Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On War Service badges

onwarservice

20 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

That's a lovely set of badges. I particularly like the Bayley's Ltd!

Glad you liked the Bayley's! I think I have a badge for Mills who cranked out the grenade so I'll see if I can dig it out to show you. We made the No 36 here (in New Zealand) during WW2 and I was shown a sectioned one the other week. 

Photo if you'd like it!

I used to visit an old Gallipoli gent who'd been a company bomber in France.

I'll tell you the story he told me of practising throwing the Mills grenade sometime. Safe to say that the quality control was a bit lacking at some points...

2 hours ago, poilu58 said:

I used to visit an old Gallipoli gent who'd been a company bomber in France.

I'll tell you the story he told me of practising throwing the Mills grenade sometime. Safe to say that the quality control was a bit lacking at some points...

PM me. I'd love to hear it.

Hi

Following some exchanges with John, I thought the members might like to see this OWS badge that I've had for several years. I'm guessing that it is for THE maker of the Mills grenade but if anyone can provide more info that would be great!

millsows2.JPG.5500eb261ed465ca266c53345adda5e6.JPG

THAT is a super badge. I'm green with envy! :wub:

Hi John

You might be interested to know that I have a small sterling silver stickpin of a very detailed Mills bomb rattling around here. They were done for one of our local ex-servicemen's clubs way back who ran what they called the "Mills Bomb Trophy".

It was a bowling thing I'm told and probably had a defunct Mills as the centre piece!:D

I've not seen one of these trophies but I've seen similar ones. They usually have left "good taste" at the front door as they entered the room...