened by the 8th Devons in December. The cemetery was made by the V Corps in the spring of 1917, when their units cleared the battlefield, and it was known also as V Corps Cemetery No.25. There are now nearly 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, almost 20 are unidentified. All fell in the period November 1916, or January 1917, and the majority belonged to the 10/11th, 16th or 17th Highland Light Infantry.

This 18 year old Second Lieutenant rests here

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/302099/MURRAY

To Any Dead Officer by Siegfried Sassoon (Last verse)

"Good-bye, old lad! Remember me to God,
And tell Him that our Politicians swear
They won't give in till Prussian Rule's been trod
Under the Heel of England... Are you there? ...
Yes ... and the War won't end for at least two years;
But we've got stacks of men... I'm blind with tears,
Staring into the dark. Cheerio!
I wish they'd killed you in a decent show".

Full poem

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/57218

Norman

Dear Norman,

Thanks for that. The inspiration for Siegfried Sassoon's 1917 poem "To Any Dead Officer" ('I wish they'd killed you in a decent show' - rather than 'Knocked over in a hopeless dud-attack') was an officer called 'little' Orme (E. L. Orme, 2nd Bn., Royal Welch Fusiliers).

I was somewhat reminded of a fragmentary letter my grandfather (then Capt William Frederic Lindsay, Coy Cdr 53rd Bn., A.I.F.) wrote from the Western Front: '... I was then ordered to push into the enemy trench, so I started off feeling very scared, but luckily for me the Hun went out as we came in, and we had the satisfaction of capturing the trench we had been pounding at all winter...' 'During the time I was away we made a further advance and had some scrapping, during which poor Harry Fair was killed...' 'I found the Battalion at Bancourt out for a spell - as we thought for a few months. We occupied the mornings at training and most of the afternoons at sports - and had Battalion sports for prizes on Anzac Day.' 'Lieutenant Lang, MC (one of the patrol leaders on 17 March) and myself, went for a walk over the old ground and found it very interesting. The country is looking beautiful now, and it is very strange to go over country you have left barren, desolate and a quagmire of mud, to find grass above our ankles and a profusion of buttercups and other wild flowers...' 'How I wish it were over and that we could get back to dear old Australia again.'

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Lieut WF Lindsay, France.jpg

I recently read that at the Somme the Germans had machine guns so large they needed a crew of 12. Is that true and could this huge gun be called a machine gun in the same category as a Vickers or Maxim?

Mike 

No idea about that but here is the British Machine Gun Corps.

27843986115_f25c461757_z.jpg

Commemorative plaque in Albert on the battlefield of the Somme.

Living history Vickers machine gun and crew Bristol - Andrew David Upton and Josh Cottrell

Relic Vickers in Pozieres Picardy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/27843986115/in/photostream/

Thanks for your latest post Kim which I am sure we all found very interesting, here is another extract from the poem which if I recall correctly was quoted in the superb BBC series "The Great War"

"You hated tours of trenches; you were proud

Of nothing more than having good years to spend;
Longed to get home and join the careless crowd
  Of chaps who work in peace with Time for friend.
That’s all washed out now. You’re beyond the wire:
  No earthly chance can send you crawling back;
You’ve finished with machine-gun fire—
  Knocked over in a hopeless dud-attack".

Norman

Dear Norman,

Both Siegfried Sassoon and William Frederic Lindsay survived the First War with MCs: the latter for a 'decent show' on 1 September 1918 (wounded).

Kindest regards,

Kim. 

Wounded 1918 Capt Lindsay.jpg

Excellent photos Kim, these were extremely brave men and how the heck did they cope with the appalling conditions, the sights, sounds and smells that must have lived with them forever. I make no excuses for posting this poem again which I find extremely moving:

14762114996_78312558ea_n.jpg

Artwork Minehead church August 2014

The Veteran

Mary Postgate Cole

We came upon him sitting in the sun
Blinded by war, and left. And past the fence
There came young soldiers from the Hand and Flower,
Asking advice of his experience.
And he said this, and that, and told them tales,
And all the nightmares of each empty head
Blew into air; then, hearing us beside,
"Poor chaps, how'd they know what it's like?" he said.
And we stood there, and watched him as he sat,
Turning his sockets where they went away,
Until it came to one of us to ask "And you're-how old?"
"Nineteen, the third of May."

