Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Do you need any coldstream guards service papers?

Coldstreamer

Hello

RHQ have put my trip back a week sorry - will keep you posted

cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I've been to RHQ today. Found most papers and will sort in next few days.

Ian

Many thanks for all the hard work, just working through what you found for me and updating my individual records,

Best regards Simon.

hope you found some good stuff

• 7 years later...
3 hours ago, jaymacel said:

Hi Coldstreamer, Can you still obtain the papers for me of Benjamin MacLeman number 8549? if so let me know what I need to do this end.

regards

John

Hi,

I’m sure Ian will be along shortly with a likely negative response.

CG transferred all their service record files to MOD a couple of years ago and MOD are in the process of transferring the files to UK National Archives.

If you apply to MOD they will do a search for free and either let you know that they still have his file and quote the fee or signpost you to UK NA where you ought to make a request under Freedom of Information Act for its release - again a fee will be charged.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson

About the same time CG made some records available on findmypast site so you will likely find his enlistment register entry there (likely a 1909/1910 enlistment from his regimental number).

Good Luck

Steve

Edited by tullybrone

18 hours ago, tullybrone said:

Hi,

I’m sure Ian will be along shortly with a likely negative response.

CG transferred all their service record files to MOD a couple of years ago and MOD are in the process of transferring the files to UK National Archives.

If you apply to MOD they will do a search for free and either let you know that they still have his file and quote the fee or signpost you to UK NA where you ought to make a request under Freedom of Information Act for its release - again a fee will be charged.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson

About the same time CG made some records available on findmypast site so you will likely find his enlistment register entry there (likely a 1909/1910 enlistment from his regimental number).

Good Luck

Steve

Thanks, Steve