Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier in Glasnevin - How did he die?

Clarissabell

Hi all,

A relative of mine was a civilian casualty in The 1916 Rising in Dublin. He was shot through the jaw at his home at 18 Usher's Island, and died on the way to Jervis St Hospital, with his wife of 6 months, who was pregnant, at his side. He was buried in Glasnevin Cemetery. I visited there yesterday with my children, and we were saddened to see that he had no headstone. We are putting that to right. The headstone closet to him was for a Royal Irish Rifleman M. Ennis. His headstone was recently erected apparently.

I want to know how he died; if he was involved in the Rising or if he was recuperating from injuries obtained at the Front.

My relative, Peter Fahy had three brothers in the Leinsters away in France. They all survived the war; only the 23 year old tailor from Offaly died. Here is what I know about the soldier who is laid to rest beside my great uncle from a basic online search: Michael Ennis: regimental number 8094 Royal Irish Rifles Died: 18/05/1916 .

Grave: Dublin. QG.43.5.
Cause of Death: Haemoptysis (the coughing up of blood.) at Richmond Hospital. Address: 9 Arran Quay, Dublin.
Religion: RC.
Marital status: Married.
Informant: Thomas Wilson, 4 Ushers Island.
Any help at all to learn more about Michael Ennis's war would be really appreciated.
Regards,
Michelle

I can't see anything obvious on a casualty list.

He doesn't have a soldiers effects entry which would usually indicate a man wasn't serving (and hadn't served during the war) however the fact he has a CWGC grave indicates he was still serving (or had died from something attributed to prior service)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Died after discharge

ENNIS, MICHAEL, M: Rifleman 8094 Royal Irish Rifles. Died: 18/05/1916

Grave: Dublin. QG.43.5. of Haemoptysis at Richmond Hospital

. Address: 9 Arran Quay, Dublin. Occupation: Soldier. Religion: RC. Marital status: Married.

Informant: Thomas Wilson, 4 Ushers Island.

regards Ray

Edit listed Here

He had enlisted in July 1915 and gone to France 19/12/15. He suffered from tuberculosis of the lung in January 1916 and was discharged 18/2/1916 no longer physically fit for war service.

He had enlisted in July 1915 and gone to France 19/12/15. He suffered from tuberculosis of the lung in January 1916 and was discharged 18/2/1916 no longer physically fit for war service.

Looks like he may have slipped through the effects records - he should have received a £5 payment.

Craig

Soldiers effects entry Here

Got spot :thumbsup: - I couldn't see him.

I was right on the war gratuity though £3 (net) which was the £5 gross payment less the £2 service gratuity. :whistle:

Craig

Thank you all for your help. I never heard of the Soldier's Effects records before. So he was discharged and then just died. How very sad. An awful way to go.

Thanks again for all your time and for sharing your expertise. Two sad stories side by side. Do we know how old he was?

Regards,

Michelle.

7th Bn RIR

He was 32, married to Lily Pine in 1909, with three children, the youngest born in April 1916.

IPT, that is just so sad... Peter, my relative, didn't get to see his son at all. At least Michael did. Two sad stories indeed. Thanks again everyone.

Michelle

possibly:

Residents of a house 31.3 in Stoneybatter (Arran Quay, Dublin) Show all information Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Ennis Mary 68 Female Head of Family R Catholic Ennis Michael 28 Male Son R Catholic

possibly:

Residents of a house 31.3 in Stoneybatter (Arran Quay, Dublin) Show all information Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Ennis Mary 68 Female Head of Family R Catholic Ennis Michael 28 Male Son R Catholic

That looks about right. We put a flower on his grave yesterday and will do so again whenever we visit Peter's grave.

Thanks. Michelle.

6475653602344960.png?k=5mj0exeYpowvnVUEP

5716155073822720.png?k=MSoBIWo1F6f38usUm

5716155073822720.png?k=MSoBIWo1F6f38usUm

5099094840705024.png?k=gE1Ce2gs04bTtoYQX

4516735233818624.png?k=Y6VrRguzutlQUlKSc

You might have to help me with this. This is the battalion war diary? It shows that he was in France, in the British line, in January?

Michelle (fascinating to read the actual script - thanks!)

He was 32, married to Lily Pine in 1909, with three children, the youngest born in April 1916.

There seems to have been a transcription error somewhere down the line

his mother in law is listed on the soldiers effects as the legatee of his effects (appears to read Payne)

although like most mothers in laws she may have just been a pain

post-45309-0-80158100-1459456651_thumb.j

his mother in law is listed on the soldiers effects as the legatee of his effects (appears to read Payne)

The Descriptive Report on Enlistment manages to include both names.

post-48020-0-02073900-1459457270_thumb.j

Are so Catherine Payne was the guardian of Lily Pine

and not of Michael

Ray

You might have to help me with this. This is the battalion war diary? It shows that he was in France, in the British line, in January?

Michelle (fascinating to read the actual script - thanks!)

Yes-48th Brigade of the 16th Division - he was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal, and the 1914-15 Star for service in France.

Yes-48th Brigade of the 16th Division - he was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal, and the 1914-15 Star for service in France.

Thanks Simon, Ray and IPT for your research. Why would a woman with 3 kids need a guardian?? There are so many things to think about here.

Thanks folks,

Michelle

attachicon.gifpain.JPG

Funny - :)