One of the most emotive flags I have seen being sold during the war simply said "Blinded for You"

Norman

Dear Norman,

Yes, indeed. In the aforementioned 1 September 1918 action (a VC affair: Pte Currey, 53 Bn AIF), four young 53 Bn officers lost their lives; three of whom lie at the top of the hill in an adjacent cemetery.

Capt Lindsay survived the war, but died at the age of 59, in 1940 (Lieut,.Col. W. F. Lindsay, MC, ED).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Capt WF Lindsay ca. 1920.jpg

Kim and Steve I am very pleased that you and others are contributing such interesting images etc here. I did hope originally that by creating a general thread for the Somme centenary it would help members to post anything and everything about the battle whatever the connection was either in words or pictures and I am very grateful for the submissions so far and I look forward to many more as we get closer to the 1st July.

2055079506_b6b8cc7343_z.jpg

Lest We Forget

Keep up the good work

Norman.

Dear Norman,

Thank you for your kind words. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.

1937 Lt-Col Lindsay, MC. ED Investiture.jpg

Corporal Albert Fletcher awarded DCM for establishing and working a signal station for 40 hours on his own. He also rescued a wounded man.

Somme September 1916. 11th Lancashire Fusiliers.

(my wife's Grandfather)

Albert Fletcher LF DCM.jpg

A very BIG dud at Thiepval just imagine what it would have been like to be near this when it landed and drilled its way into the earth without exploding, a somewhat heart-stopping moment I would think!

3507583338_73ea1bd19d.jpg

That must have been a surprise and a treat to see the aircraft on the Somme Reg. Given that the weather will behave the fly-past of replicas at Thiepval on the 1st July 2016 should be well worth seeing. This one was at Bovington on the 4th August 2014.

14643058680_32c1746e89.jpg

Norman

15 hours ago, Seadog said:

That must have been a surprise and a treat to see the aircraft on the Somme Reg.

Yes it was Norman.  I could only manage a couple of quick (not very good) snaps when I was between the Wood and the Cemetery before it headed off towards Trones Wood.  You can just about see the markings on this one.

Regards.

RegDSC03025a.jpg

1361365762_2621a81e41_z.jpg

1371307573_fab38c9ed2_z.jpg

13756724603_2a45ecb1e1_z.jpg

Postcards of the village prior to 1st July 1916 and looking pretty knocked about even then. These were sent home by Tom Wiltshire of the 1/6th Gloucestershire Regiment part of the 48th South Midland Division who were stationed in the locality before taking their part in the battle further south. Hebuterne gave its name to a severe action fought by the French on the 10th-13th June 1915, in the "Second Battle of Artois". It was taken over by British troops from the French in the same summer, and it remained subject to shell fire during the Battles of the Somme. It was again the scene of fighting in March 1918, when the New Zealand Division held up the advancing enemy; and during the following summer it was partly in German hands. It was later "adopted" by the Borough of Evesham.

Tom Wiltshire Photo Album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/albums/72157601071707940

The South Midland Battle Honours Include

Battle of Albert
Battle of Bazentin
Battle of Pozieres
Battle of the Ancre

Norman

27817045762_9de19fdbd9_z.jpg

Wilfred Owen poem written following his experiences during the winter of 1916 on the Somme near Serre, he wrote to his Mother that...

-"I have suffered seventh hell. I have not been at the front. I have been in front of it. I held an advanced post, that is, a dugout in the middle of No Man's Land………."

"In the platoon on my left the sentries over the dug-out were blown to nothing. One of these poor fellows was my first servant whom I rejected. If I had kept him he would have lived, for servants don't do sentry duty. I kept my own sentries half way down the stairs during the more terrific bombardment. In spite of this one lad was blown down and, I'm afraid, blinded"

