Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A new ASC prefix!

Waggoner

Gary

MICs (there's two, one for medals and another for SWB) and Medal Rolls all confirm SS/ prefix for Thomas J Parle.

Regards

Steve

post-1432-0-75601800-1455639530_thumb.jp

post-1432-0-86410300-1455639541_thumb.jp

post-1432-0-38956400-1455639555_thumb.jp

post-1432-0-18028200-1455639571_thumb.jp

Steve,

Thank you! Great editing! I do believe that you are proving your point!

All the best,

Gary

Hi Gary. That's pretty clear then. You were on a bit of a hiding to nothing really as SteveE is one of the finest, and most experienced researchers on the Forum. If you can, get a subscription for the website most of us use, do so. It is so much easier to check facts (once you get the hang of the site) It's free access in Libraries in UK, not sure about Canada? Good luck with your research.

Cheers Mike

Mike, and Steve,

The point I am conceding is that the "GS" prefix was not a common one. That is not to say that it wasn't used. I have an example of its use and Howard has seen another, although his referenced number doesn't check out. In Browne's case, the medal roll, MIC and actual medal all have the "GS". I do wish that his service records had survived! Steve's sampling has turned up a 100% transcription error rate. However, I do find it surprizing that all 1,608 or so could be wrong. Maybe they are. Maybe I need to place this prefix in the anomaly category along with my "R3" one.

All the best,

Gary

And to re-enforce Steve's finding, this just in:

Gary,Have just run a check.The man is Pte T Parle ASC however his prefix appears to be SS-6431.On his MIC the 1st S looks like a G BUT A SECOND CARD confirms SS- as the prefix.I will have to amend my entry in a later edition.I can however confirm GS-6431 DOES appear on the medal not SS- best w, Howard

Another transcription error!

All the best,

Gary

Blimey Mike, high praise indeed, thanks. I'm not sure I'd agree though :blink:

Gary, I agree, the use of the GS/ prefix by the ASC is not a common one, indeed from what I've shown previously I'll venture that they didn't use it at all. However, that is not to say it couldn't end up on records or that medals couldn't end up marked as such, you have an example after all. The prefix GS/ was in general use in other branches of the military so it wouldn't take too much to misinterpret an SS/ for a GS/ and that is what I believe has happened with yours... in my opinion it is an anomaly, similar to your R3/ :thumbsup:

Steve