Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A question of ethics

Sue Light

Interesting thread (particularly liked the bit with the dogs in :lol: )

A few points.

1) What are the legalities of passing on someone's email address to a 3rd party without their express permission. I'm afraid in this day and age, sad that it is, it could be construed as breach of privacy or whatever they call it.

2) I am very cautious about whom I tell what I have as a hobby. Many collectors perhaps don't appreciate the value of what they have hanging from their walls or hidden (probably not well enough) in albums. After all "Loose talk costs lives", "The walls have ears" etc. You never know who's listening, and sure as eggs are eggs, you're average burglar knows he can get a few bob for a couple of medals.

3) Whilst happily not in the position of having any family medals missing (my ancestors all seemed to have avoided their Country's Call - reserved occupations I gather) many medals were sold by the original recipient perhaps 80 years ago. This may be a VERY controversial point, but does a descendant three generations down the line really have the right to expect to be able to buy them from you? It is perhaps only with the recent explosion in interest for family history that many people even became aware that Great Grandfather Bert was even in the war let alone awarded any medals.

Or am I being too cynical or harsh. Up for debate.....

Steve