THE SENTRY

We'd found an old Boche dug-out, and he knew,
 And gave us hell, for shell on frantic shell
 Hammered on top, but never quite burst through.
 Rain, guttering down in waterfalls of slime
 Kept slush waist high, that rising hour by hour,
 Choked up the steps too thick with clay to climb.
 What murk of air remained stank old, and sour
 With fumes of whizz-bangs, and the smell of men
 Who'd lived there years, and left their curse in the den,
 If not their corpses. . . .
                         There we herded from the blast
 Of whizz-bangs, but one found our door at last.
 Buffeting eyes and breath, snuffing the candles.
 And thud! flump! thud! down the steep steps came thumping
 And splashing in the flood, deluging muck —
The sentry's body; then his rifle, handles
 Of old Boche bombs, and mud in ruck on ruck.
 We dredged him up, for killed, until he whined
 "O sir, my eyes — I'm blind — I'm blind, I'm blind!"
 Coaxing, I held a flame against his lids
 And said if he could see the least blurred light
 He was not blind; in time he'd get all right.
 "I can't," he sobbed. Eyeballs, huge-bulged like squids
 watch my dreams still; but I forgot him there
 In posting next for duty, and sending a scout
 To beg a stretcher somewhere, and floundering about
 To other posts under the shrieking air.

Those other wretches, how they bled and spewed,
 And one who would have drowned himself for good, —
I try not to remember these things now.
 Let dread hark back for one word only: how
 Half-listening to that sentry's moans and jumps,
 And the wild chattering of his broken teeth,
 Renewed most horribly whenever crumps
 Pummelled the roof and slogged the air beneath —
Through the dense din, I say, we heard him shout
 "I see your lights!" But ours had long died out.

Norman

27307570184_bcbd86569e_c.jpg

SERRE

When you see millions
of the mouthless dead

When you see millions of the mouthless dead
 Across your dreams in pale battalions go,
 Say not soft things as other men have said,
 That you’ll remember. For you need not so.
 Give them not praise. For, deaf, how should they know
 It is not curses heaped on each gashed head?
 Nor tears. Their blind eyes see not your tears flow.
 Nor honour. It is easy to be dead.
 Say only this, ‘They are dead.’ Then add thereto,
‘Yet many a better one has died before.’
Then, scanning all the o’ercrowded mass, should you
 Perceive one face that you loved heretofore,
 It is a spook. None wears the face you knew.
 Great death has made all his for evermore.

Charles Sorley

REMEMBER THE SOMME -

19,000 British soldiers killed on one day

4596565524_ac05986907.jpg
REMEMBER THE PALS

Norman

3403383817_e5a3e3937f_z.jpg

Looking back to the 90th anniversary and a cover and stamp issued by the Republic of Ireland to mark the occasion. The stamp depicts the attack of the 36th (Ulster) Division at Thiepval on the 1st July 1916.

27331066603_521c5825e5_c.jpg

Pozieres

Battlefield relics at "Le Tommy" café and museum. Sniper shield at the top left with a German Pickelhaube below.

Norman

The letter was written several months afterwards by his brother, who himself had been at the Front since May 1915.

5549ad5b-a474-47bf-879c-7acb5f6d0f41_zps

Andrew enlisted into the 16th (Service) Battalion (2nd Glasgow), Highland Light Infantry, 32nd Division, X Corps. 

Andrew went over the top on July 1, 1916, and did not return. 

16th Highland Light Inf. - 25 officers and 755 other rank went over the top on 1st July 1916 - 5 officers and 221 rank and file survived. 

Andrew is commemorated at the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme - (July 1st).

Jul. 1, 1916
Thiepval
Departement de la Somme
Picardie, France

27841258262_7d4bb1e880_c.jpg

Memorial seat at the Lochnagar Mine Crater at La Boisselle on the battlefield of the Somme. Officially the 10th Battalion of the Lincolnshire Regiment they "went over the top" here at La Boisselle and when the great mine exploded they rushed to occupy the crater.

27919652326_eecb78f7a0.jpg

"A few of the Grimsby Chums made it into the German trenches. The only officer to make it was 2nd Lieutenant Harold P. Hendin who led five men to the German reserve trench (the third trench in the front-line system) and, gathering stragglers as the day progressed, he held off a series of German counter-attacks before having to retire. In total the Grimsby Chums suffered 502 casualties on 1 July; 15 officers and 487 other ranks. Only 2 of the officers came back unwounded, and only about 100 men".

10th Service Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment - The Grimsby Chums

Norman

Cricket's Roll of Honour from the Somme

Wisden on the Great War records the deaths on July 1 1916 of 43 men.

Four more are listed who later died of wounds sustained on July 1.

