Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Quaker Headstone

RaySearching

Its not often (I have only come across the one) that you find a commemorative inscription on a Quaker headstone

26631663611_eafe6eaef2_z.jpg

26631673081_63e0f56837.jpg

26093776523_21e2a21da7_c.jpg

Private ERIC HERBERT BIGLAND
14410 4th Bn Yorkshire Regiment

Eric was wounded in fighting close to Ypres and died of his wounds in No 2 Canada casualty clearing station on January 5th 1918 aged 24
Eric can be found on the 1911 census residing with his parents Herbert a ship broker and coal merchant and Mary Bigland at Park Villas Park Road South Middlesbrough, along with his siblings
No occupation is given for Eric on the census his family are fairly wealthy employers, I assume Eric is assisting in the family business

Eric was educated at Ackworth Boarding School (1905-1908)
(Ackworth School was a Quaker school with a strong commitment to pacifism)
Finishing his education at Middlesbrough High School

Eric an old boy of Middlesbrough High School is commemorated on the school memorial plaque which can now be found displayed in Middlesbrough College
Herbert has a commemorative memorial inscription on his brother Arthur’s Quaker headstone in The Quaker municipal cemetery which can be found within Linthorpe cemetery Middlesbrough
The register of soldiers effects list his father Herbert as the sole legatee of his effects
Born Middlesbrough enlisted Redcar
LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

The vast majority of Quakers during WW1 refused to fight Some went to prison as conscientious objectors others served in the Friends Ambulance Units or with refugee relief
A small number chose to fight including Eric under the premise that it would shorten the war (How wrong they were)

His brother Ronald Cecil Bigland enlisted into the 13th Bn Royal Highlanders of Canada on Sept 23rd 1914 Pte 24574 attaining the rank of Lieutenant awarded the DCM survived and demobilised 5th May 1919

Edited by RaySearching
name correction

26631653731_876f77597e_c.jpg

26093817253_f20035412e.jpg

Regards Ray

Edit

Curiously Arthur Herbert Bigland is not found on any of the census's with the family

Thanks for an interesting post Ray,

There is a nice photo of him, and other info, on the Lijssenthoek website here :

http://www.lijssenthoek.be/en/address/9692/-eric-herbert-bigland.htm

post-41657-0-51630500-1461868231_thumb.j

His headstone also has an epitaph "Son of Herbert and Mary Bigland of Middlesboro England"

BillyH.

edit : I was typing this reply as you posted #2 with the same image

Thanks for the reply BillyH

I had seen the Lijssenthoek website on my wanderings

No mention of the mysterious brother Arthur Herbert on there either

The only other snippet I can add is that his death was reported in the local newspaper on the 10th Jan 18

died on the 5th having been wounded the previous day

Regards Ray

Interesting too that they chose to have the standard calendar date instead of "5th day 1st month" or "22nd day 2nd month" which was the old Quaker dating, seen on one other WW1 stone to a maritime casualty.

Clive

In 1881, the 1 year old Arthur Herbert BIGLAND is with his 24 year old mother Mary BIGLAND at her parent's house (John and Jane STEWART) in Stockton upon Tees.

In 1891, aged 11, he is at the Friend's school at Ackworth.

CGM

Thanks for that

I suspect that Arthur may have resided with and have been brought up by his grandparents

Regards Ray

There is a memorial to Owen Goodbody in the Friends' Burial Ground in Blackrock, Co. Dublin. (http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Place-Detail?siteId=168). He is buried in Alexandria.

There are two memorials in the same burial ground to Quakers who died in World War II.

