Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of the Somme 100 years - 1916-2016

Seadog

Resisted a good photo Toby, then what to you call that one its perfect was there any sign of the entrances or have they all disappeared by now? When first I saw a stokes round I thought is was an old moped exhaust as having stopped the car I stepped out right onto it. After a few excellent beers in Le Tommy the then owner thought he would demonstrate how safe these were so getting one from his collection he proceeded the bash it against the fireplace which contained (Autumn) a roaring fire!. After many more visits I became a little ( not a lot) more knowledgeable

Here are the then owners, sure some members will recognise them

2423200574_e226872001.jpg

Cheers

Norman

27466205666_0c90dac8bb_z.jpg

"And did you leave a wife or a sweetheart behind
In some faithful heart is your memory enshrined?
And, though you died back in 1916,
To that loyal heart are you always 19?
Or are you a stranger without even a name,
Forever enshrined behind some glass pane,
In an old photograph, torn and tattered and stained,
And fading to yellow in a brown wooden frame?"

From..................

The Green Fields of France

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkhBvO8_kM

I believe that Harry J Wood the lad in the photo survived and he is portrayed here as an example of all those old photos that still exist in rooms and attics the photo is dated early in 1916. His cap badge is that of the South African Infantry that fought so well and suffered many casualties in the battle for Delville Wood on the Somme.

Norman

Thank you Norman. I likewise thought the Stokes round was a piece of broken iron gate, potentially dangerous for cattle, so I gave it a good kick to release it from the earth!

I have no doubt that, being in chalk, Kentish Caves are still there, lurking under the field above. Curiosity makes me wonder if there are any trench maps that show where the entrances were, however one can be sure that they now lie beneath a finely tilled arable field. I wouldn't have thought they would have been in the face of the bluff due to its partial exposure to the German lines.

Your story about the former owner of Le Tommy - I can't help but ask if there was any relationship between his relaxed attitude to old munitions and his missing hand?

We always thought that Toby but it was apparently caused by an industrial accident, they were a super couple I and no doubt many others have fond memories of this place, by the way it was named the "Burma Star Café" and there was a small but interesting collection in the basement.

Example

2423200572_575e08ee3d_b.jpg

As you say it would be good to know where the entrances were to Kentish Caves and perhaps a member can help plus a photo if that is possible.

Norman

27492038006_92f62b0fc3_c.jpg

Martinsart British War Cemetery

Situated on high ground across the Ancre Valley from Thiepval this cemetery was begun at the end of June, 1916 when 14 men of the 13th Royal Irish Rifles, 36th (Ulster) Division killed by a shell were buried in what is now Plot I, Row A.

The headstones here are unusual in that they are of sandstone installed at a time when the CWGC were experimenting with various types of stone

CWGC

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/18100/MARTINSART%20BRITISH%20CEMETERY

Norman

2054309995_1b9c7e6912_b.jpg

Death Valley Mametz WW1

With Mametz Wood on the left and the Bazentin Ridge on the skyline, this was where thousands of Britsh troops and transports moved towards the Ridge during the battle. At the centre rear is Flat Iron Copse War Cemetery.

ID Disc found in the field to the left

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/4394246593

Norman

2046427255_b6b023e556_z.jpg

15363792509_73c2d185c7_z.jpg

4411180417_f477540dd1_z.jpg

Relics of the Somme

In Pozieres

Philip Johnstone (1918)

You are requested kindly not to touch
Or take away the Company's property
As souvenirs; you'll find we have on sale
A large variety, all guaranteed.
As I was saying, all is as it was,
This is an unknown British officer,
The tunic having lately rotted off.
Please follow me - this way ...
the path, sir, please

Link

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/nov/14/high-wood-philip-johnstone

Norman

GOMMECOURT

27575651345_b5c8aaca96_z.jpg

Image link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/27575651345/in/dateposted/

"... assist in the operations of the Fourth Army by diverting against itself the fire of artillery and infantry which might otherwise be directed against the left flank of the main attack near Serre".