The book is dedicated to all the cricketers who made the ultimate sacrifice, represented by "Wisden's Unknown Soldier" (see Wisden 2012) 2nd Lt Niel Fagan, who was mortally wounded on July 1 and spent 48 hours in no man’s land before being rescued and returned to England. He died at Chichester on July 20, 1916, aged 20.

Died on July 1:

CAPT GEORGE NEWDEGATE ALISON (Seaforth Highlanders), who was killed on July 1, aged 26, had made good scores for the Incogniti and his Battalion. He had previously been wounded twice.

*2ND LT MAJOR WILLIAM BOOTH (West Yorks Regt), born at Pudsey on December 10, 1886, fell in action on July 1. His earliest cricket was played at Fulneck School, and later he was associated with Pudsey St Lawrence and the Wath Athletic Club, which played in the Mexborough League, and of which he was captain. He appeared regularly for Yorkshire 2nd XI in 1907 and two following seasons, and in 1908 received his first trial for the county. He did not, however, secure a regular place in the team until two years later, but in 1911 he scored 1,125 runs for his county and took 74 wickets, with a highest innings of 210 against Worcestershire on the Worcester ground. He increased his reputation as a bowler in the following summer, and in 1913 made over 1,000 runs and took 158 wickets for Yorkshire, his aggregate of 181 wickets in first-class matches being the highest of any bowler that season. In 1914 he was not so successful in batting, but he obtained 141 wickets for Yorkshire at a cost of 18 runs apiece. Although a fine punishing batsman, Booth’s claim to fame will rest chiefly upon what he accomplished as a bowler. Possessed of a free, natural action, he made the ball come quickly off the pitch. On occasion his off-break was quite formidable, but his strong points were swerve and pace off the ground. In two consecutive matches in August, 1914, he and Drake bowled unchanged throughout, Gloucestershire being dismissed for 94 and 84 at Bristol and Somerset for 44 and 90 at Weston-super-Mare. In the second innings of the latter match Booth had the very rare experience of bowling throughout without obtaining a wicket, Drake taking all 10 for 35 runs. In 1913 Booth was chosen for the Players at Lord’s, and during 1913-14 toured South Africa with the MCC’s team under J. W. H. T. Douglas’s captaincy. His doings abroad were somewhat disappointing, and so strong was the side that he was left out of three of the Test matches. In the 144 games in which he appeared for Yorkshire he scored 4,213 runs with an average of 22.65 and obtained 556 wickets for 18.89 runs each. Tall of stature, good-looking, and of engaging address, Booth was a very popular figure both on and off the cricket field.

Major was his first name, not military rank. Booth, who played in Yorkshire’s last match before the war, went over the top on the first day of the Somme; he was followed by Abe Waddington, who was injured and fell in the same shell hole as Booth, and held him until he died. Waddington survived to make his Yorkshire debut in 1919.

2ND LT LEONARD ARTHUR CAREY (Devon Regt), born at Finchley on December 3, 1891, fell in action on July 1, aged 24. A good wicketkeeper and useful batsman, he played for Christ College (Finchley), the Finchley CC, and – in 1911, 1912 and 1913 – the King’s County CC, of Brooklyn. He had been wounded in September 1915.

CAPT GEORGE TREVOR CARTLAND (Rifle Brigade), killed in France on July 1, aged 23, played for the Greenjackets and in Regimental matches.

MiD. The Worcestershire CCC memorial names a “Cartland, T”. George Trevor is commemorated in the Worcestershire churches of St John the Baptist, Claines, and St Philip and St James, Hallow; his parents, George and Lilian, lived near Worcester.

2ND LT EDWARD CHANDOS ELLIOT CHAMBERS (Lancs Fusiliers), born in 1896, was killed on July 1. Although not in the Eleven at Marlborough, he was a useful cricketer and in 1913 was one of the Cock House team.

SGT HENRY CECIL CROZIER (York and Lancaster Regt), killed in action on July 1, played for the Sheffi eld United CC.

*LT WILLIAM MAGEE CROZIER (Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers), killed on July 1, aged 42, was in the Repton Eleven in 1892, when he made 113 runs with an average of 7.53.

He scored four and three, and failed to take a wicket, in his single fc match, for Dublin University against Leicestershire at Grace Road in 1895.

2ND LT FRANK ARNOLD DAVIES (Cheshire Regt), killed on July 1, played for the Sefton Park CC.