Michael

Hi Michael
Thanks for contribution to the thread

Interesting that the Irish Quaker’s have adopted a different headstone profile
I think they must vary throughout the country but all uniform in shape in various cemetery’s
The North East Quaker cemetery’s York Darlington and Middlesbrough have adopted the round topped
headstone as in post 1

The ethos of the friends being equal even in death (although in life some friends I suspect were more equal than others)

The Goodbody memorial appears not to be a commemorative memorial, more a simple record of his passing

Following is the image of the Goodbody memorial Linked from website
Curtsy of Michael Pegnum and Irish War Memorials

847_med.jpg

Lieutenant OWEN FREDERICK GOODBODY
Royal Engineers 72nd Field Coy
Owen died of enteric fever aged 24 on the 20th October 1915 in Alexandria Egypt
He was the son of Johnathon and Ellen P Goodbody of Pembroke House Blackrock Dublin
ALEXANDRIA (CHATBY ) MILITARY AND WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

Owen’s Photo and Biography
Can be found in the Bootham School Archives HERE (Scroll down)

His Will

post-45309-0-49956300-1462116094_thumb.j

regards Ray

Hello,Ray,

Thanks for quoting my own website (there is a link to it in my post), even if you did get my name wrong!

I don't understand the distinction in "The Goodbody memorial appears not to be a commemorative memorial, more a simple record of his passing". It's a memorial to someone who died on active service, so it comes within my definitions of war memorials.

Michael

Hi Michael

My sincere apologies for typing your name incorrectly
My eyesight is not what it use to be
Whilst I agree that that the inscription commemorates Owens life and death
There is no indication on the headstone that he died whilst serving

I was attempting to distinguish it (rather badly) from the usual commemorative memorial inscriptions usually found on grave markers ie died whilst serving killed in action died of wounds ect although one would not usually expect to find one on a Quaker grave marker

I agree that the grave marker is a war memorial and comes under the definition of a war memorial although not immediately obvious

Nice Website by the way

Regards Ray

• 3 years later...
On 28/04/2016 at 19:10, RaySearching said:

Its not often (I have only come across the one) that you find a commemorative inscription on a Quaker headstone

Eric was wounded in fighting close to Ypres and died of his wounds in No 2 Canada casualty clearing station on January 5th 1918 aged 24
Eric can be found on the 1911 census residing with his parents Herbert a ship broker and coal merchant and Mary Bigland at Park Villas Park Road South Middlesbrough, along with his siblings
No occupation is given for Eric on the census his family are fairly wealthy employers, I assume Eric is assisting in the family business

Eric an old boy of Middlesbrough High School is commemorated on the school memorial plaque which can now be found displayed in Middlesbrough College
Herbert has a commemorative memorial inscription on his brother Arthur’s Quaker headstone in The Quaker municipal cemetery which can be found within Linthorpe cemetery Middlesbrough
The register of soldiers effects list his father Herbert as the sole legatee of his effects

The vast majority of Quakers during WW1 refused to fight Some went to prison as conscientious objectors others served in the Friends Ambulance Units or with refugee relief
A small number chose to fight including Eric under the premise that it would shorten the war (How wrong they were)

His brother Ronald Cecil Bigland enlisted into the 13th Bn Royal Highlanders of Canada on Sept 23rd 1914 Pte 24574 attaining the rank of Lieutenant awarded the DCM survived and demobilised 5th May 1919

Your comment with regard to vast majority of Quakers refusing to fight is exaggerated. Some 33% of all Quaker men of age enlisted, some 226 killed. I have not yet estimated how many Quakers were assigned to work of national importance, and the number of absolutist COs amongst them was not high. Overall most Quakers supported the war effort in some ways, perhaps not always willingly, whilst members of the FAU were given the medals given to all serving soldiers - although it is true that some of them would not accept those medals. It is incorrect to make all Quakers pacifists although all of them would have supported their peace testimony and held to the view that wars are inconsistent with Christian belief.

4 hours ago, gethine45 said:

Your comment with regard to vast majority of Quakers refusing to fight is exaggerated. Some 33% of all Quaker men of age enlisted, some 226 killed. I have not yet estimated how many Quakers were assigned to work of national importance, and the number of absolutist COs amongst them was not high.