4595924193_de5e49bcc9_z.jpg

Image link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/4595924193/in/photolist-J1Lqqz-Hf4ogL-H7Nwdz-xZZdHQ-y8BLUE-t9de8U-sk7csu-tejNfS-nWJhNY-818j9i-35iPSJ

Norman

27543462486_bf30ed301d_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/27543462486/in/dateposted/

Original postcard

15070627713_6910c905fd.jpg

2407625352_467d5f8bec.jpg

Authuille War Cemetery on the battlefield of the Somme is located on sloping ground which dips down to the River Ancre which had the misfortune to flow through this blood-soaked land

There are now over 450, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 40 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 18 soldiers from the United Kingdom, known or believed to be buried among them. The graves of two other German soldiers have been removed.

REMEMBER THE SOMME
1916 - 2016

Norman

15362909307_fb63051984_c.jpg

Lonsdale War Cemetery

The trees at the rear mark the tip of the German position known as the Leipzig Salient the objective on the 1st July 1916 and in this cemetery rests Serjeant Turnbull of the Highland Light Infantry who was awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery during the attack on that position.

"For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty, when, having with his party captured a post apparently of great importance to the enemy, he was subjected to severe counter-attacks, which were continuous throughout the whole day. Although his party was wiped out and replaced several times during the day, Serjeant Turnbull never wavered in his determination to hold the post, the loss of which would have been very serious. Almost, single-handed, he maintained his position, and displayed the highest degree of valour and skill in the performance of his duties. Later in the day this very gallant soldier was killed whilst bombing a counter-attack from the parados of our trench."

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/532453/TURNBULL,%20JAMES%20YUILL

FOR VALOUR

Norman

2054125475_49647740ce_b.jpg

Blighty Valley Cemetery in early Autumn

Blighty Valley was the name given by the Army to the lower part of the deep valley running down South-Westward through Authuile Wood to join the river between Authuile and Aveluy; a railway was carried along it soon after July, 1916, and it was for some time an important (though inevitably a dangerous) route. The upper part of the valley was called Nab Valley. Blighty Valley Cemetery is almost at the mouth of the valley, a little way up its northern bank. It is partly in either commune.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/18500/BLIGHTY%20VALLEY%20CEMETERY,%20AUTHUILLE%20WOOD

A comment on this image

"My great uncle, from 6th Bn. Royal berkshire Regiment is buried on the far side. I visited in Easter 2008 on a bleak, cold, windy and snowy day and was thankful for the modern comforts of warm, dry clothes and shoes. I was mindful of the extreme cold and discomforts our ancestors had to endure, even before being shot at and shelled. Heroes all!"

4458983447_156ec1ab86_z.jpg

Through Nab Valley and into the wood and the trenches facing Thiepval attacked on that momentous morning by the 11th battalion of the Border Regiment (The Lonsdales)

LEST WE FORGET

Norman

15362909307_e4daa6c3c9_b.jpg

Lonsdale War Cemetery

The trees at the rear mark the tip of the German position known as the Leipzig Salient the objective on the 1st July 1916 and in this cemetery rests Serjeant Turnbull of the Highland Light Infantry who was awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery during the attack on that position.

"For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty, when, having with his party captured a post apparently of great importance to the enemy, he was subjected to severe counter-attacks, which were continuous throughout the whole day. Although his party was wiped out and replaced several times during the day, Serjeant Turnbull never wavered in his determination to hold the post, the loss of which would have been very serious. Almost, single-handed, he maintained his position, and displayed the highest degree of valour and skill in the performance of his duties. Later in the day this very gallant soldier was killed whilst bombing a counter-attack from the parados of our trench."

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/532453/TURNBULL,%20JAMES%20YUILL

FOR VALOUR

Norman

Norman.

Happened to take a photo of his grave when visiting Lonsdale Cemetery last month. Here it is.