CAPT ROWLAND FRASER (King’s Royal Rifle Brigade) was born on January 10, 1890, and was killed on July 1. He was in the Merchiston Eleven in 1905 and three following years, in 1908 being second both in batting and in bowling. Subsequently he played for the Grange CC and Perthshire. He obtained his Blue at Cambridge for rugby football, and was a Scottish international [four matches, 1911].

LT WARWICK HALL (South Staffs Regt), who fell in action on July 1, aged 20, was in the Denstone College Eleven in 1913 and 1914…

LT EDGAR HAMPSON (Lancs Fusiliers), killed on July 1, aged 20, had played in the Manchester Grammar School Eleven.

CAPT PERCY YARBOROUGH HARKNESS (West Yorks Regt) was killed on July 1. He was captain of cricket at Malvern Link School.

His son, James Percy Knowles, born on November 28, 1916, served in WW2, was a prisoner in the Far East and became a rear-admiral; he died in 2009, aged 92.

2ND LT ERIC RUPERT HEATON (Middlesex Regt), killed in action on July 1, aged 19, was in the Guildford Grammar School XI and played for the Woking CC.

**2ND LT JOHN ALEXANDER HELLARD (3 Bn, Somerset Light Infantry) was killed in action near Beaumont Hamel, France, on July 1, aged 34. He was born at Stogumber, Somerset, on March 20, 1882, and educated at King’s School, Canterbury, from 1896 to 1900. He became a solicitor’s clerk, was admitted as a solicitor in June 1906 and practised in Colombo, Ceylon. A right-hand bat and right-arm fast-medium bowler, he played in two County Championship matches for Somerset in 1907 and 1910. In Colombo, he served with the Town Guard Artillery from 1914 to 1915, when he returned to England and was commissioned in the Somerset Light Infantry. He was attached to 1 Bn in May 1916 when he landed in France. On the morning of July 1, the first day of the Somme, the battalion was part of 11th Brigade, and at 7.30am they left their trenches to the south-east of the village of Serre in support of 1 Bn, the Rifle Brigade. Heavy machine gun fire forced them off to the left and they found themselves in the German trenches in a position known as the Quadrilateral. Those men who continued were shot down from behind by German troops emerging from their deep dugouts. By the end of the day 26 officers and 438 other ranks of the battalion were listed as casualties. Although the CWGC records his date of death as July 2, it is given by the regimental history as July 1.

2ND LT HAROLD CECIL HERTSLET (Middlesex Regt), killed July 1, aged 27. Educated at Merchant Taylors’. Played for the Crescent Athletic CC, of Brooklyn, New York. {W1918}

Wisden 1918 said he was killed “early in 1917”. He was married on February 13, 1912, in New York.

CAPT GEORGE HENRY HESLOP (Middlesex Regt), who had been wounded on January 28, was killed on July 1, aged 21. He was perhaps the most promising young all-round cricketer who had yet to appear in a first-class match. During the four years he was in the Lancing Eleven… in each season he headed the batting averages, and in 1913 and 1914 obtained most wickets and was second in bowling. In scoring 148 v Hurstpierpoint in 1913 he made 238 for the first wicket with G. E. Palmer (163), and in 1914 obtained 223 v Steyning, 158 not out v MCC and Ground, 157 v Eton Ramblers, and 151 v S. C. Bostock’s XI.

He won a place at Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1914, but instead enlisted in the Public Schools Battalion of the Middlesex Regt.

2ND LT RAYMOND BOYCOTT HOLCROFT (Devon Regt), after having been wounded twice, was killed on July 1, aged 20. He had been in the Eleven at Warwick School.

2ND LT ROLAND GEORGE INGLE (Lincs Regt), killed on July 1, aged 30, had captained the Eleven at King’s School, Ely.

LT DAVID WILLIAM LLEWELLYN JONES (London Regt), who died of wounds on July 1, aged 21, was in the Bradfield Eleven in 1912 and 1913…

*SGT DAVID KENNEDY (Highland Light Infantry), killed July 1, aged 25. Uddington CC (of Scotland). {W1918}

Wisden 1918 wrongly listed his death as March 1917. He played for Scotland v Ireland at Dublin in July 1914.

CAPT STANLEY KENWORTHY (Manchester Regt), killed on July 1, aged 32, played in succession for St Bees, Queen’s College (Oxford) and Edinburgh Nomads. 

