Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Floating Tap' sculpture at Ypres

Mark Hone

This topic started with tap water, and gradually developed into gastronomic delicacies (except I think the tripe stuff, pig's trotters and some other atrocities).

Good !

What can I offer in Flemish ? Well, the first things that come to my mind :

- "blinde vinken" (literally : blind finches - odd, my dictionary can give no translation or equivalent, but says that this is not the same as "olives of beef / veal"

- and for sweets : "nunnebillen" (dialect ; translated literally : nun's buttocks)

- and (I really hesitate) "negerinnetetten" (the first half of the word is a black woman, the second part is the ... t*ts ; it is our dialect word ; in Holland they call that : "negerzoenen" (negro's kisses), of which my dictionary says that there is no equivalent in English, but that it is not the same as what you call "chocolate éclairs". Of course it's not the same !!!)

Aurel

Aurel

I am struggling not to post a reply as it will probably get me banned!!!!!

John

I'm still laughing, priceless definitions and connotations

John,

I would never ban you from the PMs. :-)

Well,, as a picture says more than a thousand words ...

I found one with 3 "breasts". Perfect !( I was afraid that only 2 would tickle your fantasy too much.)

Oh, by the way, if you think that this is "disgusting", ... I remember that elsewhere in Flanders these are also called : "nunnescheten" (nun's *****)

Aurel (so glad that I can divert this topic away from "pig's trotters", to a higher level)

post-92-0-48890700-1461142761_thumb.jpg

A cleaner version for anyone who may be shocked.

And if someone thinks : Actually I'd rather return to the initial posting and topic opener (should you have forgotten : about the Ypres Floating Water Tap) : no problem. :-)

Aurel

post-92-0-42690700-1461143159_thumb.jpg

after eating sun dried caterpillars in south Africa :w00t: which to be honest were not bad,I was very surprised when a bokie asked me if I liked black pudding and was it really made out of pigs blood,I told him I loved it esp bury black pudding,he turned away in disgust

Aurel trust you to lower the tone "nunnescheten" (nun's *****)

Nigel slice of dead mans leg closely followed by dogs ar++ apple pie please

I`ll get me great coat

About the only thing they don't sell at Bury's 'world famous' market is a cow pie with the horns sticking out (as eaten by Desperate Dan).

I have been enjoying this, but (out of interest), why is it still on the main Forum? It has little - or less - to do with the Great war and has dissolved into chit chat about culinary matters. Threads have been closed or moved into Skindles with far less off-topic stuff (usually after a non-Skindler has commented about the nonsense going on).

I'm not asking for this thread to be moved or closed, but it does seem a little - shall we say, inconsistent - Modding.

Steven

To bring back on line, is the floating tap the same design as the one Cala Galdana, Menorca, it certainly looks the same?

John

Steven,

You're absolutely right.

But somehow it seemed as if it was unstoppable.

Apologies.

Glad that John brought it back on the right track.

I do not remember when the Ypres Tap was installed, but I definitely remember that before it was there, I had seen an identical on somewhere near Oostduinkerke - Koksijde (Flemish coast), in the dunes.

And if you wonder : why a Water Tap ? Simply because nearby (less than 100 meters) is the Ypres Drinking Water Plant, filtering and cleaning the water coming from Zillebeke Lake. (The same reason there was a Floating Water Tap between Oostduinkerke - Koksijde.)

Aurel

And this is where the tap is (now).

Looking at the southern part of the Ypres Ramparts.

Horizontal road is the Lille Road.

Left : the Lille Gate. Right : towards Wijtschate etc.

We are looking east.

The railroad no longer exists.

The Tap is where I marked with a cross, between Ypres and Zillebeke Lake.

post-92-0-81661600-1461163351_thumb.jpg

Aurel, that is a fascinating photo.

Roger

Fascinating photo as always, Aurel. Apologies if I've helped the thread drift off its original track.

Aurel, that is a fascinating photo.

Roger

It certainly is.

One more, though it does not show where the Floating Water Tap is now.

I wrote the names of some streets on it, in yellow. (As it may be a bit difficult for some of you without them.)

Beware of the names written in handwriting in white. Some are wrong !

"Menin Gate" definitely should be Lille Gate.

And the road to Zonnebke is the Rijselseweg (Lille Road).

If you want more street names, just let me know.

I don't remember where or from who I got the photo.

If from a GWF member ...

Aurel

post-92-0-47389800-1461177999_thumb.jpg

Another great photo! Do you have any more?

Roger

As one of the main members who started to drift off post, I whole heartedly apologise

ypres%20tap_zpsvcq17cbr.jpg