Gethine

Some 33% of all Quaker men of age enlisted,  But not all willingly    2/3 who did not  in my opinion is a vast majority

From the Quaker  Testimony 

AN APPEAL TO THE CONSCIENCE OF THE NATION The Military Service Act 1916 introduced conscription in Britain. Conscription required unmarried men aged 19–41 to join the armed forces. The Act included a ‘conscience clause’, providing exemption for those with a conscientious objection to combatant service. Conscientious objectors (COs) had different reasons for objecting to military service including religious belief, political ideology, and moral or humanist principles. Local tribunals assessed those claiming exemption. At the tribunals COs were questioned on the sincerity of their beliefs. Tribunals had the power to grant absolute or conditional exemption but COs were frequently rejected. Those who were denied exemption were considered soldiers absent without leave and expected to report for duty. Those continuing to refuse military orders were often sent to prison. By May 1918 there were 1,300 conscientious objectors in prison and 3,300 in Home Office work camps. Many were serving successive sentences for their objection to military service, despite assurances from the government that this would not happen

Ray

By my reading of those 33% most were "willing" and enlisted of their own volition, although some might have asked to join the RAMC for example. In the absence of complete records of tribunals its possible conjecture. Cyril Pearce's Communities of Resistance published in 2020 is well worth looking at.

The 66% of Quaker men who were not in the armed forces, the majority did not appeal against the decision of the tribunals, and agreed to whatever decision was made. The number whose occupation was restricted was also significant especially sine many were engaged in engineering or manufacturing. Most then agreed to do work of national importance, were not absolutists and thus contributed to the war effort. In total war whatever you do contributes to the social fabric. Those who worked under the Brace Committee thus contributed even though hey might have had stretches in prison before agreeing to such an arrangement.

It is a misnomer to think that was is just about shooting people! You quote the Quaker Testimony, but at no time were there 1300 Quakers in prison or that high a number in the various work camps. I estimate that the total number of Quaker men eligible for service was around 3000. As for the Appeal  it was issued in 1918 and was done so in relation to the imprisonment of all COs seen as an assault on freedom of religion. A position which found sympathy across many denominations. Its interesting to read the appeal alongside I Appeal unto Ceaser  which was attributed to the mother of Stephen Hobhouse, and she was no Quaker.

As an aside the Yearly Meeting of Quakers in August 1914 issued a statement which proved controversial at the time but reassured many within the Society as to where their duty lay. Part of it read as follows: We recognise that our Governments't has made most strenuous efforts to preserve peace, and has entered into the war under a grave sense of duty to a smaller State, towards which we had moral and treaty obligations. While, as a society, we stand firmly to the belief that the method of force is no solution of any question, we hold that the present moment is not one for criticism, but for devoted service to our nation .... In the sight of God we should seek to get back to first principles, and to determine on a course of action which shall prove us to be worthy citizens of his Kingdom. In making this effort let us remember those groups of men and women, in all the other nations concerned, who will be animated by a similar spirit, and who believe with us that the fundamental unity of men in the family of God is the one enduring reality, even when we are forced into an apparent denial of it.' 

The key phrase was 'for devoted service to our nation" It gave space for some to enlist, others to create and join the FAU and for others to seek exemption from combatant service. The FAU of course had military bearing to its practices, dress and nomenclature, and those who were in it, not all Quakers by any means, was an alternative service which most tribunals found acceptable, and those within it faced th same hazards as the military.

Gethin

The Testimony is a fictional newspaper inspired by Quaker activities in World War I. Articles have been drawn from historical articles found in scrapbooks held in the Library of the Society of Friends and original articles have been written specifically for The Testimony. The Testimony newspaper is not intended to be a comprehensive record of historical events4

LINK

As this is the Great war Forum, Looking forward to your research into the 226 Quakers that were killed in action

Ray

Sorry you are in error. London Yearly Meeting did issue the appeal as titled by you in May 1918 - see page 344 British Quakerism 1860-1920 The Transformation of a Religious Community by Thomas C Kennedy OUP pub 2001 confirms. The term testimony is used by Quakers to describe  statements made by the Yearly Meeting on issues of public interest.The testimony to which you have a link was produced especially in 2016 to reflect Quaker activity during the 1st WW it was not produced during the war itself!!. At the end it notes use of archival material. Its presented as a 'spoof, newspaper.