He was an assistant master at Merchiston.

2ND LT FREDERICK BERTRAM KEY (Royal Warwicks Regt), who fell in action on July 1, aged 27, played for Lichfield Grammar School and the Lichfield CC.

2ND LT ARTHUR DONALD LAIRD (Highland Light Infantry), who fell in action on July 1, aged 26, played in succession for Glasgow Academy, West of Scotland, and Glasgow Academicals. He had been wounded in January, 1916.

2ND LT THOMAS ERWIN LANCASTER (Seaforth Highlanders), killed on July 1, aged 18, was in the Highgate School Eleven.

LT-COL HAROLD LEWIS (Indian Cavalry attd to Manchester Regt) was born in 1880 and fell in action on July 1. He played a few times for Uppingham in 1897, but was not a recognised member of the Eleven.

MiD twice.

LT HAROLD LOMAS (Manchester Regt), born near Manchester on September 14, 1875, was killed on July 1, aged 40. He played for the Wimbledon CC from 1898 to 1900, and after going to the United States in 1900 played for the Baltimore CC for several years and, in 1912, occasionally for Richmond County (NY). He made four hundreds for Baltimore, his highest score being 114 v Moorestown in 1906.

MAJOR STEWART WALTER LOUDOUN-SHAND, VC (Yorks Regt), born on October 8, 1879, was killed on July 1. Whilst at Dulwich he was in the third eleven, and later he played in many parts of the world. He took part in the South African War. Last March he was wounded, and on the day he fell gained the Victoria Cross.

LG of September 8, 1916, records: “For most conspicuous bravery. When his company attempted to climb over the parapet to attack the enemy’s trenches, they were met by very fierce machine-gun fire, which temporarily stopped their progress. Major Loudoun-Shand immediately leapt on the parapet, helped the men over it, and encouraged them in every way until he fell mortally wounded. Even then he insisted on being propped up in the trench, and went on encouraging the non-commissioned officers and men until he died.” Nine men won VCs on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, of whom only three survived. Loudoun-Shand’s B company of the 10th Yorkshires went into action with five officers and 117 men; one officer and 27 men returned.

LT EDWARD CROZIER MacBRYAN (Somerset Light Infantry) was killed on July 1, aged 22. He was in the Oundle Eleven in 1910 and two following seasons, being captain in 1912, and later played for Jesus College, Cambridge, and, in 1913, a little for Wiltshire. He had been wounded in the spring of 1916. He was brother of Mr J. C. W. MacBryan, of Somerset, now a prisoner.

His brother Jack, who was wounded and taken prisoner at the Battle of Le Cateau on August 26, 1914, played a lot of cricket while interned in Holland. He was a Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1925 and died in 1983, when he was England’s oldest surviving Test cricketer; his single Test in 1924 was ruined by rain and he did not bat or bowl.

CAPT GERALD TASSEL NEAME (East Kent Regt), killed on July 1, aged 31, was in the Cheltenham Eleven in 1900 and 1901…

CAPT WILFRED PERCY NEVILL (East Surrey Regt), born on July 14, 1894, was killed on July 1, aged 21. He was in the Dover College Eleven in 1912 and 1913…

Men led by “Billie” Nevill advanced towards German trenches on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, kicking footballs as they went. He had bought four balls while on leave in London – one for each of his platoons – believing it would encourage his men when they finally went over the top. Near the German wire, Nevill ran forward with a grenade in his hand to kick a ball on, and was shot through the head. Two of the footballs were found the next day and returned to England where they are on display in military museums.

LT WILLIAM TRAFFORD NEWTON (North Staffs Regt), killed on July 1, aged 21, was in the Uppingham Eleven in 1912 and 1913…

LT THOMAS EDWARD NICHOLSON (Northumberland Fusiliers), killed on July 1, aged 25, was a left-handed batsman who played with success for Berwick and in the Border district.

CAPT DOUGLAS HILL O’FLAHERTY (Royal Irish Rifles), killed on July 1, aged 36, bowled with success for the North of Ireland CC.

2ND LT JOHN HUSKISSON PARR-DUDLEY (Royal Fusiliers), killed on July 1, aged 20, was captain of the Eleven whilst at Cranbrook School, Kent.