Regards.

Reg

post-41609-0-01010000-1465771631_thumb.j

2055029260_9d01ddf471_z.jpg

Thanks for posting the image Reg, this will be a familiar view to those who have walked the path from the memorial, the tip of the Leipzig Salient with the disused quarry on the right.

Norman

PS: I highly recommend this walk from the Memorial to Lonsdale Cemetery, through the wood to Nab and Blighty Valley then to the river and Authuile followed by a visit to the war cemetery. Keep an eye open for sights such as this:

3409157288_b1d5ac3b89_z.jpg

27544498752_34e2d9b670_z.jpg

Found on the surface of the field in front of the wood. This was fitted inside the rifle butt and coming across the years it makes a direct connection to the British soldiers who fought here.

High Wood

3408313889_4613ec3432.jpg

Norman

27386460290_68054c04c4_c.jpg

Purchased in the shop/café of the South African Memorial and Museum in the wood. On the right "A HANDBOOK ON RIFLE AND HAND GRENADES" Major  G M Ainslie  1917

3447592778_172a977438_z.jpg

Delville Wood

Norman

I m not sure whether this in the right place, but I guess that Keith will move it if it is not.

I am the editor of Charlie May's diaries, TO FIGHT ALONGSIDE FRIENDS: THE FIRST WORLD WAR DIARIES OF CHARLIE MAY.  It is gratifying to read of the interest in Charlie, who died on 1 July 1916, from many members of this forum.  You might like to know that his diaries have been selected to be read at the overnight vigil at Westminster Abbey on 30 June, and again at the international commemoration at Thiepval on the following day.  These events will be broadcast by the BBC.   Gerry

I picked up a leaflet about this talk in the Highland Archive.

Battle of the Somme – Talk by Ruaraidh Adams-Cairns

When: 30/06/2016 @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Where:The Highlanders Museum
Cost: £10.00
Join us at the Highlanders’ Museum on Thursday 30th June as we commemorate the centenary of the battle of the Somme. Historian and former Queen’s Own Highlander, Ruaraidh Adams-Cairns will talk about the battle and the role played by the Highlanders who were in and out the front line for the full 5 months of the Somme conflict.

This event includes wine and nibbles.

27092050433_90cea6f990_z.jpg

WW1 German War Cemetery Fricourt

Of the 17,000 burials at Fricourt only 5,057 German soldiers have an individual grave. Of these, 114 soldiers are unidentified.

The remains of 11,970 soldiers lie in four communal graves (Gemeinschaftsgräber). Of these the names of 6,477 remain unknown.

The names of those who are known to be buried in the communal graves are inscribed on metal tablets at the rear of the cemetery.

Image (Zoomable)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/27092050433/in/dateposted/

Norman

Brilliant,

A wonderful series of pictures with a tremendous "atmosphere", happily I will be there again in another week,

Richard

Thanks for your comment Richard, have a great time on this hallowed ground where every step you take is walking through history.

Norman

Some wonderful photos, Norman, please keep posting.

Steve

27706569675_dcdd71b75a_c.jpg

Sunken Road and 2nd Canadian War Cemeteries

The Sunken Road and at the top the 2nd Canadian War Cemeteries, Contalmaison, These are true battlefield cemeteries made during the battle of the Somme.

With the exception of a few soldiers from the Australian Infantry all of the soldiers buried in the Sunken Road War Cemetery are Canadian from a mixture of regiments. The Sunken Road Cemetery was made in July-October, 1916, during the middle fighting in the Somme offensive. There are now over 200, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified and three Australian graves, which cannot be located, are represented by special memorials

The 2nd Canadian Cemetery was made in July-October, 1916, during the middle fighting in the Somme offensive. There are now over 40, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. With the exception of two names for which no regiment is specified, all the soldiers buried here are from the Canadian Eastern Ontario Regiment,

REMEMBER THE SOMME
REMEMBER THE CANADIANS

Norman