As for my research, I refer you to my peer reviewed article in Quaker Studies Vol 24 No1 January 2019 entitled Our Quaker Dead: A Forgotten History.

As for my 1914 quote that comes from the Proceedings of London Yearly Meetings, and is totally relevant to anyone studying the Great War and to this forum, since it reflects  the turmoil. foreign and domestic that surrounded it. The stories on this forum reflects a breadth of interest and research. Its not simply about militarism.

Work continues of identifying those killed, as well as those  who died whilst working for the FAU or FWVRC. Its almost done. In due course all that material will be lodged at Friends House Library, and probably the IWM.

Hi

Any chance of re-posting the original image?

Not visible to me, maybe due to age of post.

32 minutes ago, caulkheader said:

Hi

Any chance of re-posting the original image?

Not visible to me, maybe due to age of post.

Caulkheader

I will see if I can find the images among my files  (as I have several thousand it may take some time)

and repost on this thread if found

Ray

On 28/04/2016 at 19:10, RaySearching said:

In relation to your comment about the inscription on the Quaker headstone for Eric Bigland, thought you might be interested in this. Not a very clear picture - top bit missing!. The grave is at the Pales Meeting House, Llandegley, near Llandrindod Wells. The grave is for Daniel Prince, who was caretaker at one time at the meeting house and lived there. I don't think the son was in membership of the Society, but usually the wording on gravestones had to be agreed by the Monthly Meeting, since they were to be concise showing only name and year of birth and death, and perhaps home address. The fact that Eric and Basil here were given recognition of their sad demise does, however, reflect the sensitivity which Quakers showed to family loss during the war. Overall Quakers were caring of families where sons had joined the military. There are three other Quaker graves, that I know of, for dead Quaker combatants, but with no reference to their war activities on the headstone. Although I have not seen, or rather could not find the grave of Robert Enock at Winchmore Hill Quaker Meeting House to confirm the wording on his.

Gethinimage.jpeg.59bc414e1916bc4a53ac3f5b07d75882.jpeg

Here is another one from Linthorpe Quaker burial ground

found later on the perimeter of the burial ground, against the wall obscured by bushes

1292983797_JRPattison.JPG.20581bbdc5cd1e1a7554d7acf8f86577.JPG

PATTISON JOSEPH RENTON

Lance Corporal JOSEPH RENTON PATTISON
2837 / 200704 1st/4th Bn Yorkshire Regiment

Joseph entered the theatre of war in France on the 18/4/1915 and died aged 27 of bronco pneumonia and influenza whilst on active service in hospital in France on the 1st November 1918

He was the son of Tom Lye Pattison an ironworks clerk and Mary Ellen Pattison and the husband of Florence E. Pattison (nee Shepherd) of 11 Caxton Street Middlesbrough The couple married in Middlesbrough in 1918
Joseph can be found on the 1911 census residing with his parents and siblings at 26 Pembroke Street Middlesbrough employed as a ironworks clerk

The register of soldiers’ effects list his widow Florence E as the sole legatee of his effects

The claimant of a dependant’s pension is listed as F.E (widow) born 5/2/1894 of 11 Caxton Street Middlesbrough

Born and enlisted Middlesbrough                   (Middlesbrough war memorial)

TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY WIMILLE

Note (Terlincthun British Cemetery situated on the coast near Boulogne was used chiefly for burials from the Base Hospitals)

Along with Bigland . Pattison was also an old boy of Middlesbrough High School

Ray

Edit his CWGC grave marker

terlincthun-pattison.jpg.a9312ce8189a83c3302631dc08ab45d7.jpg

Edited by RaySearching
additional image

On 23/01/2023 at 19:02, RaySearching said:

Caulkheader

I will see if I can find the images among my files  (as I have several thousand it may take some time)

and repost on this thread if found

Ray

Many thanks for doing so.

T