His younger brother, Walter (qv), also a 2nd Lt in the Royal Fusiliers, fell on April 5, 1918, aged 19, also at the Somme.

2ND LT ARCHIBALD FRANCIS CAMPBELL PAXTON (Middlesex Regt), killed on July 1, aged 19, was fourth in the Epsom College batting averages in 1914 with 18.30.

2ND LT ANGUS JOHN WILLANS PEARSON (Royal Fusiliers attached to Royal Dublin Fusiliers), born at Minnedosa, in Canada, fell in action on July 1, aged 21. In 1911 and three following years he was in the St Paul’s Eleven, and, besides being a useful batsman, bowled slow leg-breaks with success.… In 1914 he appeared at Lord’s for Rest v Lord’s Schools and for Public Schools v MCC. He had also been chosen for Young Amateurs of Middlesex.

CAPT WILLIAM HALDANE ROUND (Sherwood Foresters), killed on July 1, aged 23, was in the Eleven at St John’s School, Leatherhead, in 1911 and two following years, being captain in 1913.

2ND LT STEWART SPEARING SCHNEIDER (Royal Berks Regt), killed on July 1, aged 21, was well-known in mid-Sussex cricket.

His parents lived at Haywards Heath.

ADD:

Photos and further details. 

LT STEPHEN OSWALD SHARP (York and Lancaster Regt), killed on July 1, aged 26, played for Retford Grammar School and Rotherham Town.

CAPT BRUCE SWINTON SMITH-MASTERS, MC (Essex Regt), born in 1892, was killed on July 1, aged 24. At Haileybury he was in the second eleven, and subsequently he played in Regimental cricket and for the Band of Brothers. He had been wounded twice and been awarded the Military Cross.

His brother George Arthur was killed on August 19, 1915, aged 20; their father was vicar of South Banbury, Oxfordshire.

CAPT JOHN VERNON WHITE (Manchester Regt), killed on July 1, aged 24, played for the Southport CC.

2ND LT HAROLD GODWIN WILLIAMSON (North Staffs Regt), born in 1896, fell in action on July 1, aged 20. He was in the Eleven whilst at St Edward’s School, Oxford.

LT-COL DONALD WOOD (Rifle Brigade), born in April, 1878, was killed on July 1, aged 38. He played much in Regimental cricket.

ADD:

He was the youngest son of Arthur Hardy Wood who played for Hampshire and MCC. There is a memorial to him in Chawton Church, Hampshire.

He was Commanding Officer of 1 Bn, Rifle Brigade. He joined the Army in February 1899 and served in the South African War, taking part in the operations in Natal in 1899, including the action at Lombards Kop, and also in the defence of Ladysmith. He held the Queen’s medal with clasp. [Times obit, July 8, 1916]

Died of wounds sustained on July 1:

LT WILLIAM AUBREY BOWERS (North Staffs Regt), who died of wounds on July 2, aged 29, was a very keen cricketer whilst at Winchester, but was not in the Eleven.

He was mortally wounded on the first day of the Somme.

LT TERENCE ANTHONY CHAWORTH BRABAZON (Essex Regt), who was born at Rochester on February 20, 1896, was wounded on July 1, and died from septic pneumonia at Salisbury on August 3. In 1912 and 1913 he was in the King’s School, Rochester, Eleven, in the latter season playing an innings of 109 v Forest School.

He is buried at Wilton Cemetery, Wiltshire.

2ND LT MAURICE RICHARD CLIFT (Dorset Regt), who died on August 4 of wounds received on July 1, aged 19, played occasionally for Aldenham. He had been wounded twice previously.

ADD: 

He won an Exhibition to Pembroke College, Cambridge. He is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery.

2ND LT CHARLES ARMYTAGE WOOLER (West Yorks Regt), born at Wortley on March 16, 1895, died in the Herbert Hospital, Woolwich, on July 20, of wounds received on July 1. He was a member of the Sedbergh School Eleven in 1911.

He was wounded on the first day of the Somme. See his brother, below.

ADD: 

He is buried in Harrogate (Harlow Hill) Cemetery. The Yorkshire cricketer J. W. Rothery, who died of wounds on June 2, 1919, is also buried there.

