Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Floating Tap' sculpture at Ypres

Mark Hone

BGS Battlefield tour regulars were disappointed to see that their old favourite, 'The Floating Tap' sculpture in the middle of the roundabout on the south side of Ypres, had disappeared when we visited last October. What has happened-is it perhaps going to be replaced with some centenary memorial?

Noooooo, I loved that tap.

I reckon it alluded to the generous ammount of beer the Belgiums pour into my glass every time. That was the only explination, the next morning, as far as I was concerned!

:innocent:

Mark,

I come along normally once a day.

True, it isn't there right now. And I was not surprised because I thought that it never was there in winter. Certainly not running.

But strange, neither me nor my wife remember if in winter it is removed, or only not running.

I'll let you know if and when it's back. As ln,g as you do not want a photo of me (or my wife !) taking a shower ! :-)

Aurel

Thanks, Aurel. It was mid-October last year when we noticed it wasn't there as we drove past in our coach.

I hear it is to be replaced by a 200ft high metal poppy surrounded by Mickey, Donald, Goofy et al.

Norman,

I don't like your sense of humour. (Is it ?)

But I think I can sense your sense of sourness.

Aurel

Seadog was probably unhappy [as were many of us] by the strange posters/hoardings near the Menin Gate.

They were memorably cringeworthy.

Grumpy,

I was wrong !

That Seadog was (is) unhappy, that may have been right. (For Seadog ... No, I won't complete my sentence. :-) )

But I thought he was unhappy about a certain Blacksmiths' initiative here in Ypres and later in Langemark. (With a metal poppy.)

On the other hand, even if there were plans to surround some local non-WW1 related eye catcher with Micky, Goofy, Donald, nothing (really) wrong with it I would think. We also have roundabouts with a cat ...

And that brings me to "Disneyfication", a word used on the GWF from time to time, related to the Ypres Salient. I really wish I could join the debate. But unfortunately I have never been to Disneyworld, or Disneyland or Disney Paris. So I can't compare.

Yet, somehow I think one has to pay to get in there. I don't think there are similar plans for the Ypres Salient.

Also; aren't Disneyworld, Disneyland and Disney Paris places where visitors are supposed to have or make fun ? I don't think this could ever be the intention here. :-)

Aurel (a little bit ... grumpy. :-) )

I, my family and generations of students have all liked the floating tap and the giant hop at Poperinge.

• 2 weeks later...

The "Tap" is back!

I drove past it this morning

Yorke,

You beat me !

I must say that in the past days this week, I forgot to pay attention, but true, this afternoon I saw it.

(And enjoyed the thought that no one insisted on me taking a shower ! :-) )

Aurel

1st one to post photo gets a fig roll :innocent:

Biff :devilgrin::poppy:

A fig roll ? No idea what that is.

Anyway, taken this afternoon at 2.45 pm (my time). (But before I had seen your posting, Biffo.)

My wife was with me, and though I assured her that many GWF members would appreciate, she stubbornly refused. (When I asked her to take a ...) :-)

Aurel

post-92-0-54307000-1460653618_thumb.jpg

It looks to be in very good order - perhaps it was away for a refurb and paint job?

The daffodils are out in force, too...

Brummell,

I should know, for I pass it almost every day, and that certainly in the last 15 years, but I think it is removed every winter ? And if not, it certainly is dry in winter.

I still haven't found what a fig roll is, but as a 2nd pic can never be rewarded as if it is the 1st, I am safe, and here we go for one more.(Taken some years ago.)

Oh, I forgot in my previous posting ... The fact that I wanted my wife to etc. of course was that it would give a better idea as to the size of course.

(OK, a smiley, because you insist : :hypocrite: )

Aurel

post-92-0-86341800-1460656113_thumb.jpg

A fig roll ? No idea what that is.

Aurel,

For the first time ever, I feel a bit sorry for you.

Fig Rolls are a bit like another British delicacy, Marmite - I think you either love them or hate them. (personally I like them both).

Forum member Rogerpopeye is very partial to them, have a look at his avatar here :

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234568&hl=

BillyH.

Billy,

That's wonderful news ! What a nice thing to start my PC day with ! Does that mean that Biff will send me one ?

I am willing to try. I am not particularly fond of figs, but anything coming from the UK is welcome.

Yet, I am a bit suspicious about that. Here in Dutch we have a saying : Vijgen na Pasen (Literally : Figs after Easter). It seems your equivalent is : Too late to be of any use ...

So Biff was only kidding ? :(

British humour ... Not always easy to understand on the other side of the Channel ... (Except Fawlty Towers and Keeping Up Appearances of course.)

Aurel

I recommend Marmite in preference to fig rolls. There is a Great War connection. Originally devised as a vegetarian cooking stock ( by the chap who invented Bovril) it was sent to the troops in Mesopotamia as it was believed to guard against beri-beri and other tropical diseases. The soldiers started spreading it on their bread and a legend was born. It should appeal to Belgians as Marmite is yeast extract and is essentially a by product of the brewing industry.

Billy,

Does that mean that Biff will send me one ?

for family reasons I do not think I will be"over there"this year,BUT Aurel if you pm me your address I will gladly send you a packet,at the same time I can send you a spotted dick !! :w00t:

I've tried to convert the local Flemish population to the delights of Marmite, Bovril and Oxo but unfortunately with very little success.

All the more for us.

When I visited my daughter in Australia some years ago I smuggled in four giant jars of Marmite at her specific request.

Afterwards she told me I could have ended in jail: I think because at the time Vegeite [yurrrghhhhh!] was the protected alternative.

Not sure if that is true but my daughter was prepared to see me in jail for the stuff!