Died on July 2:

LT ROGER STEWART MONTRESOR BEATSON (King’s Own Yorks Light Infantry), born at Rangoon, on July 20, 1890, was killed at Fricourt on July 2. He was in the Rugby Eleven in 1907, when he took 23 wickets for 13.30 runs each, heading the averages. Subsequently he played for the Burrard CC and the Public School team of Vancouver, where he was regarded as one of the best batsmen in British Columbia. He was wounded at Hooge in August 1915.

He was killed leading his men on the second day of the Battle of the Somme, when all the officers of the battalion who went into action were either killed or wounded.

CAPT STANLEY GEMMELL MILLAR (Machine-Gun Corps) was killed on July 2, aged 29. He played in turn for Loretto, Ferguslie and West of Scotland. At hockey he was an international for Scotland.

LT-COL MONTAGUE BRUCE STOW (East Yorks Regt), who died of wounds on July 2, aged 32, was in the Repton Eleven in 1901…

He served in India and Burma and in 1913 was ADC to the Governor of Bengal. He was MiD (LG, June 3, 1916) a month before his death at the Somme.

Died on July 3:

LT GEOFFREY WALTER MELVIN BURTON (East Kent Regt), killed on July 3, aged 19, was in the King’s School, Canterbury, Eleven in 1912 and two following seasons… His highest score was 108 v Rev L. H. Evan’s XI in 1914.

2ND LT WILLIAM GEORGE FLETCHER (North Staffs Regt), killed in action on July 3, aged 22, was in the Highgate School Eleven in 1912. He had been wounded in January.

*LT AND ADJT CECIL ARGO GOLD (Royal Berks Regt) was killed on July 3, aged 29. In 1905 and 1906 he was in the Eton Eleven… He played in the Freshmen’s match at Oxford in 1907, making nought and 35, but did not obtain his Blue. Since 1907 he had been a member of the MCC. He had been mentioned in Despatches.

He played one match for Middlesex in 1907, against Hampshire at Southampton.

LT CECIL HENRY GOSSETT LUSHINGTON (Worcs Regt) was killed on July 3, aged 31. He was not in the Eleven whilst at Haileybury, but later assisted the Gentlemen of Worcestershire.

2ND LT CONSTANT CLIFFORD WILLIAM MEYER (Lincs Regt) died of wounds on July 3, aged 20. He had been a member of the Beaumont College Eleven.

2ND LT BERNARD WILLIAM PIGG (Worcs Regt), born 1888; killed July 3. Tonbridge School XI, 1904–05–06–07; captain his last year. Trial games at Cambridge – Freshmen 1908; Seniors 1910 and 1911, scoring 32 and 31 in the latter year. Cambridgeshire XI. Incogniti. Was a good all-round man at Tonbridge. {W1918}

2ND LT ESMOND HALLEWELL ROGERS (Royal Warwicks Regt), killed on July 3, aged 25, was in the Shrewsbury Eleven in 1909 and 1910… At Cambridge he was captain of the Caius College Eleven, and he also played for Warwickshire 2nd XI and the Gentlemen of Worcestershire.

His father, Sir Hallewell Rogers, was Lord Mayor of Birmingham in 1904 and MP for Birmingham Moseley 1918–20.

2ND LT REX SHERWELL (Royal Flying Corps), who lost his life in a flying accident on July 3, aged 18 years and nine months, was in the Tonbridge Eleven in 1913 and two following years, being captain in 1915. He was an excellent batsman, and would undoubtedly have made a name for himself in first-class cricket had he been spared. In 1913, when he was second in the averages with 39.66, he scored 121 v Sherborne; in 1914, when first with 45.28, he made 52 not out against the same side, 139 v MCC and Ground and three and 69 for Lord’s Schools v The Rest at Lord’s; and in 1915 he obtained 169 v Clifton, 80 and 45 not out v Sherborne and 56 v Haileybury. He was left-handed as a batsman and had many strokes. He was the tenth son of his father, and one of his brothers is Mr Percy Sherwell, a former South African captain.

The plane he was piloting was brought down on a bombing raid on Cambrai.

27964132455_eaa5d7b38e_c.jpg

British trench map dated 28/4/1916 marked "SECRET Not to be taken beyond Brigade HQ" and numbered 490.

So marked because it shows in detail the British lines (Blue) in addition to the German lines (Red) all the objects with the exception of the officers compass are from the battlefield.

Norman